Apple branch looking for a project but what?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Apple branch looking for a project but what?

Post by reible »

So last fall a larger branch was damaged in our apple tree. I had to remove it and when I did I noticed how cool the inside looked. I had no idea what I could use it for but I wanted to save it. I stuck the slices in a brown paper bag of sawdust/wood chips and other sweepings. Then the other week I pulled one out at random and chucked it up in the lathe and cleaned up the face. I added some sanding sealer to give it some color back and then have had it sitting around since then. Still looking for some inspiration to come.

This is typical of the sizes I have, all of them are in the general thickness of 1-1/4" and slightly more then 2-1/4" in diameter.
IMG_8210sc.jpg
IMG_8210sc.jpg (68.57 KiB) Viewed 4219 times
IMG_8211sc.jpg
IMG_8211sc.jpg (67.58 KiB) Viewed 4219 times
Now keeping in mind this is from a branch and not trunk wood and I'd like to see the interesting patterns anyone have an idea for me? I didn't count them but lets say there might be around 15 or so in the bag. It is also possible that some have cracks or other defects so I might have less then I'm thinking.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Apple branch looking for a project but what?

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

See if this sparks any ideas.
image.jpg
image.jpg (73.2 KiB) Viewed 4204 times
A cutting board comes to mind, but it just might be too pretty to use.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Could use them for pendants...
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

You could cut into thin (1/8") slices and make coasters of scroll them into Christmas ornaments, maybe little angles or reindeer.

But I'd make a nice business card holder, because I need one. Cut into 4" 'log' then rip along one edge making a flat so it wouldn't roll and then rip out a 90 degree pie shaped (something that will hold & prevent the cards from slipping out.

Finally, and I've not done this, apple wood is supposed to be great in a smoker.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

How about a backlit shadow box using thin slices ? Glue the slices by trimming them to mate to each other without gaps on a piece of glass and the back light it with an LED panel. Might be striking.
Paul
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Thanks for the ideas! Still not sure what I will end up doing but at least I have more ideas then I did before.

I wonder how thin I could slice these and still have them hold together without having to add some structure to them for strength???

A cutting board could also be interesting, reserved for ceramic knives and fruit and cheeses......

The coaster idea had come to me but they are a little small for that, well maybe not if I select only the larger ones for that purpose.

The business card holder could be done with a single dado cut across at some slight angle, making it super simple.

Pendants, mmmmm that might be cool.

Another thought was to stick a super magnet in the back and hold/hang papers or such things off a metal surface.

Anyway, I still open to other ideas if you have any.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Cut one into two wedges by a diagonal cut through the bark. Quick and dirty pair of doorstops.

Gary
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Shame you didn't save the branch itself. Maybe next time!

I recently made a cute little keepsake box out of an apple branch that had been stored outside for 5 years, was dry and hard. Simply took slices of relatively straight pieces of the branch - - planed them to 1/4" short board sand edge glued them. Made a 10"X 4"X 5" tall.

I'll see if there is a photo available.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
kenbu
Gold Member

Post by kenbu »

These key rings are fun to make: https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/60 ... Kit-3-Pack

Ken
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

Napkin Rings?