Weekly Blog - May 12th

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Weekly Blog - May 12th

Post by john »

With the beautiful weather we have been having it has been hard to get into the shop, too much outdoor stuff to do. I think I spent my entire SS budget on garden plants this past week. And there is more to get.

However, I did manage to finish the two projects I have been working on, refurbishing the base of a bird bath, and the wine rack, (pictures attached).

The fancy piece that holds the dish on the bird bath has a date of 1908 stamped into it. I'm not sure if this is the date of manufacture, or of the design, but either way, I think this means it is old. As I mentioned last week, my father-in-law had taken these pieces from an old stove and mounted them on a wood pedestal and base, to make a bird bath many years ago. Several years ago I replaced both the pedestal and base with ones of cedar, but the base rotted out last year so I made another this year, painted it like new, placed it near a feeder, and the birds can now eat, drink, and be merry.

The picture of the new wine rack is not very good so I included an old one as well. Maybe the wine makes a difference. They are both the same except for the walnut plugs in the new one.

There have been some fine furniture pictures in this week's posts. Once again, it shows what skills are out there.

My appologies to Alan, in last week's blog I mixed him up with Andy, or vice versa.

As to what's next on the agenda, besides more gardening, I haven't got a clue.

Have a Fun and Safe week!

John
Attachments
DSC00801.JPG
DSC00801.JPG (148.12 KiB) Viewed 8394 times
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

Nice looking bird bath.. They ought to be happy with such a fancy bath!

We've been way too busy getting our yard cleaned up (and doing other assorted tasks around the house) so the local environmental inspector can give us a clean bill of health (no construction debris allowed) before our final inspection & permits get closed out..

For me, I finally got some time to do a little work on my new-to-me SS I acquired a few months ago -- but I'll post that in the other thread I started way back when..

I hope you all had a great & productive weekend (and week)!
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
1983 Mark V model 510 (SN#140061)
brown_hawk
Gold Member

Post by brown_hawk »

Same story here. Got a lot of yard work done, and other work around the house.

Did get the SS tuneup done, so that is ready to go. Nick and Drew's videos really helped with that.

The Bird Bath and wine racks look great John. Good job.

Hawk
Dayton OH and loving it! :D (Except they closed the store.:( )
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Busy Week! Finally got everything checked over, sanitized, changed and pressurized on the motorhome. A little cleaning and loading tomorrow and we are off for a few days.

The past week also had some shop time, making dowels and the mounting board for the Roman Shade my wife has made. The shade and the tables will be going to our daughter. Ever make your own 6 foot long dowels? Me either! I've made a couple short ones when needed, but never ones that are 6 feet long. Making them round proved to be the biggest chore. After sawing strips 3/16" wide by 6 ft. long, I sanded off the sharp edges on the belt sander. Then to the lathe. It is interesting how the vibrations of a thin stick vary with RPMs and the point of sanding. Had to use two hands to stop the wave like vibrations. Started with 9 strips - ended with seven finished. The other two broke off when the sandpaper caught and wrapped up on the spinning pieces.

Your bird bath base looks like it could have been the original. It's always a good thing when you can restore and old family treasure!

Last week I was teased, in a nice way, about monthly lubrications of the Mark V. After keeping fairly close score on the SS running hours the past week - this sawing and sanding used up the better part of 5 hours. Looks like I have reached the 10 hour level this month without even trying.

John - Both of your wine racks are beautiful! I really like your last wine rack, maybe even better than the first one. The walnut plugs give it a unique handsome look. Folks like objects that look as if they were put together with dowels. I'm reminded of a story by Jim Tolpin. He told of people saying they liked the dowels he used to put together his projects - saying that dowels are a sign of good construction. He got tired of pointing out these were not dowels, but pegs that reinforced his stronger and better tenon joints. His point was if folks like dowels, that's what they got! (but better!)

Have a good week folks!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
perryobear
Gold Member

Post by perryobear »

John,

The wine racks (both of them) look great as does the Bird Bath! Finishing 2 projects in one week sort of puts the pressure on the rest of us.:o
The Flyers are down 2 games, so I guess my “wait till next year” lament is closing in.:(

Work on Family Room project got placed on hold for a bit last week. We took a trip out to Pittsburgh (enemy territory, but it wasn’t for hockey). Watched my oldest daughter graduate from Nursing School top in her class, straight A’s; she must take after her mom, but Dad is proud!:D

I squeezed in a visit to the Rockler store out in Pittsburgh, then it was off to NW PA to pick up my youngest son who just finished up his college freshman year. A lot of driving, not much woodworking, but a good week all told.:)

Hope everyone has a great week!

Regards to all,

Dennis
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Thanks again to all for the encouragement.

Chuck:

I have thought of making dowels from walnut etc., but again don't have the confidence to even attempt short ones. Congrats on getting 7 out of 9!

Have a good and safe trip!

Dennis:

I have been pulling for Philly and Dallas but it seems both will go the way my beloved Canadiens.

Spent another 30 bucks today on plants. When will she ever stop:D

John
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

Been away from the computer for a while. I finally finished the nightstands and they're in the bedroom. Pictures will follow, as soon as things settle down. The last week has been entertaining to say the least. Zero shop time to speak of. Lessee now...

Wednesday-German Shepherd gets nasty diarrhea, not your usual garbage-gut. Take Shepherd to vet. Shepherd has tumor in anus which requires surgery. Take Shepherd home on antibiotics to combat diarrhea. Surgery scheduled.
Thursday-coming home from work. Play dodge-the-deer with truck. End up in five-foot ditch. Almost rolled it over. Wrecked grill, right headlight, right front fender, entire right rockers, right rear quarterpanel, flatten right rear tire.
Friday-Golden Retriever gets diarrhea. Two big dogs with the runs. Lovely. Vet has left town. For the weekend, not because of the dogs. Also found out I will need surgery to repair torn tendon in right elbow (not dodge-the-deer related). Surgery will be performed by a people doc. Not the vet. Although the vet could probably do it. Should be a fun weekend.
Sat-Sun-except for two big dogs having to be let out every thirty minutes, relatively uneventful.
Monday-take Golden Retriever into vet. Golden has intestinal infection and is on antibiotics. Garbage gut, probably from eating something dead out in the woods.
Tuesday-take Shepherd in for surgery. Surgery more extensive than thought. Tumors removed from anus, right rear leg, and right ear. Dog has enough stitches in him to be Frankenstein. Higher than a kite on pain meds (actually, pretty funny, especially after a beer or two. Or three.).
Wednesday-take truck in to insurance adjuster and body shop. Damage more extensive than thought. Insurance will cover everything, including rental car. Thank God.

No, this is not one of those "priceless" commercials. All of the above really happened. I'm not one to cry about things. Glass half full and all of that. Both dogs are recovering nicely, everything broken on my truck is fixable, and hardwood floors throughout my house has made doggie clean ups, while not pleasant, far easier than with carpets. Life could definitely be a lot worse.
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Thank you for the story, Eric. I know that it was not funny as it happened, but it looks like you see some humor in it. If you don't laugh at it, you will cry.;)
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

Now that it's been a few days after the series of unfortunate events, I chuckle at it all. :) For instance: has anyone seen the movie "O' Brother Where Art Thou?" One of my favorites. In the end, during the flood, there's a shot of the Devil's bloodhound floating through the water in slow motion. Well, when I played dodge-the-deer I had my number one pard with me, my German Pinscher. I distinctly remember when flying off the road and trying to maintain control of my truck, seeing Guido floating through the air in my cab, in slow motion, just like the bloodhound in the movie. I also remember, after finally stopping and the "f" bombs had stopped dropping, Guido giving me a doggie version look of "what-in-the-hell-did-you-just-do?"
During the very first episode of my Shepherd's runs, I remember my step-son yelling "no, boy, NO BOY!! (say that with escalating 11 year-old panic in your voice)" as Sammy began to lose control of his bowels at the front door and me yelling at Carson to "HURRY UP AND OPEN THE DAMN DOOR!" and then just as he got the door open the splat of impact on the floor. And then Carson began to gag...
There are a few more instances where I can look back now and just chuckle. While they occured, they weren't so pleasant. But, now, they're kinda funny.
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Earlier this week, the recycling truck backed up to pick up my "green" garbage, and forgot to stop before putting a hole in the front bumper of my fairly new Oddesy. I was not laughing and thought I may never recycle again if that is my reward.

After reading Eric's tale of horror, I can't say I feel better, but know I am well off.

Eic:

First, we are glad to hear that after your dodge-the-deer episode you were not injured. Second, I sure hope the rest of the YEAR goes better.

John