quadrant loop installation

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jbuis
Silver Member

quadrant loop installation

Post by jbuis »

Needless to say that I am new to Shopsmiths. I recently bought a 1956 greenie. I have been trying to put it back together without benefit of manuals or literature of any kind.

Unfortunately, all related technical advice I can find assumes that the user has seen a Shopsmith in one piece before. I have the quadrant loop, but am uncertain about how to put it on.

Does anyone have a photo of what the loop looks like when properly installed or step by step directions on how to install one? Please keep in mind that I have never seen a Shopsmith in one piece and all I know is what I have been able to figure out on my own or discern from the web.

Thanks,
Jim
dusty
Platinum Member

Quadrant Loop Assembly

Post by dusty »

First, a reference to a data source that may help in the future:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/productmanuals.htm

This Sawdust Session is about the belts but it might help you get a visualization of the quadrant:

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS104/SS104_Replacing_Belts.htm

This one is about lubrication:

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS111/SS111_Mark_V_Maintenance.htm

This one discusses the speed control and shows the quadrant:

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS117/SS117_Replacing_Speed_Changer.htm

Good luck. Hope to hear that you are making sawdust very soon.

This was an afterthought. The PDF version of the catalog has some parts diagrams (exploded views that might help. You can load the catalog by clicking on Father's Day Catalog Product Index Inside Pages : (middle of page about two thirds down)

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/

Do an Adobe Search on part number 504198.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jbuis
Silver Member

Post by jbuis »

I have looked at pretty much everything and cannot find any illustration that shows the quadrant loop in any detail. Even the videos do not show it clearly.

The loop I have has been totally removed from the sheave. It has a "spring like" portion that wraps around part of it. Where does the spring portion go relative to the quadrant, on top of it?

I suppose I ought to dig out my camera and upload a photo of it.

Thanks,
Jim
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

The "retaining loop" (504187) belongs on the end of the control sheave assembly. It should be attached to the bearing on the end of the bronze shaft. This shaft is bored and contains a keyway. The shaft is slides over the idler shaft and should slide open and closed easily over idler shaft and the "short key" with no rotational or lateral play.

When attached, the loop will flip over the end of the quadrant assembly spring when the speed control is turned to fast.

I'll snap a photo of the thing tomorrow A.M. (I have saved my old worn out unit.) At this time I don't think I can separate the "retaining loop" from the bearing, but the loop may spread a little to allow separation and replacement. We'll see!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
jbuis
Silver Member

Post by jbuis »

Regarding the sequence of installation, is the loop attached to the control sheave first? Do you then have to insert the speed control through the loop while installing the speed control or can the loop swing over the end of the speed control after the speed control has already been installed?

Jim
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

jbuis wrote:Regarding the sequence of installation, is the loop attached to the control sheave first? Do you then have to insert the speed control through the loop while installing the speed control or can the loop swing over the end of the speed control after the speed control has already been installed?

Jim
The loop is part of the control sheave.

After the entire machine is assembled the loop can be coaxed to swing over the speed control assembly. The spring (a single metal leaf) on the speed control must be pushed toward the control sheave and while held down with one finger, the loop can be coaxed to flip over the spring.

The second snap shot (out of focus) was made to show you how a small rollpin fits through the nub on the bearing - and the loop fits into the rollpin.
I didn't try to remove the loop!

[ATTACH]1581[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1582[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1583[/ATTACH]
Attachments
HPIM1773.jpg
HPIM1773.jpg (120.17 KiB) Viewed 10865 times
HPIM1775.jpg
HPIM1775.jpg (122.49 KiB) Viewed 10861 times
HPIM1776.jpg
HPIM1776.jpg (127.7 KiB) Viewed 10840 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
jbuis
Silver Member

Post by jbuis »

charlese wrote:The loop is part of the control sheave.

After the entire machine is assembled the loop can be coaxed to swing over the speed control assembly. The spring (a single metal leaf) on the speed control must be pushed toward the control sheave and while held down with one finger, the loop can be coaxed to flip over the spring.

The second snap shot (out of focus) was made to show you how a small rollpin fits through the nub on the bearing - and the loop fits into the rollpin.
I didn't try to remove the loop!
Charles,
Thank you very much for the photos!!! Of course, they do bring up more questions. My SS is a 1956, so it may be different in some respects. My control sheave, at least in its current condition, does not have a roll pin in it, only a hole. The original speed control was bent badly, probably by the quadrant loop coming loose and the control sheave slamming into the speed control. I bought a new speed control from SS.

My loop has the coiled spring piece on a different part of the loop. It is on the side compared to yours being on the end, that is to say the spring piece is at 90 degrees compared to yours.

I guess I'll check the diameter of the hole in my control sheave to see if it is large enough to accommodate a roll pin. I think it is too small for that.

Does anyone know if the loop arrangement on the old greenies is one of the things that has been significantly changed on the newer models?

Thanks,
Jim
dusty
Platinum Member

Quadrant Loop

Post by dusty »

I see Charlese has been "Johny on the Spot" with his photos. I have a couple others to offer. Same subject, slightly different view.

The spring belongs where you see it in the not so good 4th photo. I don't know if you can move it around the corner or not. I tried to move mine but wasn't willing to apply enough force to make it go around the corner.

The spring doesn't function like a spring at all, it functionsis more like a bearing

[ATTACH]1584[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1585[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1586[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1587[/ATTACH].
Attachments
Quadrant Loop 2.JPG
Quadrant Loop 2.JPG (139.42 KiB) Viewed 10842 times
Quadrant Loop 3.JPG
Quadrant Loop 3.JPG (151.02 KiB) Viewed 10828 times
Quadrant Loop 4.JPG
Quadrant Loop 4.JPG (134.34 KiB) Viewed 10833 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jbuis
Silver Member

Post by jbuis »

Okay, I was able to slide the spring/bearing around the corner so that it is now positioned the same as the two of you have shown me in your pictures.

Thank you both very much for going to the trouble of posting the pictures.

I still need to measure the hole in the control sheave to see what size the roll pin would need to be. I think the previous owner must have put it together without the roll pin which led to the damage I have had to deal with.

Thanks,
Jim
bigmoe
Gold Member

Post by bigmoe »

Jim, I am wondering what roll pin you are talking about in the control sheave I have a 1955 Mark V and the only hole in the control sheave is the one for oiling the shaft. Somewhere I read that the Greenies do not have that hole in the control sheave, and if it doesn't it is recommended to drill a oil hole. The key way on the shaft is what keeps the sheaves lined up.
1955 Mark V ShopSmith greenie New to me :) Magna Band saw, Magna Jointer, Magna Jigsaw (Restoration in progress) Barracuda Wood Lathe Key Chuck System, Woodmaster Multi-tool (ShopSmith Clone)
When all else fails fallow directions.:)