Need Shopsmith Mark VII Parts

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

n240sxle91
Gold Member

Need Shopsmith Mark VII Parts

Post by n240sxle91 »

I just bought a Mark VII last week and I'm loving learning all about it. However, it is missing a couple of parts. I'm hoping someone might have some spare parts lying around that would be willing to part with them.

So far I've noticed I need the parts for the "traverse release". Looking at the parts manual they are the following two parts
501361 - Handle - Clutch (Incl. Setscrew)
501362 - Cam - Clutch

If someone has these on a spare machine and is willing to sell them please let me know! Thanks!

Steve
Steamdragon
Gold Member

Re: Need Shopsmith Mark VII Parts

Post by Steamdragon »

Drop me a line about parts
richardrouse
Gold Member

Post by richardrouse »

If you still need a cam, I have some 3d printed ones that will be available at the end of July. I am out of town for the next few weeks and wont return until then.
n240sxle91
Gold Member

Post by n240sxle91 »

That would be great! How much are you selling them for?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

n240sxle91 wrote:That would be great! How much are you selling them for?
$25 ;)

A set of 4 way tube racks is much more($15 each.

At least that is what he has listed them on E-bay for. :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
richardrouse
Gold Member

Post by richardrouse »

JPG is right.. although, I'm building a new 3d printer that will print much cheaper... and possibly will be able to print the rack gear in the original factory length.

if you send me a private message with your email, I will be happy to let you know when I'm back in town.

It wont be until at least 7/26 though.
n240sxle91
Gold Member

Post by n240sxle91 »

Are you talking about the speed control cam, or the "cam-clutch" for the traverse release? I need the cam for the traverse release.

Also, I am interested in a rack gear. I have two teeth broken on mine.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

He(we) be talking about the speed control cam. :)

If I get a chance tomorrow to take measurements of the release cam I will post the dimensions.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
n240sxle91
Gold Member

Post by n240sxle91 »

That would be great! Thanks
JPG
Platinum Member

MARK VII TRAVERSE CLUTCH CAM/SHAFT

Post by JPG »

First the parts you need(+ tinnerman clips to mount the 'hole').
MVII TRAVERSE CLUTCH CAM PARTS.jpg
MVII TRAVERSE CLUTCH CAM PARTS.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 7190 times
Somewhat crude, but effective. Consider all od dimension +0 -.005
MVII TRAVERSE CLUTCH CAM DIMENSIONS.jpg
MVII TRAVERSE CLUTCH CAM DIMENSIONS.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 7190 times
I NEGLECTED TO INCLUDE THE CAM 'HEIGHT' = 11/16.<<<< EDIT

Best method is with a machinist lathe from 1" round stock. Then alter the actual cam profile.

A more likely method is start with a 1/4" shaft, add bushings to increase od, fabricate cam from plate and attach to tapped shaft with screw and locktite the whole shebang.

Getting the bushings to dimension will likely require od machining(filing while turning) and length cutting.
Last edited by JPG on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝