The China Syndrome.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

pinkiewerewolf wrote:.............This is part of My problem with buying from sources like Woodcraft. Unless it is a selling point, like Japanese Pull saws, these places don't mention where the product is made.........
I have begun asking before buying. This does sometimes lengthen the time between the discovery of a need, and the fulfillment of that need, but for me, it is worth it. BTW, the name "Japanese Pull Saw" is no guarantee that the saw is not made someplace else, like say, China.
pinkiewerewolf wrote:...........Maybe that is a good idea for a web based site, "we tell you where its made." :D
That wood be one busy website, just with my investigations.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

pinkiewerewolf wrote:Chuck, that's a good question and why I eluded to the fact (earlier) that even John Deere and Harley-Davidson have foreign and sometimes Chinese made products............
I was told, by a Kubota tractor dealer, that some John Deere tractors (the small ones) were made in Japan at the Yanmar factory. When I asked a salesman at my local Deere store about that, he insisted that John Deere made ALL of their own tractors, that they did NOT contract the manufacturing out, but he finally did admit to me that John Deere made some of their tractors at the Japanese Yanmar factory. I find it hard to believe that John Deere has employees that sometimes "use" the Yanmar facilities, while the Yanmar employees stay home.:rolleyes:

BTW, this Kubota dealer told me that most of the Kubota parts were made in America.
Tim

osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

a1gutterman wrote:I was told, by a Kubota tractor dealer
Interesting.. I live perhaps 2 miles away from the Kubota Tractor corp headquarters (in Torrance,CA).. Never owned one though (no need).. Small world.. (sorry for being OT)
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
1983 Mark V model 510 (SN#140061)
dusty
Platinum Member

The China Syndrome

Post by dusty »

In another thread, there was a discussion about bottle jacks and how hard they are to find. Someone stated that they had searched and found most were "made in China". That may very well be true but "I think" I have found a once USA company that manufactures quality goods that has not moved to China for manufacturing.

I found these folks because of the "bottle jack" thread; I went to see where my small bottle jack was made. I have had and used this tool nearly twice as long as I have my Shopsmith.

http://www.business.com/directory/industrial_goods_and_services/machinery_and_tools/hein-werner_corporation/profile/

Don't jump dowm my throat now. I know that they have manufacturing facilities all over the world. But I don't believe they are in China and the jack has proven to be quality.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
shydragon
Gold Member

Post by shydragon »

I've been reading all of these posts and I can agree with most of what is being said. But, the bottom line, we as Americans have brought this on ourselves.

Unions have been mentioned: Unions had their place 50 years ago, but now they hinder production. They want more for doing less.

Years ago, when I first started at ESCO, we had an in house union and we went on strike over 3 cents. I had a chance to go down to the local longshoremans and wait around for work being passed out. I got lucky, and was sent to the port to unload Datsun vehicles from the ships. I thought it was the easiest job, I had ever done. I did this for two days, and I made more than I would have made in a week and half at my regular job. But, in those two days, I listen to the longshoreman complain about the pay, the actual work (what work, walk on to the ship, drive a vehicle off, then do it again), the hazards, the fumes, etc.

What were the results of our strike? We went back to work, three weeks later, for 2 cents. We don't have a union anymore.

When I first got out of the service, I worked for a freeway landscaping company in California. If you drive through Yreka, Redmond, Redding and some of the freeway areas of Sacramento, that is my handiwork.
While doing that job, what I used to see a lot of, were migrant workers, following the crops, and yes, they were american families, parents with their children. I'll bet you don't see that today, because we don't want to do that kind of work. How many Mexicans, Chinese, Japanese, Asians, etc., do you see standing on the freeway entrances holding up a cardboard sign, begging for money. And anyone who feels sorry for them, has to be really naive. I'll be sitting at a light, waiting to go up the ramp, and watch them do a shift change.

Anyway, I could go on and on.
Pat

Oregon

1992 SS 510, 11" Bandsaw on power station, 4" jointer, Pro Planer, Incra Miter 2000, Incra Ultimate Fence Router Pkg, Grizzly 6" Parallelogram Jointer.
greitz
Gold Member

Woodcraft's "Made in the USA" flyer

Post by greitz »

Hey, folks, maybe a trend has been started. Today I got the latest monthly advertisement from Woodcraft in the mail, and they're doing a "Red/white/blue Made in the USA Month". They're promoting all of their "Made in the USA" sales items with a big star next to the description. Some of the "Made in the USA" brands: INCRA, Pinnacle, WHITESIDE, Titebond, Waterlox, Microplane, Flexcut, SNAPPY, General Finishes, Kreg, LIE-NIELSEN, even "Corona White China Brushes". (Funny, I just always assumed that "China brushes" were made in China. You know what they say about "assume"....)

Some of the notable brands NOT listed as "Made in the USA": Festool, Jet, Porter-Cable, Steel City, Freud, Wixey. But they're on sale anyway.

Just FYI.

Gary
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

greitz wrote:Hey, folks, maybe a trend has been started. Today I got the latest monthly advertisement from Woodcraft in the mail, and they're doing a "Red/white/blue Made in the USA Month". They're promoting all of their "Made in the USA" sales items with a big star next to the description. Some of the "Made in the USA" brands: INCRA, Pinnacle, WHITESIDE, Titebond, Waterlox, Microplane, Flexcut, SNAPPY, General Finishes, Kreg, LIE-NIELSEN, even "Corona White China Brushes". (Funny, I just always assumed that "China brushes" were made in China. You know what they say about "assume"....)

Some of the notable brands NOT listed as "Made in the USA": Festool, Jet, Porter-Cable, Steel City, Freud, Wixey. But they're on sale anyway.

Just FYI.

Gary
That IS a nice change of pace. As far as those brands that you mention that are not listed as USA made, I do knot think any of them ever were, except for Porter-Cable, which WAS made in the USA until Black and Decker purchased it.
Tim

shydragon
Gold Member

Post by shydragon »

I was in a woodturning forum and found this article.

http://www.alanlacer.com/articles/ToolSteel.pdf

One of the sets tested, was the 4 piece shopsmith bowl turning set. It says they are made in China. But, not the standard 5 piece set.
Pat

Oregon

1992 SS 510, 11" Bandsaw on power station, 4" jointer, Pro Planer, Incra Miter 2000, Incra Ultimate Fence Router Pkg, Grizzly 6" Parallelogram Jointer.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

shydragon wrote:I was in a woodturning forum and found this article.

http://www.alanlacer.com/articles/ToolSteel.pdf

One of the sets tested, was the 4 piece shopsmith bowl turning set. It says they are made in China. But, not the standard 5 piece set.
Thank you for sharing, Pat. I found that article interesting and I saved it to my hard drive. How did you find out that the standard set is not made in China, and where is it made? It looks to me like I will want to buy those that are made in the UK.
Tim

shydragon
Gold Member

Post by shydragon »

It says this in that same article. At the bottom of the chart, it lists Shopsmith3, and just to the right is country of origin. The "3" at the bottom of the chart mentions this as the 4 piece bowl turning set, but adds this is not the standard 5 piece set. I'm not sure where that is made.
Pat

Oregon