conical sanding.disc

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

richardrouse
Gold Member

conical sanding.disc

Post by richardrouse »

What's everyone's take on theconical sanding disk? I saw it and thought it looked cool. But I already have the jointer attachment...
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: conical sanding.disc

Post by JPG »

richardrouse wrote:What's everyone's take on theconical sanding disk? I saw it and thought it looked cool. But I already have the jointer attachment...

Tried running end grain through the jointer?

Tried running burl through the jointer?

Tried sharpening jointer/planer blades with the jointer?

Point being they have different capabilities.

Yes one can 'joint' with the conical sander, but that is not all.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Very useful tool. I use mine all the time. There are times as JPG says that a saw or jointer won't work. I have been meaning to get another one in fact. It would be nice to have one with a coarse grit and one with a fine grit already set up.
Paul
richardrouse
Gold Member

Post by richardrouse »

I hadn't really thought about the sharpening applications. Sounds like I'll hhave to put that in my shopping cart
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You need one! That is my take.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I've only used my conical disk for sharpening plane and jointer blades. I have been unsuccessful jointing the edge of boards. The edges I have sanded are usually not at right angles to the faces.

The problem I had was getting the angle of the table perfectly at right angles to the slope of the disk. I was only off by maybe a half degree, but enough that the jointed boards would not glue up with flat faces, or a bad (partly open) joint.

Maybe I could have flipped one of the boards to make a good joint, but then would have lost the chosen face grain.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

To joint with the conical disk sander requires some tedious setup but it can be done. Charlese, I just know you were closer than a half of a degree.

Maybe you need a couple digital gauges. It is all about "precision".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

masonsailor2 wrote:Very useful tool. I use mine all the time. There are times as JPG says that a saw or jointer won't work. I have been meaning to get another one in fact. It would be nice to have one with a coarse grit and one with a fine grit already set up.
Paul
Think fine, medium, course! ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

dusty wrote:To joint with the conical disk sander requires some tedious setup but it can be done. Charlese, I just know you were closer than a half of a degree.

Thanks, Dusty! However I feel there are already enough "gauges" in my shop. I'll just remain happy with jointing on the jointer and also "Gang jointing" in the thickness planer.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

charlese wrote:
dusty wrote:To joint with the conical disk sander requires some tedious setup but it can be done. Charlese, I just know you were closer than a half of a degree.

Thanks, Dusty! However I feel there are already enough "gauges" in my shop. I'll just remain happy with jointing on the jointer and also "Gang jointing" in the thickness planer.

Correct :D :D :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT