Adjustable stop collar

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rbenstead
Gold Member

Adjustable stop collar

Post by rbenstead »

Has anyone experienced any marring on the trunnion tubed from the set screw on the adjustable stop collar? There has always been so much attention on keeping the tubes clean,waxed that it is hard to believe that the set screw would not mess the tube up.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Re: Adjustable stop collar

Post by Bruce »

I've never heard of it being a problem. You should be careful not to tighten it to much and also, never tighten the screw onto the gears.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would make sure it is NOT a cup or point setscrew.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

They warn you in the instructions not to use them to actually raise the table. You are supposed to raise the table by hand, turn the collar to make the adjustment and then lower the table and collar back down. Other than that is it possible to over tighten them ? Not sure. I have not experienced any marring on mine so far.
Paul
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

If it is a concern, use a brass set screw(ala model 10).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:I would make sure it is NOT a cup or point setscrew.
They come with a dog nose set screw so the end is flat. I have one installed on the main table and one each on my two fixed extension tables. There is no sign of any deformation on the main table tubes and one of the extension tables. Interestingly the other extension table tube has definite dimples from the set screw. There is no raised metal just a concave depression so I never had a problem. I didn't even realize they were there until I looked.

I would think the main table tubes are a fairly hard metal due to the rack teeth. FWIW I have had the one on the main table since the collar first came out.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

masonsailor2 wrote:They warn you in the instructions not to use them to actually raise the table. You are supposed to raise the table by hand, turn the collar to make the adjustment and then lower the table and collar back down. Other than that is it possible to over tighten them ? Not sure. I have not experienced any marring on mine so far.
Paul
I never understood that warning. I always use them to raise and lower the tables. I bought my first one when they first were introduced so I have been doing that for years. One thing I have done is cut washers from 1/16" Teflon sheet to put between the collar and the carriage and the end castings for the extension tables. It keeps the paint from wearing off and makes the adjustment smooth.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

jsburger wrote:
masonsailor2 wrote:They warn you in the instructions not to use them to actually raise the table. You are supposed to raise the table by hand, turn the collar to make the adjustment and then lower the table and collar back down. Other than that is it possible to over tighten them ? Not sure. I have not experienced any marring on mine so far.
Paul
I never understood that warning. I always use them to raise and lower the tables. I bought my first one when they first were introduced so I have been doing that for years. One thing I have done is cut washers from 1/16" Teflon sheet to put between the collar and the carriage and the end castings for the extension tables. It keeps the paint from wearing off and makes the adjustment smooth.
I imagine they're worried about the set screw moving if you use the collar to raise the table. That would mess up your setting. They are really handy for tweaking a dado/rabbet depth, but they mustn't move on you if you want any accuracy.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Bruce wrote:
jsburger wrote:
Paul
I imagine they're worried about the set screw moving if you use the collar to raise the table. That would mess up your setting. They are really handy for tweaking a dado/rabbet depth, but they mustn't move on you if you want any accuracy.
OK but they shouldn't move if the set screw is tight. We have set screws all over the SS to keep things from moving. There is no reason that the stop should move on the tube by using it to raise or lower the table an incremental amount.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

With out a 'bite', the only thing allowing the set screw to hold is friction.

Granted putting the squeeze on increases that friction, but there ain't any thing else at 'work'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝