SS Accessories: Made in China?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Chuck
I agree with much of what you say, but when all the screaming and shouting is over where do the profits, not the cost of manufacture, or wages, but the profits, the items on the asset side of the ledger go? And whose economy do they bolster? I guarantee you it is ain't the US.
Ed
I debated a bit whether to answer this or not. But in the Air Bus example, about half of the end profits will likely show up on Northrup's ledgers. The other half? - It'll mix with Northrup's into the World Economy and Market Place.

At the risk of sounding subversive or something (I'm really a proud U.S. military veteran) - I believe the days of economic isolationship really ended with WWII. When nations swapped technology - Assembly lines to Japan , Rockets to the U.S., Atomic power to almost the whole world, Etc. Etc.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

SS Accessories: Made in China

Post by dusty »

I bowed out of this discussion once before but I just can not resist putting my 16 yuan back in.

Why would I prefer to buy US? Because I would like to think that doing so would benefit other US citizens. In fact, it would be ideal if all of the labor costs associated with any product I purchased was in fact US labor. We know it is not. Example: The labor cost associated with the Shopsmith on/off switch is calculated in pesos.

If the products that I buy are US made, there is a chance that those dollars show up in US pockets somewhere. But if the products are made elsewhere none of that money shows up in US pockets. That is not consistent with my ideal.

If the products are made in China, those pockets are Chinese accounts where I definitely don't want to put my money. This is as far from ideal as this can get.:mad:

Can I do anything about it. No, not really because the money trail is really well hidden. But I can avoid spending my money for those items that I KNOW are not quality or suspect are not quality because they have an origin in China.:mad:

For all we know, the castings on the Shopsmith headstock may be manufactured by a company that Nick has been told is US but they may keep all of their money in a bank account in Beijing. The stamp that is on the box that the headstock was shipped in means squat.:(

It is sort of getting to the point where "Made in the USA" means squat.

I'm off the soap box for now.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
gregf
Gold Member

Post by gregf »

Just for grins I stopped at HD on the way home.
Dewalt, Milwaukee, Irwin drill bits, all from China.

I'm sure we agree that we hope SS souces local when possible.
Richwood, OH
There is no such thing as an unsafe tool, only unsafe owners. If you make a machine idiot-proof, God will invent a better idiot.
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

gregf wrote:Just for grins I stopped at HD on the way home.
Dewalt, Milwaukee, Irwin drill bits, all from China.

I'm sure we agree that we hope SS souces local when possible.

Funny you mention that.. I was at Lowes about a week ago and checked out their selection of angle-grinders from Hitachi, Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch -- all but the Bosch (Germany) and Milwaukee (Mexico) were made in China.. My brother came over this past weekend to help me weld up a gate on the side yard and had a angle grinder he bought several years ago from HF.. Needless to say it sounded like it was going to blow-up with nasty sounding bearings.. Now, I'm certainly no angle grinder expert but those bearings were NOT sounding good at all.. I suspect a well made product would not sound that way after a few years of use.. Oh well.. I'll keep trying to support US made products as much as I can..
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
1983 Mark V model 510 (SN#140061)
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Chuck
I agree with much of what you say, but when all the screaming and shouting is over where do the profits, not the cost of manufacture, or wages, but the profits, the items on the asset side of the ledger go? And whose economy do they bolster? I guarantee you it is ain't the US.
Ed

It goes to the stockholders, anyone here can own stock in Honda or Northrop and many European companies just like they own US stocks. Nothing has been more profitable lately then owning ADR's.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

I purchased a set of very cheap China made Forstner bits on eBay and after using them for one cedar project most of the bits were dull. About that time Shopsmith had a sale on Forstner bits at a really good price, I dumped the eBay ones and purchased the Shopsmith ones assuming they would be better (at least made in the US). It turns out it looks like they were made in the same factory and are equally bad. One serious use and they are dull, this time I drilled about 10 1" deep holes in mahogany in 5 different sizes and before finishing the bits were getting dull. Before people jump on technique, I used the slowest speed and cleared the holes every 1/4 inch.

This weekend Rockler is having a sale on Forstner bits and before purchasing them I am going to do a physical inspection and drill some holes.

I want this to be the last set of bits I purchase for many years. If I drill 50 holes per year in one size I would be shocked.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

Forstner bits have teeth like the old-style steel saw blade, but quite a bit smaller. The harder the wood, the quicker they dull. The only type of Forstner bit I have found that lasts any length of time is a carbide-tipped bit. And even these need sharpening time-to-time.

With use, they will dull like any other tool. You can always use a small credit-card size diamond hone to sharpen the normal type bits. A couple of swipes on each tooth and they're like new again. Like any sharp tool, you need to keep them that way. A dull tool is a dangerous tool.
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Thanks for the feedback about carbide, I guess I am looking for a set of carbide bits.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

Just looking through my Woodworker's Supply catalog, and I notice with pleasure that items are either listed as imported or USA. The choice is mine. I too would be disappointed to order an item thought to be USA produced to find that it was imported. Just purchased a new 7.5" saw, chose PortaCable, as it is manufactured in the USA. Just my thing.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

kalynzoo wrote:Just looking through my Woodworker's Supply catalog, and I notice with pleasure that items are either listed as imported or USA. The choice is mine. I too would be disappointed to order an item thought to be USA produced to find that it was imported. Just purchased a new 7.5" saw, chose PortaCable, as it is manufactured in the USA. Just my thing.

Glad to hear Woodworker's Supply is doing this. I believe as the US economy continues it slide into the dumper we are going to see real attitude changes take place with the American consumer. People are going to quickly see that building the economy of a sworn enemy (China) is not the smartest thing we ever did.
Someone mentioned the ability to buy stock in a China companies. Do they really think they own anything? You really believe you own something in a country that is communist ran and communist controlled? If so I have this little deal that it sure to make you rich. You see I have this bridge that just happens to be in the middle of New York. If you buy it and charge a toll well you can just imagine .........
Ed