Mark VII Info, maybe good maybe bad

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dgreen810
Gold Member

Mark VII Info, maybe good maybe bad

Post by dgreen810 »

I was sitting in the shop watching the golf tournament and looked around admiring some of my goodies when it suddenly brought my attention to my Delta 14-070 14" floor standing drill press. Why might you ask? A few months ago I purchased a Mark VII and ended up junking it out because the motor needed to be rewired, and the plastic rack came off in pieces to name a few negatives. I had read of others trying to solve the plastic rack problem from making one of wood, paying a ridicules amount of money to have one machined of aluminum or steel. I don't remember reading a post with this suggestion, if so let me know and I will delete it.

Back to the Delta, looking at the raise and lower rack, it seems to look exactly like the plastic rack I threw in the garbage can. I still have the worm gear and shaft that came off the Mark VII and it seems to fit the teeth on the Delta raise rack. It is about 25-27" long (Teeth), about the same width 5/8" approximately and the concave about the same as the way tube on the SS. Yes the shaft on the Delta is little larger but when they cut the concave,it's not too critical, and it would probably fit the SS.

You can order the raise rack part # 131008 from Delta for $19.76 plus shipping.

I sure wish I still had the old Mark VII just to see if I could make it work.

Like I said maybe good, or maybe bad

If anybody wants a copy of the part list and schematic of the Delta 14-70 send me message.

Good luck

Don G
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Mark VII Info, maybe good maybe bad

Post by algale »

I don't have Mark VII but I like your ingenuity and I bet at those prices it would be worth taking a flier if you wanted to replace your Mark VII rack.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So much fer false hope! :D
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (8.93 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
:( :( :(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG wrote:So much fer false hope! :D
Clipboard01.jpg
:( :( :(
Try here: http://stores.renovoparts.com/1312008-rack-for-17-900/ :)
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

As a follow-up, I disassembled the drive on my Mark VII head stock and removed the tracking gear. As you can see in the attached photos, it meashes perfectly with the raise and lower rack on my Delta 14" free standing drill press.

Don Green
Attachments
IMGP4211.JPG
IMGP4211.JPG (530.44 KiB) Viewed 4160 times
IMGP4212.JPG
IMGP4212.JPG (456.27 KiB) Viewed 4160 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dgreen810 wrote:As a follow-up, I disassembled the drive on my Mark VII head stock and removed the tracking gear. As you can see in the attached photos, it meashes perfectly with the raise and lower rack on my Delta 14" free standing drill press.

Don Green
Thank You for posting those pix. I received a rack from Renovoparts yesterday and it appears to have the teeth skewed at a slight angle.

The profile matches the gear as does yours, but the pinion becomes misaligned due to the skew.

Pix coming.
rack teeth skew 1312008.jpg
rack teeth skew 1312008.jpg (567.91 KiB) Viewed 4151 times
Could you please verify your rack and pinion gear(the drill press gear) have both have straight teeth before I go into unhappy customer mode.

TIA (again)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

James

The rack teeth on my Delta are not skewed. They are at 90 degrees. I am thinking the rack you received in not a direct replacement for the original Delta rack. The reason I say this is the rack you have pictured would not work on my drill press. I think a call to your supplier is in order.

James notice in my photos the gear from the Mark VII is setting at 90 degrees to the rack.

Don G
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Back in the first post you mentioned part# 131008. Could you please verify that is the part # in your manual. I think yours is an earlier model than the '14-070' parts listed by delta on line. The part# I ordered was 1312008. I Assumed then the '2' was dropped when you typed it. Now I think otherwise!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

JPG

You have an email

Don G
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

JPG

Your right I did make a typo error in my first post. It should have read 1312008. You obviously ordered the correct number, however I still believe the rack you received is not correct. There is no way a rack with skewed teeth would work on my drill press. I noticed Renovoparts (spelling ?) also lists the pinion gear part number 1311007 if you give them a call get someone to take a look at it and see if the teeth are skewed. I would bet they are not.

Don G