Fence Creep

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Len
Gold Member

Fence Creep

Post by Len »

My saw fence moves just slightly to the right whenever I lever her down. I can't find the documentation that address that. Any simple fixes?
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

You betcha. Understand that the base of the fence presses again the rail and aligns the fence to the miter gauge slots when you throw the locking lever. If the base moves away from the rail when you move the fence, the fence will realign itself when the lock is engaged. To prevent this unwanted motion, keep pressure on the fence base by pushing it forward against the rail as you slide the fence right and left. Then, when you throw the locking levers, the base will already be against the rail, the fence will be properly aligned, and it won't move as the locks engage. One more thing -- make sure you throw the bottom lever first, then the top lever.

With all good wishes,
Len
Gold Member

Fence Creep

Post by Len »

Nick wrote:You betcha. Understand that the base of the fence presses again the rail and aligns the fence to the miter gauge slots when you throw the locking lever. If the base moves away from the rail when you move the fence, the fence will realign itself when the lock is engaged. To prevent this unwanted motion, keep pressure on the fence base by pushing it forward against the rail as you slide the fence right and left. Then, when you throw the locking levers, the base will already be against the rail, the fence will be properly aligned, and it won't move as the locks engage. One more thing -- make sure you throw the bottom lever first, then the top lever.
With all good wishes,
Sorry Nick, I did not come across clearly. My rip fence creeps to the right along the table tube (514667) after the lever fence base (514254) is pulled down to lock. It doesn't move away from anything other than a straight line. I can hold it, with more force than I should, then lower the lever and quickly turn the knob, and she'll stay. But sump'n t'aint right, and being a newbie, I just want to make sure all is well. I did put some 3 in 1 oil down on that spring a couple of days ago. If I see a spring I just oil it. I've started the alignment procedure, but I am still a bit too excited making stuff. She Who Must Be Obeyed is getting a maple quilt holder for the wall, and the SS is great in getting that together!
Oh, and thanks for the quick response.
twig/al
Gold Member

Post by twig/al »

len, I was thinking about your problem. Do you have the 510 with the round tubes? If so, I was wondering if the tube was slipping and not the rip fence, itself.. Just a thought..
Having too much fun in Alabama!!!
510 owner/user since 1996.
Len
Gold Member

Fence Creep

Post by Len »

Al, actually it is the 505 Anniversary, but no the tubes hold their place with the studs and nuts. Without me holding the fence it is the front of the fence that moves about 1/8". If I hold the front of the fence too lightly, then the back moves, but that is only about 1/16". I noticed oil on the top knuckle of the lever (fence base) ever time I undo it, but that is only because I oiled her a couple of days ago. Maybe I shouldn't have done that? Lot to learn in all this excitment!
dusty
Platinum Member

Fence Creep

Post by dusty »

Len

Do yourself a favor and put a cap on that oil can. It sounds like you have already used a life times supply of oil on the Shopsmith.

Next - get and read the maintenance instructions. The most important ones are here online if you don't already have a hard copy.

I am willing to bet you have NO problem with your fence once you clean off the oil.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

len wrote:Sorry Nick, I did not come across clearly. My rip fence creeps to the right along the table tube (514667) after the lever fence base (514254) is pulled down to lock. It doesn't move away from anything other than a straight line. I can hold it, with more force than I should, then lower the lever and quickly turn the knob, and she'll stay. But sump'n t'aint right, and being a newbie, I just want to make sure all is well. I did put some 3 in 1 oil down on that spring a couple of days ago. If I see a spring I just oil it. I've started the alignment procedure, but I am still a bit too excited making stuff. She Who Must Be Obeyed is getting a maple quilt holder for the wall, and the SS is great in getting that together!
Oh, and thanks for the quick response.
I think you said what is the problem. "I can hold it, with more force than I should, then lower the lever and quickly turn the knob, and she'll stay."

With that fence you always turn the knob which will align the fence to a perfect registration and then lock the lever. Never lock the lever and then turn the knob.

If the fence is properly adjusted when you turn the knob the fence will be pulled perfectly parallel to the blade (assuming you adjusted it parallel) and then you lock the back side with the lever. If you lock the back side and then tighten the knob your forcing the fence to overcome the back lock.
Ed
Len
Gold Member

Post by Len »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I think you said what is the problem. "I can hold it, with more force than I should, then lower the lever and quickly turn the knob, and she'll stay."

With that fence you always turn the knob which will align the fence to a perfect registration and then lock the lever. Never lock the lever and then turn the knob.

If the fence is properly adjusted when you turn the knob the fence will be pulled perfectly parallel to the blade (assuming you adjusted it parallel) and then you lock the back side with the lever. If you lock the back side and then tighten the knob your forcing the fence to overcome the back lock.
Ed
Thanks, and I will go back and read the fine manual (there is a LOT of stuff to catch up on) and put my excitement on hold. You hit the nail on the head. As I've only owned my 505 for a month, I first threw the lever all the time and hardly ever tightened the knob. So now, is it totally beyond repair? Can any adjustments can be made at this point? OK, OK, I will read that part of the manual again. All I really want to do is make sawdust and talk to you fine fellows about this amazing machine!
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Len wrote:Thanks, and I will go back and read the fine manual (there is a LOT of stuff to catch up on) and put my excitement on hold. You hit the nail on the head. As I've only owned my 505 for a month, I first threw the lever all the time and hardly ever tightened the knob. So now, is it totally beyond repair? Can any adjustments can be made at this point? OK, OK, I will read that part of the manual again. All I really want to do is make sawdust and talk to you fine fellows about this amazing machine!
Len
I think everything will be fine. You may have to realign the fence but nothing should be damaged.
Yes you must read the instructions. If learned nothing else owing a Shopsmith I learned you must read the instructions.

I also know how you feel when I brought my Shopsmith home all I wanted to do was use it. But I kept myself in check and read all the manuals, even the book fine woodworking for everyone before I ventured in.
Even after doing all of that I still find things I missed or didn't do exactly right.

Good luck with your Shopsmith and think through each cut to make sure your safe.
Ed