Model 500 switch-wire clip location?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Greetings,

I've started another restoration. This model 500 will need work on the quill bearings, drive sleeve bearings, control sheave, speed control, and belts. Also, the motor fan-sheave has about 1/16" of 'wobble' which I've isolated to the shape of the sheave itself (the motor-shaft and sheave-spacer and floating-sheave are fine).

So... several parts are now ordered or otherwise being addressed.

Question: Down in the motor pan I found a white-colored wire-clip which is probably originally for the switch-wire harness. Being as my only physical reference machine is a new 510 "C" model, I don't know exactly how/where to put this wire-clip on a 500 "B" model. Does it go on a speed-control screw, for instance? And does it need a nut to hold it?

thanks!
Chris
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Yes the clip was held on by the speed control screw. Most have broken and/or fallen off over time. I do not use them. I use plastic ties every 2" to hold the wires together going to the switch and make sure the wires goes between the end of the headstock and over the headstock lock shaft so the wires do not touch the speed control assy.
nuhobby wrote:Greetings,

I've started another restoration. This model 500 will need work on the quill bearings, drive sleeve bearings, control sheave, speed control, and belts. Also, the motor fan-sheave has about 1/16" of 'wobble' which I've isolated to the shape of the sheave itself (the motor-shaft and sheave-spacer and floating-sheave are fine).

So... several parts are now ordered or otherwise being addressed.

Question: Down in the motor pan I found a white-colored wire-clip which is probably originally for the switch-wire harness. Being as my only physical reference machine is a new 510 "C" model, I don't know exactly how/where to put this wire-clip on a 500 "B" model. Does it go on a speed-control screw, for instance? And does it need a nut to hold it?

thanks!
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)