Beginner - Hobby

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Capertrj
Gold Member

Beginner - Hobby

Post by Capertrj »

Good afternoon. I have been slowly getting into wood working as I accumulate tools. I enjoy it and want to progress from doing small projects and refinishing furniture to more in depth projects. I have a full set of cordless tools, circ saw, two fixed routers, 40 router bits, nail gun, router table, dozen clamps, miter saw, and a few other items. It seems the main thing I'm missing is a table saw, drill press, and a jointer.

My "workshop" is a 16x10 ft shed. There is shelves on one end and a work table on one so the usable space is probably 12x10 or so. I have four 110v outlets.

This popped up in my area recently and wanted to get everyone's opinion on my situation. It's a 510 mark V built on 01-14-1994 with jointer attachment.

I've heard the table saw is weak point on these. How weak is it? As a beginner would this suffice my needs? It seems you can't beat the 2x6 foot print with everything you get out of it.

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/tls/5306478075.html

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/search/ss ... =shopsmith

$350 with jointer seems like a decent deal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Re: Beginner - Hobby

Post by masonsailor2 »

Seems like a fair price. Before you buy it turn it on and make sure it will go through the range of speed. The rust on the jointer is no big deal and easily fixed. As far as the table saw being its weakest link that is to be taken with a grain of salt. Yes if you have gobs of room a nice large table saw is great asset. But if room and portability are a factor then nothing beats a SS. Yes it takes a little more setup time but it will get the job done and do it well.
Paul
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

ONLY TURN THE SPEED CHANGER DIAL WHEN THE MACHINE IS RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Capertrj wrote:Good afternoon. I have been slowly getting into wood working as I accumulate tools. I enjoy it and want to progress from doing small projects and refinishing furniture to more in depth projects. I have a full set of cordless tools, circ saw, two fixed routers, 40 router bits, nail gun, router table, dozen clamps, miter saw, and a few other items. It seems the main thing I'm missing is a table saw, drill press, and a jointer.

My "workshop" is a 16x10 ft shed. There is shelves on one end and a work table on one so the usable space is probably 12x10 or so. I have four 110v outlets.

This popped up in my area recently and wanted to get everyone's opinion on my situation. It's a 510 mark V built on 01-14-1994 with jointer attachment.

I've heard the table saw is weak point on these. How weak is it? As a beginner would this suffice my needs? It seems you can't beat the 2x6 foot print with everything you get out of it.

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/tls/5306478075.html

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/search/ss ... =shopsmith

$350 with jointer seems like a decent deal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum. I hope you are seeking a place where you will hear many, many opinions. I am going to give you one right now.

I do not believe that the table saw pictured in your first link is a point of weakness. It may be (and I repeat may be (still another opinion)) on some of the older machines that had small tables. Your machine does not have the small tables.

Now, if you are thinking about being a professional cabinet maker, we'll have to recant on that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Capertrj
Gold Member

Post by Capertrj »

Looks like he has had multiple replies about the shop smith. If everything checks out is 350$ a good deal?
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

Capertrj wrote:Looks like he has had multiple replies about the shop smith. If everything checks out is 350$ a good deal?
Many here are reluctant to say one way or another is a machine is a good deal or not. So many variables. IMHO the 350 is OK, you need to make sure that all of the small parts (drill chuck, sanding disk, lathe paraphernalia, etc) are there, or you could spend quite a bit replacing those. The greenie for 50 bucks with extra headstock, is probably worth getting as well. :D.

Download http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/downl ... p?id=28612 print and take it with you for reference.

Remember, a shopsmith is worth what you are willing to spend and what your needs are.

JMHO
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Capertrj wrote:Looks like he has had multiple replies about the shop smith. If everything checks out is 350$ a good deal?
IF it is COMPLETE and in good working order, it is a good deal for the Norfolk area. I'm in Maryland and regularly keep track of prices on Shopsmith stuff in DC, MD and VA and that's a good price.

BUT there's lots of things that are standard with a Shopsmith that are not showing up in the photos. Non-exhaustive list off the top of my head:

- lower saw guard
- upper saw guard
- miter guage
- floating tables (2) and telescopic legs (2)
- drill chuck
- tail stock
- lathe drive center
- lathe dead center
- lathe tools (chisels)
- 12" sanding disk

Ask the seller and if you go to look at it, keep an eye peeled for pieces that may be laying about or are in the ubiquitous "box" of Shopsmith stuff.

Al
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

I would get the greenie, bet one of the belts is broken since it is a Gilmer drive, can set it up as a dedicate DP or for the jointer and disc sander, maybe make it a shorty.
350 is a fair price and yes has the larger table so as a TS is more then adiquit unless working with very large sheet goods constantly.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

dusty wrote: I do not believe that the table saw pictured in your first link is a point of weakness. It may be (and I repeat may be (still another opinion)) on some of the older machines that had small tables. Your machine does not have the small tables.

Now, if you are thinking about being a professional cabinet maker, we'll have to recant on that.
Agree with this^. But you will need to get used to working somewhat differently than any other table saw you have used. Mainly you need to get used to raising and lower the table (versus the blade) and tilting the table for bevel cuts (versus tilting the blade).

I bought my Shopsmith to be a drill press and a lathe. I never thought I would use it as a table saw because I had a contractor saw with a cast iron table and an excellent aftermarket fence. The Shopsmith turned out to be just as capable, if not more so, and because space in my shop didn't easily accommodate both the Shopsmith and the contractor saw, the contractor saw went by-by. I have no regrets.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Capertrj
Gold Member

Post by Capertrj »

Just called. I asked if it included the above items. Here is the reply:

"No this is a stock mark v it has the rip fence, over sized table, saw blade arbor, and jointer. There is no floating table legs, lathe parts, drill chuck or sanding disk."