WoodshopTips single PDF download

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reubenjames
Gold Member

WoodshopTips single PDF download

Post by reubenjames »

Hello all!

I was messing around on the old http://www.woodshoptips.com/tips page recently and found it a bit cumbersome to use. The search doesn't appear to work anymore, and using the dropdown to navigate was also a bit awkard.

The majority of the first 215 tips on there also have accompanying PDF files you can download for free. So I did what any sane techie would do, and I used wget to automatically download all the PDFs on the site, and then I combined them all into a single PDF, then I extracted the article names from the dropdown list on the page, and finally I hand copied/pasted all of those names into the bookmarks in the PDF.

I know a lot of this material can be found elsewhere, and some is straight from PTWFE, but I thought it might be useful for some people. You can use the bookmarks in the PDF to navigate, or you can search the entire PDF itself easily.

The file is ~170 MB, the link is below. I hope this helps someone!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/522 ... opTips.pdf
Alec S.
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 and Power Pro (SN 000527)
1983 Mark V Shop Deputy (SN 163487)
1982 Mark V headstock (SN 122265)
1949 (?) 10 ER in transition to dedicated drill press (SN 18677)
11" Band Saw (Aluminum Table System upgrade) (SN 34026)
4" Jointer (SN 02-18-98)
6" Belt Sander (SN 19012)
18" Jig Saw (SN 17407)
20" Scroll Saw (SN 010593)
12" Thickness Planer (SN 10406)
Strip Sander (SN pending)
DC3300 Dust Collector (SN 102088)
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Re: WoodshopTips single PDF download

Post by Lodgepole »

Thanks! I appreciate the effort you must have put in to this. I definitely plan on using it!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So teach me about 'embedded bookmarks'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reubenjames
Gold Member

Post by reubenjames »

JPG wrote:So teach me about 'embedded bookmarks'.
I assume you are asking about the bookmarks in the combined PDF file? Well, if I were to just download all the PDFs and use Adobe Acrobat to jam them all into a single PDF (which I did), what you would end up with would be each bookmark in the PDF would use the file name. Unfortunately, the file names for these PDFs were all dates (030518.pdf, and so on), so it wasn't every helpful. So I went in and re-named the bookmarks so instead of showing "030518", it would show something like "All you need to know about sawing" or whatever the title in the dropdown menu of their website listed for that article.

A picture is worth a thousand words:
bookmarks.PNG
bookmarks.PNG (322.79 KiB) Viewed 9936 times
So you can just click on the article you want using the bookmarks on the left and it will jump to it. Or, of course, you can always just search the entire PDF for the term(s) you are looking for and it will find them that way.

Is that what you were looking for?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reubenjames wrote:
JPG wrote:So teach me about 'embedded bookmarks'.
I assume you are asking about the bookmarks in the combined PDF file? Well, if I were to just download all the PDFs and use Adobe Acrobat to jam them all into a single PDF (which I did), what you would end up with would be each bookmark in the PDF would use the file name. Unfortunately, the file names for these PDFs were all dates (030518.pdf, and so on), so it wasn't every helpful. So I went in and re-named the bookmarks so instead of showing "030518", it would show something like "All you need to know about sawing" or whatever the title in the dropdown menu of their website listed for that article.

A picture is worth a thousand words:
bookmarks.PNG
So you can just click on the article you want using the bookmarks on the left and it will jump to it. Or, of course, you can always just search the entire PDF for the term(s) you are looking for and it will find them that way.

Is that what you were looking for?
That'll do RJ, that'll do! :cool: Thanks.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This is going to be handy! I have bunch of these printed and filed in a note book but not all of them. Having the file and all bookmarked will allow local searches.

Thank you.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

Downloaded, thanks dude, you da man! :cool:
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

Very much appreciated. Loading on my iPad now.

Thanks again,

Mike
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

Thank You!!!
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

Amazing! Thank you.