Missing parts for '61 jointer guard?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rallen
Silver Member

Missing parts for '61 jointer guard?

Post by rallen »

I have the old style (61) jointer w/ the metal guard assembly that is unsecured. When I flip it over and look at it, the top of the spring appears to be fastened to the knob, but the bottom of the spring is just dangling there. Shopsmith doesn't have a diagram available for this style, and suggested I just buy the retro-fit guard. I could do this, but being curious about fixing things and liking the copper color of my current guard, I would love to find the missing parts.

It looks like I must be missing some sort of retaining washer / clip that fits into a recess of the guard for the bottom of the spring to hook into, and that the way one loads the spring is to twist the knob to put tension on it and then set it into the hexagonal hole in the table.

Does anyone know where I can get the missing parts? Or can someone describe to me what I am missing so I could fabricate it? What I visualize is a washer that sits in the round recess, somehow prevented from turning (pressure, perhaps by a retaining ring?), and with a slot in it for the spring to hook. Anyone have this kind of guard who would be willing to take a pic for me showing the underside and how this retainer is supposed to work?

I read on another forum a suggestion to cut a groove at the base of the shaft with a dremel tool for a retaining ring, or drill a hole for a small clevis pin, to hold it in place. i haven't used this tool yet, but I can see how without a retainer the guard could easily pop up.

Thanks
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Parts List for "Green" Jointer

Post by Greenvilleguy »

Here is a Diagram from my 1954 jointer. I'm assuming yours is "green". If so, they should be the same.

I looked at mine and you are on the right track. The spring fits in a washer (part A2949) the has a hex hole the fits over the stub (part A2949).

Interestly enough, it looks like I'm missing some stuff as well. Mine just sits in the table, but the diagram looks as if it's susposed to be secured from underneath with some more washers and a nut. Oh well, it's worked well for 52 years -- I think I'll leave it alone.
Attachments
Jointer Diagram.doc
(200.5 KiB) Downloaded 3010 times
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Jointer parts on eBay

Post by paulmcohen »

People on ebay sell the old guards when they upgrade to the new one. They usually go very cheap but you have to be careful. I always see Shopsmith stuff on email selling for more then new from Shopsmith, especially when they have a sale.
dusty
Platinum Member

Missing Parts for '61 Jointer

Post by dusty »

That parts diagram doesn't look a lot different than mine. Parts for the newer model may be interchangeable. I haven't checked cost of new parts but that may be a feasible alternative.
rallen
Silver Member

Post by rallen »

Mine is a 61, so I have the copper and gold "anniversary" color scheme.

The diagram is GREAT! Thanks. Could I impose on you to copy page two of the parts list?

It looks to me like the jointer came with two different sets of attachment studs; one for a table mount, the other removable. Mine is like yours; there is no provision to thread anything onto the end of the hex stud.

To fix mine, I am either going to have to fabricate a hex washer with a slot in it to catch the end of the spring, or drill a hole cross-axis in the hex shaft to put a little pin to catch it, and then maybe put a washer and retaining ring to keep things from getting scratched. Now that I understand how it was intended, I think I can figure something out.

Thanks again.

Robert

Greenvilleguy wrote:Here is a Diagram from my 1954 jointer. I'm assuming yours is "green". If so, they should be the same.

I looked at mine and you are on the right track. The spring fits in a washer (part A2949) the has a hex hole the fits over the stub (part A2949).

Interestly enough, it looks like I'm missing some stuff as well. Mine just sits in the table, but the diagram looks as if it's susposed to be secured from underneath with some more washers and a nut. Oh well, it's worked well for 52 years -- I think I'll leave it alone.
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

I know it seems strange, but there is no page two. The parts list just ends with the Guard Assembly without detailing the parts.

Would it help if I took mine apart and posted pictures and dimensions of the washer in question?
Unregistered

Post by Unregistered »

thanks! I would love to see a picture. I am told that I can buy the hex shaft, spring, hex washer and knob assembly from shopsmith for the newer version, and that it may fit mine. The entire assembly I think is $10, so I may just try that to see if it will work.

Robert
(rallen)