Incra 5000 Sled

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

twistsol
Gold Member

Re: Incra 5000 Sled

Post by twistsol »

pdavis1814 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:15 pm Algale, I don’t even know if you’re still active on this forum, but I hope you’re still actively making sawdust. Just wanted to let you know that this post and these photos, even years later, really helped me out today. I bought a new Incra 5000 for my Mark VII, but they don’t sell the SS variety anymore so I’m having to improvise. Wish me luck!
The only difference is the miter bar between the regular and ShopSmith versions. If you can't find one, I have a spare. I think you can still get it as a part from Incremental Tools but may need to call them.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Question for one of the users for clarification of how the fence attaches to the sled: One end of the fence is anchored to something I want to call a miter gauge, though it is not typical. Is the other end of the fence locked in some way to something that slides and locks in that T-Track? If yes, what is that and how does it work? Does the Incra Clamp (similar or same as an Incra Build-It Clamp?) shown in algale's pictures have anything to do with the system or is that just a handy storage place? Thanks.

- David
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

DLB wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:09 pm Question for one of the users for clarification of how the fence attaches to the sled: One end of the fence is anchored to something I want to call a miter gauge, though it is not typical. Is the other end of the fence locked in some way to something that slides and locks in that T-Track? If yes, what is that and how does it work? Does the Incra Clamp (similar or same as an Incra Build-It Clamp?) shown in algale's pictures have anything to do with the system or is that just a handy storage place? Thanks.

- David
Yep. Fence attaches to the miter gauge. Other end attaches via a bracket that attaches to both runs a track on the back of the fence and a track in the base of the sled. To pivot the fence you must unlock the miter gauge and loosen two allenhead screws that allow the bracket to slide and pivot with the fence. Once your angle is dialed in with the miter gauge (very accurate; has 1/2 o4 1/4 degree adjustments, don't recall which) you lock the miter gauge and then tighten the screws from the bracket to the fence and bracket to the base. You can see the bracket in front of the Build it Clamp in my photo.

The Build it Clamp is stored behind the fence in my pic. But in operation, you put it in front of the fence to hold the stock down.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!