The China Syndrome.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

re: Silence

Post by nuhobby »

While I too have seen "China" marks on some of the Shopsmith small catalog pieces I got, I have to applaud that the overall true-Blue USA content is still large.

I got a new DC3300 lately. Even the wheels (which could be generic lawnmower wheels for all I know) were clearly marked "Made in USA." Same for the floor power-switch for the DC3300. Same for the ratcheting face-mask. Same for the ear-muffs.

Someone else on the forum has been to Dayton lately and reported seeing old 10ER machines turning production parts. This sounds really cool!
Chris
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

"I am pretty sure that the assembly of the Mark V is 100% American, but just how many of the parts that go into a Mark V are American made? I do not know. It wood be nice if the answer is "100%". It wood also be nice if someone (Nick?) chipped in and told us, just for our own satisfaction. Silence speaks for itself."

What it tells us, Tim, is that some of us don't read every entry in every thread and may sometimes miss a question when it is directed our way, while others of us are very good at jumping to conclusions. The parts of the Shopsmith are all made in America, and most of them within spitting distance of Dayton, Ohio. We support our own when we can. At the present time, the only tool that we sell that is partly made offshore is the overarm router. The supplier of the plastic castings is an American company, but they have farmed out our particular job to Taiwan.

With all good wishes,
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Nick wrote:........What it tells us, Tim, is that some of us don't read every entry in every thread and may sometimes miss a question when it is directed our way...........
I do understand that, Nick, but I figure that someone from SS will be reading all of them]..........while others of us are very good at jumping to conclusions...... [/quote]Got to chuckle at that one; I do not draw conclusions from the lack of information, I just plant suspicion, and expect to generate an answer.:)
Nick wrote:.........The parts of the Shopsmith are all made in America, and most of them within spitting distance of Dayton, Ohio. We support our own when we can...........
That is very good news to me. I like to support American companies and their employees! It also means that I now have no doubts about continuing to support SS. The price that SS charges is inconsequential, as long as they remain true to our country.
Nick wrote: .......At the present time, the only tool that we sell that is partly made offshore is the overarm router. The supplier of the plastic castings is an American company, but they have farmed out our particular job to Taiwan..........
That is unfortunate, but apparently out of SS's control. I certainly won't hold that against them, but it is good to know. It is also my personal feeling that product made in "The Other China" is of a better quality then that which is made in mainland China. Also, Taiwan does not exactly play along with China's political and moral ideologies. I am NOT up-to-date on our trade relationship with Taiwan, and for me, made in Taiwan is much "lower" then made in USA, but it is definitely "higher" then made in China.

I thank you for, once again, providing an answer that wood otherwise probably go unanswered.:cool: I apologize for "getting your dander up" with my reference to silence. You did not let SS remain silent, did you? You are truly a gentleman and a scholar.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Because I've always tried to be up front and honest with you folks, I feel honor-bound to tell you that recently two of our owners pointed out that our Mark V switches now carry a label that says "Made in Mexico," and the bearings now say "China." Excuse my french, but...crap.

Unfortunately, even for those companies that brag that their products are "Made in America," there is no escaping the new global economy. Catapillar, which not only makes its products in America but is thriving globally, faces exactly the same concern we do. Many smaller parts, bought from outside suppliers, are made gawd-knows-where-by-gawd-knows-who. A friend of mine in the sports apparell business (NASCAR memoribilia -- can't get any more American than that) went out of his way to find American-made shirts for his clientele only to discover later that the cotton was woven in India!

There is something, however, that Shopsmith, Catapillar, and my NASCAR buddy does that allows us all to lay honest claim to the bragging rights of "Made in America." And that is that we make darn sure that the product that leaves our factory works and wears exceedingly well. If something squeaks by that doesn't, we replace it.

Most of our suppliers are honest enough to tell us when there is a change in a part that may effect quality -- where it's made, who makes it, how it's made, and what it's made from. Recently, a supplier proposed a change of material in the fan housing molding of the Shopsmith Dust Sucker. Jim McCann had them make just a few sets from the new material, then did a "destructive test" by sucking up 1"-square hardwood cubes for 12 hours to see if they would eventually punch a hole in the moldings -- far and away more abuse than the machine would ever see in a home workshop. (Drew and I filmed this test and have been hoping for time to edit it and show it on a Sawdust Session.) The new moldings survived with flying colors; Jim okay'd the change.

Compare that quality-control story to another from Joe Christianson, the CEO of Smitty, importers of the "SuperShop." When Joe first began making the SuperShop in China, he had the manufacturers ship the machines with the legs removed to save space and shipping costs. When the machines arrived in the States, it was anybody's guess whether or not the legs would fit. Customers continually complained about having to re-drill one or more of the mounting holes in the legs. Joe's first solution for this quality-control problem was to request that the Chinese fully assemble then disassemble the individual machines in China. When that didn't work -- the Chinese apparently lied about assembling the machine on their side of the pond -- he had to insist that they ship the SuperShop fully assembled with the legs in place and he paid the extra shipping! What do you want to bet that the legs from one SuperShop rarely fit other SuperShops?

We stand behind our legs (pun intended -- but it does paint a strange picture). We also stand behind the switches and bearings, no matter who makes them. I had no idea some of the smaller parts were made out of country until Dusty and Charlese informed me otherwise. Jim apparently did know, and he said the suppliers gave him no heads up. He didn't discover the change until the parts were in house. But he has subjected the parts to the same quality control procedures that were established for these items and has found no quality issues. Will the new switches and bearings have the same life-span as the old ones? Only time will tell. Tests like what I described for the fan housings are a good indicator of reliability and longevity, but no test mimics reality as well as reality.

Thanks for setting me straight, guys.

With all good wishes,
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Nick wrote:Because I've always tried to be up front and honest with you folks, I feel honor-bound to tell you that recently two of our owners pointed out that our Mark V switches now carry a label that says "Made in Mexico," and the bearings now say "China." Excuse my french, but...crap.................
Thanks for coming out with the truth, Nick. Like I said]edit P.S. If you had not said that Mark V parts were 100% made in America, and then found out differently, do you think that SS wood have admitted this or let "silence speak for itself"?[/I]
Tim

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Tim - Where can one purchase these small bearings that are made in America?
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

Chuck, that's a good question and why I eluded to the fact (earlier) that even John Deere and Harley-Davidson have foreign and sometimes Chinese made products.
It is unfortunate but true in today's market place.
Until businesses pop up to produce these items in the USA again we will have to hope that these products don't behave like Chinese Plywood.

Nick, thanks for being an interactive participant on the forum.
Not only do you inform us on the use of Shopsmith products and help us with our project problems, but you've investigated many issues for us.
I appreciate the hard work.
John
P.S. Tim, I agree, Both Taiwan and Mexico are preferable to Chinese made goods. I checked my Porter & Cable router to find that the Motor and base are made in Mexico. My new Triton Mofoo (part of the model #):D is made in Taiwan.
BTW, the Triton is Da Bomb, too bad it isn't manufactured in Oz.:eek: This is part of My problem with buying from sources like Woodcraft. Unless it is a selling point, like Japanese Pull saws, these places don't mention where the product is made.
Maybe that is a good idea for a web based site, "we tell you where its made." :D
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
timster68
Gold Member

Post by timster68 »

a1gutterman wrote: I know that it is beyond your control (heck, you aren't even a SS employee),
Is he an independent contractor? Who pays his salary? (or is he independently rich?)
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

timster68 wrote:Is he an independent contractor? Who pays his salary? (or is he independently rich?)
Nick has stated more then once that he is not a SS employee. He does not elaborate on this, even when asked. Truly, it is not my business, and I have no intention of inquirying; however, if I were to venture a guess, I wood say that, yes, he is probably contracted by/with SS to do the Academy and related things.:)
Tim

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

charlese wrote:Tim - Where can one purchase these small bearings that are made in America?
Hi Chuck,
I have done no research for these bearings. In the Seattle/Tacoma area, there are many bearing suppliers. In the past, I have had no problems buying American made bearings from them. Nothing recent though. I wood certainly make the effort to find and buy]just[/I] because of it's origin; however, to risk repeating myself, I will make every effort to first buy American made.
Tim