Sand disc paper not sticking

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hagarz71
Gold Member

Sand disc paper not sticking

Post by hagarz71 »

:confused: The problem i have is fairly minor but annoying. I've read with how to remove the old sand paper and had no problems using my oven. The problem is getting the new sand paper to stick all the way around. I put it on it and it looked great, the next day the edges were pulled up. I did wipe down the disc with out any solution to remove dust prior to applying the new paper, i'm curious if that is my problem.

Thanks for any help
berry
Platinum Member

Sanding Disk Curling

Post by berry »

I've had similar proeblems and attributed it to age of the sandpaper disk (mine are more than a couple years old) and the fact that I initially stored them in a vertical position. The 3 or 4 I had 'in stock' were so curled so that I don't think they'll ever flatten out but I have moved them to a location where they are stored nearly flat and with weight on top.

When I put a new sandpaper disk on, I warm my steel disk and microwave the sandpaper for 30 seconds on a medium setting with a coffee cup in the center holding it flat. After I put the disk on I leave it on a bench, sandpaper side down, with weight on top. It seems to help, but I still get some curling. I think the solution is to store them flat.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Shouldn't matter if you store them horizontal or vertical and, no, the adhesive does not lose its "stick" perceptibly over 3-4 years. The trick is to apply the sandpaper to a warm (70-100 degrees F), clean (no dust, no old adhesive) plate. Clean the plate thoroughly with mineral spirits or naptha and let the solvent evaporate completely. Warm the plate with a heat gun or in an oven and apply the sandpaper.

If, by some chance, you got a batch of sandpaper with bad adhesive (I've never heard of this happening, but I suppose it could), spray the plate with a little 3M "77" spray adhesive (available at most hardware stores).

With all good wishes,
fjimp
Platinum Member

New sanding paper disks

Post by fjimp »

Nick,

I purchased my SS new in March of this year and the disks with paper a month later. The three disks I have used all have had problems with the paper not sticking. So I guess it does happen. I will try the 3m glue. Jim
wurlitzerwilly
Gold Member

Post by wurlitzerwilly »

I too have the conical sanding disc and that is the worst of all for shedding sandpaper. Probably due to the outward tension always present due to its shape.

I suspect that the disc was not hot enough when I tried to glue on the paper last time, so I'm going to use a heat gun (electric paint stripper) to get it all a bit warmer.

I'll post back here if successful.
Regards,

Alan.
www.theatreorgans.co.uk
www.virtualtheatreorgans.com
Admin: UKShopsmiths Group
Theatre Pipe Organ Builder
ShopSmith V520 + Power Pro
rolands
Gold Member

Post by rolands »

Nick is right on with his comments. The main thing is to make sure there isn't any glue left at all. Even a little spot will loosen the sanding disk. Mineral spirits works well, but let it evaporate completely. I've been doing it this way for 18 years with no problems.
drlove
Bronze Member

Post by drlove »

The first time I used my conical sanding disk, I had the wonderful shredding sandpaper experience even though I thought I cleaned and heated the disk enough. When I put my second sheet on, I noticed two spots on the leading gap that were a bit loose. I had accidently gotten a bit of dust on the back of the sandpaper after I removed the protective paper. I clamped the two spots, pointed a hot shop light at it and found something else to do for awhile. The combination of pressure and heat solved the problem. I even ran some fairly uneven rough wood through the sander without any ripping or tearing.

I might I add that I really like the conical sanding disk. I can't justify the expense of of a planer and/or jointer yet, so I use the disk quite a bit. The only problem I have had with it lately was forgetting to reset the table from 4 degrees back to zero. I proceeded to cut about 16 two ft. lengths of 2x4s with a "perfect" 86 degree angle.

David Love