Cleaning Aluminium

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gyancey
Bronze Member

Cleaning Aluminium

Post by Gyancey »

I saw a YouTube video on cleaning aluminium with Marvel Mystery Oil and thought I would give it a try. At first I just used a paper towel loaded with the oil on my saw table and was surprised at the amount if oxide that came off. Then I took a 0000 steel wool and doused it with the oil and removed more oxide and the the part that I cleaned is smooth as silk. It still has the dark spots but then again so do I, old age spots. Not everything on youtube works but I am impressed with this enough to pass it along. No I am not affiliated with Marvel Mystery Oil, as a matter of fact I have never used it until today, seen it on the shelf at the store in passing for as long as I can remember.

Gary
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Re: Cleaning Aluminium

Post by ERLover »

Thanks, I am working on an ER, just finished the base frame today, tomorrow get the 2x10s for the top, then start the ER clean up.
Dark spots, senior patina! ;)
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Gyancey wrote:I saw a YouTube video on cleaning aluminium with Marvel Mystery Oil and thought I would give it a try. At first I just used a paper towel loaded with the oil on my saw table and was surprised at the amount if oxide that came off. Then I took a 0000 steel wool and doused it with the oil and removed more oxide and the the part that I cleaned is smooth as silk. It still has the dark spots but then again so do I, old age spots. Not everything on youtube works but I am impressed with this enough to pass it along. No I am not affiliated with Marvel Mystery Oil, as a matter of fact I have never used it until today, seen it on the shelf at the store in passing for as long as I can remember.

Gary
Marvel Mystery Oil is outstanding lubrication for air tools. I have used the Marvel Mystery Oil for my air tools for more than 50 some years without any major problems occurring. Prevents the vanes from seizing or hanging up during operation or when stored for longer times.
oldiron
Gold Member

Post by oldiron »

I've used Marvel Mystery oil for 31 years now. I almost always have a couple bottles of it on hand. Good upper cylinder lubricant along with freeing sticky rings.

Excellent air tool lubricant. I know it's not good breathing in any kind of oil however, I've got to say, I love the way it smells after putting a few drops in an air tool and squeezing the trigger. Reminds me of the so called good times of working late into the night hot rodding...

Never tried cleaning aluminum with it. I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Mike