SS Accessories: Made in China?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

fjimp wrote:I bought a complete set of those bits two years ago. Until I used one today had never noticed they were made in China. That being said I have absolutely no complaint with the quality. I am sorry to have my dollars ultimately going to China yet realize that is the world we live in. Jim
Thank you for sharing your experience, Jim.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Made in China

Post by dusty »

I am beginning to feel that we have entered into this battle much to late; so late that we don't have a chance. If that sounds defeated, well that is probably because that is the way I feel.

I went out today to use a $100.00 gift card that I received for my birthday. I knew what I wanted - clamps, clamps and more clamps. I was prepared to add my own money at the register.

The gift card was for Lowes. I had no choice but go to Lowes. Well, I could not gone anywhere if that's a choice.

I got lucky. They had clamps on sale, Blessey clamps no less. I began putting clamps in the shopping cart until I was certain I had spent the $100.00. Checked out and found that I had spent $186.00.

Got home and started to take the tags off and hang the clamps when I noticed that no two of my new 36" Blessey's were the same size. Same for the 24" clamps.

Compared these with my other Blesseys. Don't even feel the same; lighter in weight.

Now I look. Made in China. All of the new ones. I thought Blessey was a Canadian Company with plants throughout the UK and maybe they are but they also have plants in China.

Packed them up, took them back and got my money back (in Credit) and Gift card).

I then looked at twenty three other items in the tool department. Kobalt, DeWalt, Stanley, Bosch and a couple others. Eighteen were made in China.

I came home. Bought nothing but gasoline to fill the tanks.

Even the items made in the USA are "made using both foreign and domestic parts and assemblies".

I also walked through the lumber section looking for an indication of origin. I found none.

It has not been a good day.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

[quote="dusty"]I am beginning to feel that we have entered into this battle much to late]

Dusty we have a new Lowes near our home. It's been open two weeks. I needed a couple of fasteners to finish a repair job. My loving wife had never been to this new box store so we tried it. I did buy the fasteners. Fortunately I bought an extra one as one broke. We looked at the tools on sale and I pointed out the made in China label on them. Another customer heard my negative comment and offered, "Fella if you buy that crap you will be trying to return it in short order!" I loved hearing someone mirror my disatisfaction for the store clerks to hear. Ever since the plywood lesson I intentionally avoid Chineese goods. I am sorry to hear your story yet heard another story re Bessy clamps on another discussion forum. I noted that the supplier involved has been trying to give away their supply of clamps for several months. I'll bet they never buy another shipment. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

As I had started this thread talking about drill bits that I had purchased, that I wrongly assumed wood be made in the USA, I have to point out that in the On-Line sales cat for the current "2008 Sawing and Drilling Sale", either ShopSmith has found a "Made In The USA" source for their brad point bits, or they are making a false statement. Please note the last sentence in the description.
Is this now accurate? If so, I believe that progress is being made.:)

[quote]
Shopsmith's Brad Point Drill Bits - You won't find any higher quality bits than these!
Image If you’re struggling to bore clean, attractive holes in wood with ordinary twist-style or spade bits, you’re making a mistake. For general purpose wood drilling, nothing beats Brad-Point Bits.
A super-sharp point at the tip locates the hole with unwavering precision, then "bites-in" to hold the bit on center as it advances.
The two side spurs slice cleanly through the wood fibers, making a perfectly round, splinter-free entry and exit, while the deep chip channels eject the chips quickly.
Shopsmith Brad Points are available individually or one of four sets. All bits above 1/2-inch have 1/2-inch shanks. Shopsmith Brad Point Drill Bits are made in U.S.A
[/quote][/color]

This quote was taken from: http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/SawingPromo/rd_bradpointbits.htm
Tim

gregf
Gold Member

Post by gregf »

The Discovery Channel had a documentary Weds. and Thursday, The People's Republic of Capitalism.
If you didn't see it, watch for a rerun.
It focused on two companies Walmart and Briggs and Stratton.

They interviewed an ex B&S employee that had been outsourced to China.
The interesting thing was when they asked if she still shopped at Walmart, buying things made in China, the answer was yes.

Most people don't care where things come from they just want cheap was the point they made.

It's an interesting show reagardless of your opinions on the subject.
Richwood, OH
There is no such thing as an unsafe tool, only unsafe owners. If you make a machine idiot-proof, God will invent a better idiot.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

gregf wrote:...They interviewed an ex B&S employee that had been outsourced to China.
The interesting thing was when they asked if she still shopped at Walmart, buying things made in China, the answer was yes.

Most people don't care where things come from they just want cheap was the point they made...
For many people this is true. There are some of us that it is knot true for. I personally know union members that buy foriegn made things. IMHO they are helping to cut their own throats. :(
Tim