Shopsmith Bandsaw Bearings

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

backhertz
Platinum Member

Post by backhertz »

In my on-going Shopsmith restoration, I'm still waiting on backorders: a couple of quadrant assys & a power cord. I am one double-bearing quill bearing short due to an Ebay seller listing one twice, when he only had one. So rather than pay to ship just one bearing, I took my band saw cover off & figured I'd get the bearing numbers so I can spread the shipping cost over several bearings. I'm a believer in replacing bearings rather than try to re-lubricate sealed bearings.

I took the wheels off. The upper wheel uses two needle bearing assemblies marked USA B INA SCE88. These are common.

The lower wheel has what looks to be an idler assy shaft. The markings are: 885144 A Japan OPC. I Googled it and found this is a common water pump assembly part.

The tensioner has two 627Z bearings which are one next to the other. These are common bearings, I believe.

The upper & lower guide bearings are marked SST WC77037-1. I was unable to find these on the net. I understand in the old bandsaws, these bearings were made of bronze. Anyone know of these?

Tony
One Greenie, Two Mark 7s,Three 510s and much more…
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

There is another thread started by LDH, he posted a great set of plans to do an upgrade to the bearings. I have attached it again here. I have done it and it works great, I have lots of exta parts because I purchased items in bulk, PM me if you are interested.
[ATTACH]1504[/ATTACH]
Attachments
UpperLowerBackup.PDF
(34.07 KiB) Downloaded 2428 times
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

The upper bandsaw wheel will accept GB88 bearing also. The upper and lower bearing guides will accept 77037 or WC87037 bearings. I get them from http://www.ebatmus.com for customers. The old bronze bearings just needed lubication when oiling the headstock. I remove the bronze bearings and use a good grade of wheel bearing grease. Never had any problems with my bandsaw in 28 years. I will continue to use the bronze bearings in my personal bandsaws.
backhertz wrote:In my on-going Shopsmith restoration, I'm still waiting on backorders: a couple of quadrant assys & a power cord. I am one double-bearing quill bearing short due to an Ebay seller listing one twice, when he only had one. So rather than pay to ship just one bearing, I took my band saw cover off & figured I'd get the bearing numbers so I can spread the shipping cost over several bearings. I'm a believer in replacing bearings rather than try to re-lubricate sealed bearings.

I took the wheels off. The upper wheel uses two needle bearing assemblies marked USA B INA SCE88. These are common.

The lower wheel has what looks to be an idler assy shaft. The markings are: 885144 A Japan OPC. I Googled it and found this is a common water pump assembly part.

The tensioner has two 627Z bearings which are one next to the other. These are common bearings, I believe.

The upper & lower guide bearings are marked SST WC77037-1. I was unable to find these on the net. I understand in the old bandsaws, these bearings were made of bronze. Anyone know of these?

Tony
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
eagleflight53
Bronze Member

bandsaw bearings

Post by eagleflight53 »

I could use a little help finding the bearings for my bandsaw; particularly the upper wheel needle bearings. I appreciate the help from this site.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Your answer is in post #3.
Last edited by beeg on Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

I have been using 2 higher quality 627Z bearings at all 3 bandsaw bearing/bushing locations for customers. I had to use a very thin shim on the inside bearing on the upper and lower blade guide locations and file a small notch on the blade guides for the outside bearings to clear. I used the 514008 shoulder screw in all 3 locations. I will continue to use the bronze bushings on my personal bandsaws and lube them when I do the headstock.

I have ceramic guide blocks available for the Shopsmith bandsaw.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
benjamin
Silver Member

Blade guide assembly

Post by benjamin »

On the shopsmith bandsaw, is the blade guide that holds the bearings a die cast or machined part?
briancs
Bronze Member

Post by briancs »

backhertz wrote:The lower wheel has what looks to be an idler assy shaft. The markings are: 885144 A Japan OPC. I Googled it and found this is a common water pump assembly part.
Problem is that this is a bearing/shaft assembly where the shaft is part of the bearing and Shopsmith appears to have molded the wheel on the shaft making it impossible to change just the bearing/shaft.

Or did someone find a way to remove the shaft from the wheel or bearings?

Brian
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

briancs wrote:Problem is that this is a bearing/shaft assembly where the shaft is part of the bearing and Shopsmith appears to have molded the wheel on the shaft making it impossible to change just the bearing/shaft.

Brian

I think Nick once posted that he tried to remove this water-pump-type bearing with a 100 ton press, and it wouldn't budge....
Chris
goodolesmitty
Bronze Member

Post by goodolesmitty »

briancs wrote:Problem is that this is a bearing/shaft assembly where the shaft is part of the bearing and Shopsmith appears to have molded the wheel on the shaft making it impossible to change just the bearing/shaft.

Brian

I'm happy,happy,happy!

Today I put a 3 arm puller on my '59 Magna (Shopsmith) lower band saw wheel, and it easily :D started pushing out the shaft bearing assembly (New Departure 885126). Now I'm going to start looking for equivalent, or that 885144 A Japan OPC that was mentioned.

I thought I was doomed to start saving up for the $100 complete assembly.

Especially after I read:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I think Nick once posted that he tried to remove this water-pump-type >bearing with a 100 ton press, and it wouldn't budge...." ~Chris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe Nick was trying it on a different year band saw?

...and Bill, I appreciate your insight on keeping the bronze bushed guide bearings. Will save me some money!

John ~S.F. Bay area
10ER #39030 (+ 3 more), Mark V 1980, 10ER Jointer, A-34 Jigsaw I'm testing, 10ER SPT mount for Bandsaw, Belt sander, Scroll Saw