#2 morse taper

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

deanthom
Gold Member

Banjo Picture

Post by deanthom »

Just to be clear, on most lathes, the banjo is just the chunk of stuff that the toolrest fits into. The SS universal tool rest has what would be a banjo on dedicated lathes, plus a big chunk of metal that spans the way tubes.

I'm including a picture of a Powermatic lathe with an arrow pointing to the back of the banjo, just so you can clearly see the banjo bridging the gap in the bed of a dedicated lathe.
And yep, that live center is a BIG little improvement.

Hoping that helps.
Dean Thomas
KCMO
520, jointer, bandsaw, stripsander
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Thanks for the picture.

To be clear, it is not just the live center but the two 1.5" extensions that make the difference.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I saw a post either here or at another shopsmith site that sure opened my eyes to another interesting way to adapt the universal tool rest.

First let me say I've looked but can't seem to find the post.... other wise I would have added the thanks there........ THANKS

Now it was clear that one could use 3/4" tool post holders but I did not even think about the option of using 1" items. The key to this is the fact that the support base assembly has a 1" hole! (item #6 in the parts list).

Since these part name may not ring any bells I've attached a couple of pictures.

[ATTACH]48[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]49[/ATTACH]

Ed
Attachments
tool support.jpg
tool support.jpg (271.74 KiB) Viewed 13444 times
support.jpg
support.jpg (211.59 KiB) Viewed 13445 times
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

What is the advantage of 1" over 3/4".
deanthom
Gold Member

Post by deanthom »

Three advantages:

Stability. The fatter the post, the more stable the rest.

Availability. If you have certain other tools/lathes, you may already own a couple of nice, fat posted toolrests.

Adaptability. Some extras or accessories on other lathes might just work with your machine where they never would before. Like the coring systems (McNaughton, specifically).
Dean Thomas
KCMO
520, jointer, bandsaw, stripsander