Plywood chip out with dado blades

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

moggymatt
Platinum Member

Plywood chip out with dado blades

Post by moggymatt »

Any good ideas on how to minimize chip out on prefinished plywood when using the dado blade? I'd like my edges to come out as good as Norms.
Paul B
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Re: Plywood chip out with dado blades

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Use a strip of painter's tape over the cut line. It helps...
GeorgeM
Gold Member

Post by GeorgeM »

moggymatt wrote:Any good ideas on how to minimize chip out on prefinished plywood when using the dado blade? I'd like my edges to come out as good as Norms.
In addition to using tape, you could pre-score the cutting line.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

My dado set is a Tenryu and used to cut huge bat wings. I intended to use the set for box joints and the bat wings were a no-no. I sent it out to have the two outside blades re-formed to eliminate them. I'm not sure what the sharpening service did exactly but, when I got them back not only did it produce absolutely flat bottomed dadoes, but there was no tear out in hardwood or plywood.
Possibly, if you describe your tear out problem to a good sharpening service, they might be able to sharpen the set to a configuration that would at least minimize the tear out.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Did you view this Sawdust Session? http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... abbets.htm

Fast-forward to about the 19 minute mark to get to the discussion you will be interested in. Hint: he scores the sides of the dado using a square and a utility knife before cutting it.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

The tape and scoring method are about the only two methods I know of. The scoring method works the best but with both methods you will need a zero clearance insert for the dado blade. Get the dado blade adjusted to the width you need and then create the ZCI so the insert fits the dado blade exactly.
Paul
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

How about first dadoing a very shallow cut - only through the face veneer. This will work on some plywoods as the thickness of plys differ between types of boards.

Tape combined with a VERY light first cut has worked for me. :)

I've tried scoring, but always manage to slip the knife of the square. :mad:
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

I've had good luck with all of the above (tape, scoring, shallow cut) plus a good sharp plywood blade.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I have stopped using the dado blade and now prefer using a router with the appropriate cutter and a home made guide
Bill V
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

wa2crk wrote:I have stopped using the dado blade and now prefer using a router with the appropriate cutter and a home made guide
Bill V
Me, too.

However, the majority of my dado cuts are in larger pieces.

I feel more comfortable and in better control when I pass the router bit through (aka blade over) the material where I can see the cut rather than passing the material over the dado blades where I cannot see the cut.

I was helping a friend build some tall books shelves. We bought American Eagle "plywood dado" router bits which worked like a charm. Frankly they were a bit pricey at more than $60 for the set. Where they really shined was making the stopped dado!! We put the two uprights flat, side by side and lightly clamped them so the wouldn't shift. laid out the interior shelf locations, started a plunge cut on one side (the stopped portion) made the cut across both pieces, stopping short on the other side. For the top and bottom simple through dados. Everything fit well, glue up was nice!! :D

Sorry, not a solution to the current dado blade dilemma :o but a thought for future projects.

Be well,
Ben

PS. In the past I have used both tape or an exacto knife to precut. I preferred the ease of the tape. Plus too often the blade would stray! :o :rolleyes: - yup operator error!