Father's Day Catalog

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

I will be in a better position to answer that, Paul, when Drew and I have refurbished and upgraded the 1964 Goldie we just bought. At the present time, I have no experience with upgraded machines and little understanding of the difference between upgraded 500s and born-that-way 520s.

With all good wishes,
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If you paint it, you won't be able to tell one from another except serial number.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Not the way we're going to paint it.

With all good wishes,
johnm
Gold Member

Post by johnm »

Nick wrote:Just a thought, Chris, but something you 500-owners should be aware of. There are very, very few consumer tool manufacturers that service a 60+-year-old product line, and none so small as us. We may not be able to do this forever if we are going to move forward on other products. I can't say anything more on this subject because there really isn't anything to say, but this is a concern that we grapple with daily. If you need 500 repair parts, it may be smart to order them sooner rather than later. That comment is not based on inside information, just common sense.

With all good wishes,
I thought about this a bunch while waiting for my saw guard and whether or not I should really upgrade to the 510. My feeling was, this 500 is in pretty good shape and I want to make it safe for me to learn a bit about woodworking. If I decide I really like it and I can use the better capabilities of the 510/520, then maybe I should sell the 500 to another beginner and find a used 510 rather than upgrade.

You're right, Nick...the support SS has given these 50+ year old tools is outstanding and points to just how solid the original design was. I also have a 50 year old Dewalt radial arm saw, and the "new" (yellow and black) Dewalt doesn't do anything to support these fine old saws. Thanks to the internet community, many of these are still thriving, but finding parts is a real chore.

One of my first projects will be to make a stand for my Dewalt...then I can have a "saw-off" and see who wins :)
John Mallick
Dripping Springs, TX

Beginning Woodworker
Passable Barbecue'er
perryobear
Gold Member

Post by perryobear »

Nick wrote:Just a thought, Chris, but something you 500-owners should be aware of. There are very, very few consumer tool manufacturers that service a 60+-year-old product line, and none so small as us. We may not be able to do this forever if we are going to move forward on other products. I can't say anything more on this subject because there really isn't anything to say, but this is a concern that we grapple with daily. If you need 500 repair parts, it may be smart to order them sooner rather than later. That comment is not based on inside information, just common sense.

With all good wishes,
Well Nick,

Shopsmith Sawsmith 2000 owners already know what it feels like to be left out in the cold. :(
I was told by Customer Service just this week that they didn't have, and would not make, a replacement upper saw guard that I ordered last week even though it was still listed today on the web site complete with a new, higher, "sale price". Customer Service went on to tell me that they don't have 98% of the components that make up the Sawsmith 2000 (sold thru the early 1990's). So I'm on my own to figure out what SS510 (or other) parts I can adapt to keep it usable. (Any Sawsmith 2000 owners have a photo of the top of the riving knife showing the storage slot for the anti-kickback pawls?):o

So guys, if there was any doubt, when Nick tells you that SS500 support might end someday in the future - you can believe him.

Shopsmith still gives the best customer support in the world; but its not a perfect world is it?

Regards to all,

Dennis
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dennis,

Your Sawsmith is at least twenty one years old - last one manufactured in Nov 1987 and it was only manufactured for three years It was clearly not the flagship.

I understand you are disappointed but I think that's all anyone has a right to be. Where else can you get complete factory support on a product that is this old.

The 500 is a "slightly" different story in that many of the parts for the 500 are used in the 505/510/520 and therefore are likely to be available for a bit longer.

For those parts that are unique to the 500, I would be thinking hard about sort of an inventory I wanted to lay in. The 510 was introduced in 1985 and the life clock began ticking then, twenty three years ago.

Having said all of this, I have an inventory of parts for my 510 turned 520 that I have stocked up just in case. I do maintenance religously so that I don't have to use any of those parts. They'll be available when my grandson needs to do a major overhaul.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
perryobear
Gold Member

Post by perryobear »

dusty wrote:dennis,

Your Sawsmith is at least twenty one years old - last one manufactured in Nov 1987 and it was only manufactured for three years It was clearly not the flagship.

I understand you are disappointed but I think that's all anyone has a right to be. Where else can you get complete factory support on a product that is this old.

The 500 is a "slightly" different story in that many of the parts for the 500 are used in the 505/510/520 and therefore are likely to be available for a bit longer.

For those parts that are unique to the 500, I would be thinking hard about sort of an inventory I wanted to lay in. The 510 was introduced in 1985 and the life clock began ticking then, twenty three years ago.

Having said all of this, I have an inventory of parts for my 510 turned 520 that I have stocked up just in case. I do maintenance religously so that I don't have to use any of those parts. They'll be available when my grandson needs to do a major overhaul.
Hi Dusty,

Just a couple of thoughts before moving on:

The Sawsmith 2000 was manufactured a bit longer than you think. Mine was built by Shopsmith on July 26, 1991. It was built in the days of Shopsmith retail stores and before the advent of "just-in-time" inventory. Shopsmith was selling this saw to customers "new" well into the 1990's. Mine was bought by my father-in-law from Shopsmith in Feb 1993 (I have a copy of the receipt).

It certainly didn't develop into the "flagship" of the line, but neither was it supposed to be the dinghy; buyers were paying $1,000 for the Sawsmith 2000 back then (more for the upgraded models)!

I don't expect to get "complete factory support" on my Sawsmith 2000 down to every nut, bolt, or housing bracket, like we presently do on our Mk 5's, but I do think that everyday use "consumable" items such as arbors, upper/lower guards, various table inserts and the like should be supported.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now. ;)

Dennis