Motor Start Circuits

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Motor Start Circuits

Post by everettdavis »

There have definitely been a thousand words or more trying to explain the various motor manufacturers and start circuits different Shopsmith models through the years.

Here is a graphic that may help visualize them in a manner that is helpful for most who have a basic understanding, and need just a bit more to visualize it.

Everett
Circuit to Motor.png
Circuit to Motor.png (54.26 KiB) Viewed 9220 times
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Re: Motor Start Circuits

Post by ERLover »

Thanks, you pic and explanations made understanding the start/run process very easy.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
UncleSnick
Gold Member

Post by UncleSnick »

Everett,

This is Perfect!! I just completed a reverse job with much help from posts from Joshh (https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/main ... ml#p144285) and Bill Mayo. Thanks Josh and Bill!

Without the vision of what was going on internally in the motor, it was a leap of faith when I cut the wire where the power wire attaches to the run windings(2) and start winding in the motor. This is a great addition!
My shop is my time machine. I go there and lose all sense of time!
Greenie Serial 293128 March 1955
Greenie Serial 300735 August 1955 - Bad shape, future restoration project.
Grey Serial SS102778 Sept 1981 - Reversible shorty SPT driver.
Grey Serial SS168100 Feb 1984
Band saw Serial SS48432 Sept 1981
4" Jointer Serial SS91521 Nov 1985
Jigsaw Serial 33556 Jan 1984
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A couple of pesky details:

There are TWO run windings.

The order of the start winding/start switch/capacitor is not important, but they must be in series.

The graphic is excellent for gaining understanding. :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:A couple of pesky details:

There are TWO run windings.

The order of the start winding/start switch/capacitor is not important, but they must be in series.

The graphic is excellent for gaining understanding. :cool:
Schematics/wiring diagrams are essential to understanding any piece of equipment. It is almost impossible to trouble shoot something if you don't know how it is put together (wired).

Thanks Everett. :) I am sure your diagram will help many here.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Here is a graphic representation that includes two run windings. It is not a formal schematic, it is a graphic representation to aid in visualization.

Everett
Circuit to Motor with 2 Run Windings.png
Circuit to Motor with 2 Run Windings.png (54.81 KiB) Viewed 8891 times
Here is a typical Shopsmith motor start relay into which I inserted a schematic representation for connections.
Motor Start Relay with imbedded Schematic.png
Motor Start Relay with imbedded Schematic.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 8889 times
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

John,

Here is something I put together last year for a more traditional schematic representation of the motor circuit(s) that has both sets of windings.

Everett
General Schematic for Capacitor Start Motor with Start Relay or Centrifugal Switch.png
General Schematic for Capacitor Start Motor with Start Relay or Centrifugal Switch.png (60.26 KiB) Viewed 8819 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

everettdavis wrote:John,

Here is something I put together last year for a more traditional schematic representation of the motor circuit(s) that has both sets of windings.

Everett
General Schematic for Capacitor Start Motor with Start Relay or Centrifugal Switch.png
Yes, perfect!!!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
everettdavis wrote:John,

Everett
Yes, perfect!!!
Almost. Usually only one start winding or they are in series.(i.e. only two wire ends) Meaning quite clear as is.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Good catch JPG. One of my mentors corrects me!

Here you go.

Everett
General Schematic for Capacitor Start Motor with Start Relay or Centrifugal Switch - corrected.png
General Schematic for Capacitor Start Motor with Start Relay or Centrifugal Switch - corrected.png (59.52 KiB) Viewed 8759 times