Today in the shop (500 ext. table conversion to studs)

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Today in the shop (500 ext. table conversion to studs)

Post by edma194 »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:04 pm Ed,

You said,
I want to get all my tables set up for this so I can mount sets of floating tables and extension tables together on two lengths of drilled angle iron so they'll be in alignment without relying on 510 connecting tubes. I can also make more extension tables using the legs from 500 extension tables that I don't have much use for.
Attaching the Floating Tables to the Extension Table with angle iron will limit setup possibilities by having them in a "fixed" position instead of being able to have the Floating Tables positioned where needed for a particular setup. Is the possible gain in alignment worth the loss of flexibility? As I have said in other threads, I have never used a Mark V as a 510 so I don't know how much of a problem alignment is for the 510 Floating Tables.

I do understand the desire to have an additional Extension Table available. I have an extra Extension Table for the Mark 7 that goes on the left side for support besides the original one for the right side. Handy in some setups and the Extension Tables can be aligned for the Ends they are used on. That goes back to a different alignment thread.
I have a lot of floating tables, and extra extension tables also. So I would set up the configuration of an extension table and 2 floating tables locked together and I can remove that and use regular extension and floating tables when other configurations are needed. If I lock together 3 tables I can also put legs on all of them so I can set the tables up with any one of them mounted in the SPT holes for different positioning of the table set.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

edma194 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:19 pm I don't understand why use carriage bolts. I'd use a hex bolt that's easy to drive in and out by the head.
I think his comment was that what he had on hand...
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

dusty wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:09 pm I occasionally feel the need to align the tables. This is a seldom occurrence but when it happens I lay all of the tables upside down on my work bench, loosen all the screws so that the rails move freely on the tables. I then install long table tubes into the rails and secure then (with the tables all pushed together side-by-side). Using a piece of rectangular bar stock (could be done with a piece of wood), I position the rails and secure asll of the bolts and nuts that tie the tables to the rails.

If the table legs on the Main Table were not moved - the task is complete.

Extension Tables can be included . If so, the nuts on those need to be loosened to and they need to be tightened only after being installed back on the Shopsmith along with the Main Table.

I don't use Shopsmith Table Tubes for this though. I have two 8' thick walled aluminum tubes that I bought from Metals Depot. Near perfectly straight.
I like this approach also. As noted above I have extra tables I can connect in a set, but for random configurations this is a good idea. I have tried to set up tables upside down on a flat surface like that, and clamped onto a piece of angle iron, but I was just tightening up the screws on the connecting tubes instead of adjusting the rails, so it was easy for the tables to get knocked out of alignment. I don't need that high degree of alignment very often, but when I do it can be annoying to go through the setup. It's not like these configuration changes are all that difficult but I have to fight ADD alll the time and those setup changes can stop my progress quickly.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

HopefulSSer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:19 pm
edma194 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:19 pm I don't understand why use carriage bolts. I'd use a hex bolt that's easy to drive in and out by the head.
I think his comment was that what he had on hand...
Heh! My shop is full of things built with what's on hand.
Ed from Rhode Island

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed,

Between my Mark 7 and Mark V 520 I have 3 Extension Table and 6 Floating Tables plus a bunch of different length connector tubes (some non-Shopsmith). I guess if I felt I could not get the alignment correct with the normal way of connecting tables than I could see myself looking for different ways to improve table alignment too.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:21 pm Ed,

Between my Mark 7 and Mark V 520 I have 3 Extension Table and 6 Floating Tables plus a bunch of different length connector tubes (some non-Shopsmith). I guess if I felt I could not get the alignment correct with the normal way of connecting tables than I could see myself looking for different ways to improve table alignment too.
Not so much not getting the alignment correct, more about the time taken to do so. It's quite easy to align a single extension table with the main table using a straightedge, that's all there was to do on the 500 table system. I'm putting together a larger extension table, made from multiple floating or extension tables locked together so it is effectively a large extension table. I might make more than one large extension table like that so I can mount one on side of the machine, mainly to use all the tables together as a long work bench.
Ed from Rhode Island