Sawdust Session #14: Feb 23, 2008 Rust

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gk777
Gold Member

Sawdust Session #14: Feb 23, 2008 Rust

Post by gk777 »

Nick,

In this sawdust session you show a do-dad that you put in the shopsmith chuck to use as a abrasive shine to a machinist square. Can you tell me the name of this device or were I can find it?

I just bought some rusty hand tools at an auction and I need to shine them up. I thought this would be a good way to try. Although I will still probably try naval jelly. I really want to try the electrolalysis method but my wife says she wants to film it so she can get some money from funniest home videos.:eek:
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

gk777 wrote:Nick,

In this sawdust session you show a do-dad that you put in the shopsmith chuck to use as a abrasive shine to a machinist square. Can you tell me the name of this device or were I can find it?

I just bought some rusty hand tools at an auction and I need to shine them up. I thought this would be a good way to try. Although I will still probably try naval jelly. I really want to try the electrolalysis method but my wife says she wants to film it so she can get some money from funniest home videos.:eek:
I think you asking about the same I asked about. It is called a twist lock ? And I found it at Sears. You can buy the mandle and one pad under $5 or a set with a mandle and couple of pads for less than $10
Ed
chrispitude
Gold Member

Post by chrispitude »

If it were me, I would definitely try the electrolytic rust removal first. Then search this forum for some of the threads discussing Penetroil, an oil-based paint additive that doubles as a rust preventative.

- Chris
gk777
Gold Member

Post by gk777 »

Thanks Guys, i will look into that stuff.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

The type of abrasive that removes rust and stains is called a "surface conditioning" abrasive. It is available in many different forms. Try this link:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 5CPWS904gl

The mechanism that allows you to quickly mount and dismount the discs varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. 3M has a sytem called "Roloc." I've also seen "Easy-Lok" and "Speed-Lock." I'm sure there are more. Since there is a Tool Crib outlet near Shopsmith, I use whatever it is that they stock.

With all good wishes,