Lowes says I'm not a veteran anymore

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Lowes says I'm not a veteran anymore

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:I guess I don't quit understand. If you are other than active duty military, active reserve, retired military or disabled veteran, you are not qualified. It is as simple as that.

If this irritates you, does it also irritate you that I have medical coverage, or that I have the ability to shop in a Base Exchange, or that I have Commissary privileges. I even get a monthly pay check from the Government. Those benefits are "my retirement program". The one I served 20+ years to become entitled to.

When you separated, you had the option to hang in there and you did not. You went about life doing your own thing whatever that was. Maybe it did not pan out like you had hoped but that is life dude. But then again, maybe you are earning a healthy retirement check that makes mine looks like a kids allowance. Well, that is life too. I could have made a different decision when I chose to remain active duty but I did not. Instead, I earned a 10% discount at Lowe's and Home Depot. Golden Corral on special days, too.

Now it is my turn to SHUT UP.
Perfectly stated Dusty.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

jsburger wrote: Are you a Vietnan Vet? If so I understand your attitude.

Do you know what medical care is available at the VA because of your service? You should check it out. You might be surprised. At the least you can get preventive treatment (colonoscopy, flu shots etc.).

I am a Vietnam vet. I did my time in Vietnam in the US Marine Corps. I was one of the lucky ones. They got me back with all my body parts intact and no bullet holes. I did lose much of my hearing because I was in artillery, and very few old artillerymen have decent hearing.
However, have never asked for or taken a penny from VA because I believe that money is for the guys that didn't make it back in one piece. I was fully able to hold a job my entire life in spite of bad hearing.
I don't feel that I am entitled to any special treatment for my time in the military. I feel I'm entitled to only what I earn.

I have used the Lowes discount on Memorial Day when I qualify, and I thank them for giving me something I didn't earn.
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

reible wrote:Lowes corporate policy is one thing but I have found that some stores have a local policy that gives the discount to any veteran. You can ask and if they say no then that is how it is. On the other hand if they say yes you get your discount. I have had both happen to me and I personally don't feel bad if they say no.

I also have a Lowes card and you can use that every day and get 5% off or special financing if you want it. That is at least some incentive to shop there rather then another store. I still shop around but I always add the Lowes to my stores to look at if for no other reason then there extra discounts. Don't always buy there but I do at least look.

I'm also a combat veteran and serving my country for more then my required term was never going to happen, one year of that was more then enough army life for me. You never look at life the same after you have been in combat.

Ed
Ed, thank you for your service. Now I'm headed to Lowes with the little plastic wallet sized DD-214 I received upon separation after 3 years in Germany in the seventies. Wish me luck. I wouldn't mind saving a twenty dollar bill on this small scaffold. http://www.lowes.com/pd_159201-46486-I- ... Id=3930243
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

tomsalwasser wrote: I wouldn't mind saving a twenty dollar bill on this small scaffold. http://www.lowes.com/pd_159201-46486-I- ... Id=3930243
You might save twice that if you have a Northern Tool around...
http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop ... line=false
Plus there are coupons online, for another $25 off. ($65 off Lowes price)
greasemonkey2275
Gold Member

Post by greasemonkey2275 »

Personally I would like to thank all of the veterans no matter how long they served. I still find it hard to believe that it will have been one year since my retirement ceremony last year; my how time flies. After I retired I went to work for Lowe's and as far as the discount goes, it really depends on the store manager and their policy. Memorial Day and Veteran's Day were the two company mandated discount days but our store manager, a veteran himself, specifically told the department manager fr the cashiers that as long as a veteran could show proof of service, then they would receive a discount. I know that this is not going to apply at all of the Lowe's stores but sometimes it really comes down to the store manager and what they implement outside of the mandated days. IF you are really dead set on getting your discount you can always as to speak with one of the Assistant Store Managers (ASM) or the Store Manager but I am sure that the reason behind you serving this great nation was not for a handout of any kind. Thank you again to all of those who have served!
Jake

Spokane, WA
Shopsmith Mark V S/N: 354008 Born: 1958/Restored: 2015
Magna Bandsaw S/N: 31575 Born: 1956/Restored 2016
Magna Jointer S/N: 67527 Born: 1958/Restored: 2015
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

I may as well weigh in on this. I spent 6 years in the Corps but don't ask for discounts. Every time I go to Taco Bueno they gave me a 10% senior discount. One day I had a USMC hat on and they gave me a 20% discount; just told me that all veterans got it. I've even seen seniors just say, "I'm a vet" and get the discount, no questions asked. Class act and they have good food.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

greasemonkey2275 wrote:Personally I would like to thank all of the veterans no matter how long they served. I still find it hard to believe that it will have been one year since my retirement ceremony last year; my how time flies. After I retired I went to work for Lowe's and as far as the discount goes, it really depends on the store manager and their policy. Memorial Day and Veteran's Day were the two company mandated discount days but our store manager, a veteran himself, specifically told the department manager fr the cashiers that as long as a veteran could show proof of service, then they would receive a discount. I know that this is not going to apply at all of the Lowe's stores but sometimes it really comes down to the store manager and what they implement outside of the mandated days. IF you are really dead set on getting your discount you can always as to speak with one of the Assistant Store Managers (ASM) or the Store Manager but I am sure that the reason behind you serving this great nation was not for a handout of any kind. Thank you again to all of those who have served!
What you said is not true. The store manager should have nothing to do with it. Now if the store manager wants to give vets with just a DD214 the daily discount I guess he can but he cannot deny those with a valid ID card the daily discount. If your store manager is a veteran he should know the corporate policy on the veterans discount.

The policy is everyone that is either active duty, retired or receiving VA compensation get the discount every day. They have a military ID card or a VA ID card. This applies to all family members with an ID card. All other vets without an ID card get the discount on Memorial day, Veterans day and the 4th of July by showing a copy of their DD214. It applies to the entire three day weekend for those holidays.

I don't know why there is so much confusion about this? The policy is clearly stated on the Lowes web site.

http://www.lowes.com/cd_In-Store+Servic ... 20Discount

"Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services1 and to honor Retired Veterans and VA Recipients.2 This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family3 of those who are currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.

To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:

Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card.

Or:

Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).

We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidays only.

The Military Discount must be used on personal purchases only and cannot be used for Lowes.com purchases, previous sales, or the purchase of gift cards or services including product installations. It cannot be combined with the Lowe’s Price Guarantee, or promotions such as "Spend and Get," "New Mover," "Project Starter," "Your Choice," or discounts such as Quote Support Program (QSP) quotes.

1 Armed Services — US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, US Marine Corps, US Coast Guard, or the National Guard and who are in active, reserve, or retired status.
2 Retired Veterans and VA Recipients — Veterans who have retired after 20 years of service and/or those who receive VA Benefits
3 Immediate Family — Spouses and/or dependent children (up to 18 years old.)"
Last edited by jsburger on Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jjbuzard
Gold Member

Post by jjbuzard »

Home Depot in my area gives a 10% discount to all vets and provides special parking to "Purple Heart" recipients. Good for them. I get my discount at Lowes and Home Depot. But not at Menards they say we don't give it to firemen or police so we don't give it to vets. I said "You should give it to all 3."
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

jjbuzard wrote:Home Depot in my area gives a 10% discount to all vets and provides special parking to "Purple Heart" recipients. Good for them. I get my discount at Lowes and Home Depot. But not at Menards they say we don't give it to firemen or police so we don't give it to vets. I said "You should give it to all 3."
Yes the Home Depot military discount police is virtually identical to Lowes.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

jjbuzard wrote:Home Depot in my area gives a 10% discount to all vets and provides special parking to "Purple Heart" recipients. Good for them. I get my discount at Lowes and Home Depot. But not at Menards they say we don't give it to firemen or police so we don't give it to vets. I said "You should give it to all 3."
As if John Menard does not have enough money.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)