Level Machine setup?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hfmann
Gold Member

Level Machine setup?

Post by hfmann »

Just started reviewing the alignment procedures from the online manual. It now says it is important to set the machine on a level floor. How important is this? There is no way my garage floor is level. And it certainly varies throughout the various locations I roll it out to for operation.

Seems to me that as long as everything is aligned to the spindle rotation and plane, it shouldn't matter about level.

If it is important, how do you all deal with it when you have to "put away" your machine every night.

thanks,
Hal
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

In the past, I have never been to anal about having the SS perfectly level, but in reading some of the posts on table alignment, etc. it seems that if you want really accurate cuts the SS should be level. Therefore, I shimmed mine so that the way tubes are level left-to-right and front-to-back. Then I aligned it. If you have to move yours back and forth from your storage area, just find the spot where it is useable and most level and do your alignment. Then outline the feet with paint or something that won't wash or wear away. Now you can return the SS to the same spot each time you use it. That's just my two cents worth, maybe not even that. Maybe Nick or some of the power users on this forum will have other suggestions.
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

batg4 wrote:In the past, I have never been to anal about having the SS perfectly level, but in reading some of the posts on table alignment, etc. it seems that if you want really accurate cuts the SS should be level. Therefore, I shimmed mine so that the way tubes are level left-to-right and front-to-back. Then I aligned it. If you have to move yours back and forth from your storage area, just find the spot where it is useable and most level and do your alignment. Then outline the feet with paint or something that won't wash or wear away. Now you can return the SS to the same spot each time you use it. That's just my two cents worth, maybe not even that. Maybe Nick or some of the power users on this forum will have other suggestions.
Thanks BATG4, Like your idea of painting an outline on the floor to enable getting back into the same spot where I perform the alignment.

What did you use to shim your machine?

I still don't understand how machine "levelness" impacts the accuracy of cuts. I too am looking forward to some discussion on this topic.

Thanks again,
Hal
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

I like Bat-Guy's suggestion, Hal. Makes sense. But you've also got a point: "Seems to me that as long as everything is aligned to the spindle rotation and plane, it shouldn't matter about level." That's true, too.

You level the Shopsmith for the same reason machinist's level their metal lathes -- the ways must run perfectly parallel for the cutting tools to remain properly aligned all along the length of the work. It really doesn't matter that the lathe is level; leveling is simply an expedient way to insure the ways are parallel.

By the same token, if the Shopsmith's way tubes aren't parallel the twist may throw the table out of alignment. The easiest way to make sure these tubes are parallel is to level them side to side and front to back as Bat-Guy did.

With all good wishes,
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

[quote="Nick"]I like Bat-Guy's suggestion, Hal. Makes sense. But you've also got a point: "Seems to me that as long as everything is aligned to the spindle rotation and plane, it shouldn't matter about level." That's true, too.

You level the Shopsmith for the same reason machinist's level their metal lathes -- the ways must run perfectly parallel for the cutting tools to remain properly aligned all along the length of the work. It really doesn't matter that the lathe is level]

Thanks Nick,

I know not about machinists, but...Ok, so are you guys talking about shimming the legs in order to get the tubes level? Or are you saying we need to shim the tubes individually?

(BTW, I found a router project book in my bookcase authored by my first Shopsmith academy instructor (1988 ish?), and guess who the co author was - yes, the now world famous Nick Engler!)

Take care,
Hal
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

I just used some thin hardwood shims on mine. I'm sure there's a better way, but it's level for now. :)
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I never really thought about it but my habit has been to always put my Shopsmith in the same position each time I get it out. While the exact spot is not marked I'm within inches of where is was when I aligned it and where I always use it.
I roll it away every night and I have never had a big problem with changing alignments.

One thing I worry about is is pushing on the main table when I wheel the machine back into it's storage area. Though I have never noticed an alignment problem I often catch myself swinging the machine around using the main table. When I do I usually shift my hands to a way tube the headstock.

Ed
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

Ed,
I roll it away every night and I have never had a big problem with changing alignments.
That's very encouraging Ed. I was beginning to think this was getting way too tedious. Knowing that it works fine for you eases my concern.
One thing I worry about is is pushing on the main table when I wheel the machine back into it's storage area. Though I have never noticed an alignment problem I often catch myself swinging the machine around using the main table.
Wow! Great point. I never thought about that. I've always pushed on the table to move the machine around. I guess I need to put some sort of electric shock device on there to break that habit. :eek:

Thanks again,
Hal
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

batg4 wrote:I just used some thin hardwood shims on mine. I'm sure there's a better way, but it's level for now. :)
BATG4 - so I understand. You retract the casters so the metal legs are on the floor. Then shim the legs until the way tubes are level. Right?

I'm hoping to understand this entire alignment process by the weekend. I want to start building something! :D

Thanks,
Hal
dusty
Platinum Member

Level Machine Setup

Post by dusty »

If you complete the alignment procedures as outlined in the operators manual - you are ready to go. Make sawdust and be merry.

If you must move your machine around, "check" for proper alignment (which you will probably still have) and then make still more saw dust.

If you have difficulty performing a successful alignment, verify the way tubes are level (side-to-side and tube-to-tube) and then complete the alignment procedure. If you still have difficulty completing the alignment 1) you are doing something wrong or 2) you have a problem that requires some serious troubleshooting.

You are using a machine that will not let you down. The Shopsmith is "good"; that is all that needs be said. It was designed for what we are doing with it and it was designed well.

If you are building something that must be "right on" each and every cut then treat your machine accordingly. Align it "right on" and don't move it.