Bandsaw Bearings

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Bandsaw Bearings

Post by dusty »

Go ahead. Tell me to read my manual. This is something that everyone should do. Nearly all questions are answered there is one reads the manual thoroughly.

Why are the bearings for the upper and lower wheels not user replaceable?:confused: :confused::(

Hopefully I am wrong. If I am, please point me to the part numbers and any pertinent instructions.:o
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Need a press

Post by chiroindixon »

The bearings need to be put in a hydraulic press to be knocked in/out. Try it with your fingers....Ain't happening. At least for the average SS owner.

Bearings are done with an international code number. If you have the number (stamped on the bearing) any bearing shop can press in/out a change out.

I had to change out some bearings I destroyed on my SS planer. Local shop got it easy....and cheap....

Good luck...

Doc
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Some good advice, Doc, but Dusty needs a little more info. The upper bearing may be pressed out of the wheel, as you indicated. But the lower bearing must be removed from the drive shaft. The procedure for replacing the upper bearing is as simple as you describe, but I strongly recommend that owners let us replace the lower bearing. The bearing's position on the shaft is critical.

This might also be a good time to note that the lower bearing is sealed, but the upper bearing is not. It's a needle bearing that needs a dollop of grease from time to time -- an important maintenance chore that owners often ignore until the upper bearing begins making a grinding sound.

With all good wishes,
saw
Bronze Member

Bandsaw Bearings

Post by saw »

B88-TOR (Torrington)

I have to replace mine. I'm not going to ship the entire wheel assembly for replacement and I'm certainly not going to buy a whole new wheel assembly. I could buy a brand new comparable bandsaw for that price. The bearings are less than $3.00.

Tom
saw
Bronze Member

Post by saw »

Nick, are the upper and lower bearings different? 'cause that is not what I have been told.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Nick:

Thanks for the information. I've had my bandsaw for over 20 years and did not realize (remember) that the upper bearing was not sealed. I pulled the upper wheel off and re-greased the needle bearing. Fortunately it is still in fine shape.

By-the-way, in removing the wheel I destroyed the retaining ring (517642). This may be a common occurance with this repair. I've just placed an order and included this part.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Nick, are the upper and lower bearings different? 'cause that is not what I have been told.

Saw, ol' buddy, you have been lied to. The upper and lower bearing are about as different as they can get. The upper bearing is a simple, unsealed needle bearing, relatively easy to replace if you have the equipment (an arbor press) and a little experience.

The lower bearing is a different size and a different design. Just to be able to better answer you, I found one in the discard bin where we repair and refurbish machines. I tried to press the bearing off the shaft with a 20-ton press to see how it was made -- and no joy! Would not budge. The factory folks tell me this bearing is very similar to one used in high-end submersible pumps and that the shaft and the bearing are an integral unit. The shaft, in fact, is machined and polished to serve as a race for the bearings and you cannot replace one without replacing the other. Taking them apart -- say with a 100-ton press -- destroys both the bearing and the shaft. Cool, huh? Soon as I can borrow a 100-ton press and a bomb suit, I'll let you know what happens.

With all good wishes,
mjmclain2
Bronze Member

Bandsaw problem

Post by mjmclain2 »

Can anyone help me? I purchased a used a shopsmith bandsaw and refirbished some of it, new guide bearins,tires and replaced the upper wheel bearings. I seem to have deflection in the blade when I cut. It will not cut square? The only thing i can see is the upper wheel might have to much play. Any help would be appreceiated I have no manual for th band saw. Thanks
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

Grease for Band-saw Upper Bearing.

The manual says to use Cup Grease for the Band-saw upper bearing, SS said I could also use furnace grease or any Non Lithium Grease.

I can't find any grease that doesn't contain Lithium, any one know where I might find some?

Thanks,

Jim in Tucson
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

non lithium grease

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi Jim in Tucson,

What is wrong with wheel bearing grease? The stuff I have does not have any lithium. I think that the only reason not to use lithium based grease is due to the low melting point it has. One of the non-lithium types that I have is Sta-Lube Hi-Temp Disc Brake Grease. On the can is stated that it is good for any high temp situation including high temperature lubrication of mechanical equipment.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.