ao smith motor repair

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

disc42
Gold Member

ao smith motor repair

Post by disc42 »

I am new to this forum.I have recently acquired a Shopsmith brownie with the AO Smith 1 1/8 hp motor.At startup motor hums so I, m thinking capacitor.I have ordered a new one but would still like to take motor apart to inspect the winding.Does anyone know the disassembly procedure.Your help will be greatly appreciated.Disc42
billmayo
Platinum Member

Re: ao smith motor repair

Post by billmayo »

disc42 wrote:I am new to this forum.I have recently acquired a Shopsmith brownie with the AO Smith 1 1/8 hp motor.At startup motor hums so I, m thinking capacitor.I have ordered a new one but would still like to take motor apart to inspect the winding.Does anyone know the disassembly procedure.Your help will be greatly appreciated.Disc42
There are excellent posts on the Forum, search for AO Smith 1 & 1/8 HP Motor Guide - Forward / Reverse, Bearings, Wiring, etc. dated 04-29-2013 by JOSHH. I am sure this should answer most of your questions.
disc42
Gold Member

Post by disc42 »

Thanks I,ll check it out.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Start capacitor unlikely culprit.

Start Switch far more likely!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
disc42
Gold Member

Post by disc42 »

Can you buy new ones.If so where.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

disc42 wrote:Can you buy new ones.If so where.

One 'fixes' the one one has. Likely a small piece of crud(non-conductive) between the points.

Alternative purchase, motor!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

I would try blowing it out first, I had that problem from transporting it home, blew it out and away it went.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

JPG wrote:
disc42 wrote:Can you buy new ones.If so where.

One 'fixes' the one one has. Likely a small piece of crud(non-conductive) between the points.

Alternative purchase, motor!
I use a finger nail file (emory board) to clean and polish the start winding points. A multimeter (ohm scale) can be used to check if the points are making contact when the motor is not operating. I remove and then reconnect the points wiring connectors as this can be a problem area.
disc42
Gold Member

Post by disc42 »

This must be the original motor because all the connections are soldered on.I checked switch with a meter and it shows open.I,ll have to remove it anyway because the insulation is coming off the wires that go to the winding and capacitor.
greasemonkey2275
Gold Member

Post by greasemonkey2275 »

When I rebuilt my Greenie I was having a similar problem with my 3/4hp motor. I sanded the contacts with an ignition points file and also found that the two arms were not making initial contact when power was first applied so you might want to check there as well. I posted the video on youtube if you want to take a look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4k50w666KU
Jake

Spokane, WA
Shopsmith Mark V S/N: 354008 Born: 1958/Restored: 2015
Magna Bandsaw S/N: 31575 Born: 1956/Restored 2016
Magna Jointer S/N: 67527 Born: 1958/Restored: 2015