greetings from oregon

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mikemarkvii
Silver Member

greetings from oregon

Post by mikemarkvii »

hi all,
I just registered sso I thought I should introduce myself. I am Mike, in the mid Willamette valley, and have Mark VII's with bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and jigsaw. I've been a lurker for a long while and have learned a lot, this is by far the most active and educational ss group that I know about. I finally broke down and reggistered in order to see the photos of dusty's micro adjust. Very good idea.

mike
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

Welcome to the site. I too find it informative, and reassuring. Reassuring because its good to see that other people are perfectionists in their work, yet can accept a radical design change when needed. I love Oregon, hope to make it up that way again this year, I'm almost out of Myrtlewood. Really like working with it, as it has a deep random grain, polishes well, and works well in intrasia. I have one piece hidden that I want to turn, right after I take a refresher on wood turning this summer. Again welcome...Gary, Northridge, CA
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

mikemarkvii wrote:hi all,
I just registered sso I thought I should introduce myself. I am Mike, in the mid Willamette valley, and have Mark VII's with bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and jigsaw. I've been a lurker for a long while and have learned a lot, this is by far the most active and educational ss group that I know about. I finally broke down and reggistered in order to see the photos of dusty's micro adjust. Very good idea.

mike
ImageMike!
Not many Mark VII's around I guess. I am looking forward to your input. Doesn't the Mark VII have the ability to pivot up on both ends?
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

kalynzoo wrote:Welcome to the site. I too find it informative, and reassuring. Reassuring because its good to see that other people are perfectionists in their work, yet can accept a radical design change when needed. I love Oregon, hope to make it up that way again this year, I'm almost out of Myrtle-wood. Really like working with it, as it has a deep random grain, polishes well, and works well in intrasia. I have one piece hidden that I want to turn, right after I take a refresher on wood turning this summer. Again welcome...Gary, Northridge, CA

If you ever see a class by Bob Tuck take it, he turned Myrtlewood commercially on the Oregon Coast for over 40 years. He retired at least 15 years ago and now teaches turning around Oregon. He always demonstrates Myrtlewood and lets people try turning his samples.

Last course my son and I took from him my son made a pepper mills out of Myrtlewood that he provided. The classes were $30-$50 for the afternoon and we spend 90% of the time turning with his guidance. The first two courses were taught on eight Shopsmith lathes, more recently the place he teaches switched to mini-Jet and small Delta lathes.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

mikemarkvii wrote:hi all,

mike

Greeting, hope to see you at the Portland Shopsmith class the last week of the month.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
mikemarkvii
Silver Member

Post by mikemarkvii »

a1gutterman wrote:ImageMike!
Not many Mark VII's around I guess. I am looking forward to your input. Doesn't the Mark VII have the ability to pivot up on both ends?
Yes, the mark VII pivots both ends. I personally have never used the shaper mode [upside down from drill press] but it is a joy to pivot into drill press. Once I forgot about the jointer being attached [well ok I knew but wanted to try anyhow] and was surprised how easy it was. Downside is that the end is much closer to the floor and so does not have as much height capacity as other models. That has never been a problem however as most wood being drilled is less than 6 inches tall.

mike
mikemarkvii
Silver Member

Post by mikemarkvii »

paulmcohen wrote:Greeting, hope to see you at the Portland Shopsmith class the last week of the month.
I didnot know about the class. Where can I find more info?

mike
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

mikemarkvii wrote:I didnot know about the class. Where can I find more info?

mike
Here is one place that you can check: http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=1609
Tim

boomer503
Bronze Member

Post by boomer503 »

Hi Mike,

I have had a Mark V 520 for about 9 months now and gotta say it's great. I too just desided to register today.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

boomer503 wrote:Hi Mike,

I have had a Mark V 520 for about 9 months now and gotta say it's great. I too just desided to register today.
Imageboomer503,
Glad you joined us. Where do you hail from?

edit: I see you are from Beaverton, OR, John ( from another thread). Thanks for letting us know!
Tim