Need help identifying something

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

supermansrf
Silver Member

Need help identifying something

Post by supermansrf »

I recently found a decent deal on a local Mark V. It looks like a late 70's model. There are a few things that came with it that I can't identify. I would love some input on what this is and would be used for please.

The first photo looks like some kind of chuck. There are several of those little jaws that you can see sitting next to the chuck (maybe 12 extras that all look the same as the 4 loaded in it).
IMG_4100.JPG
IMG_4100.JPG (408.6 KiB) Viewed 2758 times
This one may be a bit harder. But there are several of these "springs" as well. Most are this size (about 1.5" diameter) and a few that are smaller (about .75" dia). Any ideas what these are for too?
IMG_4101.JPG
IMG_4101.JPG (489.19 KiB) Viewed 2758 times
megastevo81
Gold Member

Re: Need help identifying something

Post by megastevo81 »

One of my 10e's came with the same looking chuck as that. It didn't come with any jaws like that tho. Just a faceplate ring and the dovetail jaws to mount it on the chuck.

Marty
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

It is an old type of lathe chuck. The jaws should be in sets of four with different inside diameters. the springs go into the grooves on the inside of the jaws before they are mounted in the chuck. when the ring that holds the jaws in the chuck is opened the jaws would then open. you would mount a spindle blank between centers and turn a spigot/tenon that closely matches one of the jaw sets then you could mount the work piece in the chuck. The other type of chuck that megastevo has mentioned is for turning bowls.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

bettyt44720 wrote:It is an old type of lathe chuck. The jaws should be in sets of four with different inside diameters. the springs go into the grooves on the inside of the jaws before they are mounted in the chuck. when the ring that holds the jaws in the chuck is opened the jaws would then open. you would mount a spindle blank between centers and turn a spigot/tenon that closely matches one of the jaw sets then you could mount the work piece in the chuck. The other type of chuck that megastevo has mentioned is for turning bowls.
I concurrent. And I'm interested in how this was mounted to the shopsmith, an adapter or?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

They are similar in function to a collet which is a one piece segmented insert used in the same way, as the individual segments come together in much the same way along a taper when tightened. Each has a specific grip range.

The only collets I have are for my early 1900's jewelers lathe, but they are used extensively in all sizes of lathes.
collets.jpg
collets.jpg (5.92 KiB) Viewed 2716 times
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

It's a precision chuck made by Sorbey. I have one with all the attachments including the Metal box it came in. Very handy chuck. Mine came with a 5/8" bore adapter for a Shopsmith. The picture shows a 1" 8TPI for a Jet lathe

Don G
Attachments
IMGP2762.JPG
IMGP2762.JPG (496.13 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
IMGP2830.JPG
IMGP2830.JPG (99.75 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
IMGP3188.JPG
IMGP3188.JPG (630.67 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
IMGP3201.JPG
IMGP3201.JPG (775.66 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
IMGP3202.JPG
IMGP3202.JPG (711.62 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
IMGP3203.JPG
IMGP3203.JPG (624.92 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
IMGP9386 re.jpg
IMGP9386 re.jpg (118.1 KiB) Viewed 2652 times
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

After posting the photos of the Precision Chuck, I got to thinking and had trouble figuring out how it mounted on a Shopsmith originally. I knew it was used like any other chuck on the spindle when I bought it but just couldn't quite recall how. This was about 30 years ago and senility has set in. After going through some old manuals I found the answer with a note in one of them. I had purchased a Jet Mini lathe with a 1" 8TPI spindle and wanted to use this chuck. Took it to a machine shop and had it bored out to 18 x 3 TPI so a Technatool "D" adapter would fit. I already had a 5/8 straight Shopsmith to 1" 8 TPI adapter (last photo), so now all my chucks can be used either on the Jet or Shopsmith.

In another 30 years I will forget this explanation and will need to start the detective work all over again. :)

Don G
Ohgary
Gold Member

Post by Ohgary »

I found one of these adapters when I bought my model 500. Image IMGP9386re.jpg. Now I know what to call it but not sure how it is used. Guys?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Ohgary wrote:I found one of these adapters when I bought my model 500. Image IMGP9386re.jpg. Now I know what to call it but not sure how it is used. Guys?

My guess would be an adapter to fit someones threaded lathe chuck to the SS.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Ohgary
Gold Member

Post by Ohgary »

Nope, second mistake I have made today. My mystery part does not have a set screw and has both internal and external threads. It is too small to fit on the headstock spindle in any case.

Maybe it is part of a guitar. ;)