Planer to remove polyurethane on oak floorboards?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hjlssfor1
Gold Member

Planer to remove polyurethane on oak floorboards?

Post by hjlssfor1 »

I have some salvage red and white oak floor boards that were stained and sealed (polyurethane, I assume) on one side. I planed off the unsealed back sides to remove the ridges, and I now would like to use some of the boards as drawer fronts. I have a helical head planer. Would it be a good or bad idea to use the planer to remove the sealer? My concern is whether the process would gum up the cutters. Thanks, Hank
charlese
Platinum Member

Re: Planer to remove polyurethane on oak floorboards?

Post by charlese »

In my experience, removing a finish with a planer is a VERY QUICK way to ruin blades.

Here's some history - http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... ner#p20754
Last edited by charlese on Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

What does your owners manual say? I have used my planer (with standard blades) on some boards with poly on them, and the feed rollers have a hard time gripping the board to pull it through. At the very least, you might consider roughing up the surface with some coarse sandpaper. As charlese says, it's probably not a good idea.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Coarse sanding with conical sanding disk.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
hjlssfor1
Gold Member

Post by hjlssfor1 »

Thanks, all, for your assistance. The conical sanding disc sounds perfect, and I will give it a go. Hank
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

Citristrip first, removing the gelled finish with putty knife. Then plane away without ruining your helical blades.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I have done something similar a few years ago with oak that was reclaimed from a gym floor. We used a Grizzly with a spiral head and had no issues. It probably will depend on what the finish is. The biggest issue was the dust extraction. We had to stop periodically and unclog the dust collection chute on the planer but it wasn't that bad. I am assuming that you have a spiral head with carbide cutters. I would run a piece through and see how it goes. A polyurethane or varnish is not going to damage the carbide cutters but it could gum them up. Solvent and a brush will cure that. Much the same way you have to clean the cutters with terpentine after planing really sappy would. Using stripper might be an option if you are only doing a few pieces but if it's a large amount that could be a nasty job.
Paul
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Any kind of finish, even after it has been stripped, will tend to dull the planer blades more rapidly than normal. It does not "ruin" them; it just necessitates their being resharpened.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Interesting point Dusty. I wonder what the hardness rating of say polyurethane is or how it compares to a hardwood ? The carbide cutters on a spiral cutter head are pretty durable. It takes a lot to dull them. I wonder if there is data for finish hardness ?
Paul
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

Since you are wanting to do drawer fronts, why not use a bandsaw or tablesaw to cut the poly-side off and then run through the planer to flatten again? Depending on the thickness of the blade you are using you should be able to keep most of the wood. For example, woodgears.ca often mounts a circular saw blade in his table saw because they are much thinner. There is also some of the super thin kerf blades from infinity tools that could work as well.