Things to look for in a SS jointer

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tcbetka
Gold Member

Things to look for in a SS jointer

Post by tcbetka »

Hi all,

I'm going to look at a SS jointer tonight. A local fellow has one on CL, so I'm going to go look at it in several hours. The price is negotiable to some degree, but I'm not sure what to look for/at in that SPT. I'm reviewing the forum archives here on threads that might detail how to inspect or repair/refurbish the thing--but I thought I should start a thread to ask for advice in the meantime, while I keep searching. I don't have a ton of time to play with, so I'd certainly appreciate any advice someone can offer.

Thanks in advance.

TB
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Things to look for in a SS jointer

Post by dusty »

You might want to take the time to read this:
Attachments
Buying a used Shopsmith v2.pdf
(1.96 MiB) Downloaded 2101 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
tcbetka
Gold Member

Post by tcbetka »

dusty wrote:You might want to take the time to read this:
Thanks...I had that actually, but it doesn't say anything about the SPTs like the jointer, as far as I can tell. But I haven't read that guide in a while, as it's been a few years since I bought a SS unit--so it's good to be reminded of that stuff, as I'll be putting one or both of my units into service in the next few weeks.

TB
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

I see them around me for 125 ish on CL for a very clean one, Ebay seems a bit cheaper but the shipping charge is a bit high do to weight. I redid one and real easy, 2 bearings and 3 blades.
Check to see if tables are flat with a straight edge or level.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
tcbetka
Gold Member

Post by tcbetka »

ERLover wrote:I see them around me for 125 ish on CL for a very clean one, Ebay seems a bit cheaper but the shipping charge is a bit high do to weight. I redid one and real easy, 2 bearings and 3 blades.
Great, that's what I was thinking as well. The fellow says there is some surface rust on it, which shouldn't be a big deal. So if it's in any kind of shape, then it's probably worth getting if I can stay under that number. I wasn't really looking for one, but since I'll be needing it anyway and seeing as how it is available now, I figure the least I can do is to go look at it. One needs to make hay when the sun shines, I suppose.

Are the bearings standard? I know the knives are available from SS ($50 for a set), but they don't list anything about the bearings in the Jointer Maintenance section of the main site. I would presume them to be standard bearings though, but I've never read whether or not they are...

TB
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

tcbetka wrote:
ERLover wrote:I see them around me for 125 ish on CL for a very clean one, Ebay seems a bit cheaper but the shipping charge is a bit high do to weight. I redid one and real easy, 2 bearings and 3 blades.
Great, that's what I was thinking as well. The fellow says there is some surface rust on it, which shouldn't be a big deal. So if it's in any kind of shape, then it's probably worth getting if I can stay under that number. I wasn't really looking for one, but since I'll be needing it anyway and seeing as how it is available now, I figure the least I can do is to go look at it. One needs to make hay when the sun shines, I suppose.

Are the bearings standard? I know the knives are available from SS ($50 for a set), but they don't list anything about the bearings in the Jointer Maintenance section of the main site. I would presume them to be standard bearings though, but I've never read whether or not they are...

TB
SS part number 502898 needs 2 (of course :D) and they are 9.48 apiece from the mothership ...

Not much to these. make sure you check square and flat of the tables
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
tcbetka
Gold Member

Post by tcbetka »

rjent wrote: SS part number 502898 needs 2 (of course :D) and they are 9.48 apiece from the mothership ...

Not much to these. make sure you check square and flat of the tables

Awesome, thanks! And you reminded me of something I had thought of yesterday, but forgot--to take a machinist's square to check the fence/table. That one is worth the price of admission alone...

TB
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Unless the blades have been sharpened a few times b4, should be able to sharpen them for less then 50, I think my guy charges .75 or 1.00 an inch.
Be care full with the fence, there is a pin for locking at 90* that is hard to see, and if inserted will not let you change fence angle just by loosing it, you must pull the pin back, or it is a little lever thing a ma jig that pivots out of the way.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Don't own one but apparently the fence quadrant is a part that should be checked because it is easily damaged. See item "F" here: http://shopsmith.com/service/mostfreque ... dparts.htm
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

tcbetka
Gold Member

Post by tcbetka »

algale wrote:Don't own one but apparently the fence quadrant is a part that should be checked because it is easily damaged. See item "F" here: http://shopsmith.com/service/mostfreque ... dparts.htm
Great tip, thanks. I'll be sure to check that out--seems simple enough, according to the description there.

TB