Mark V Dust Collection - Is There a Better Way??

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: Mark V Dust Collection - Is There a Better Way??

Post by algale »

dusty wrote: It works well but it is not perfect. The current short coming is that the blade still brings some saw dust up above the table. This deficiency is corrected by the SharkGuard because it also collects topside but like I said, I prefer to not have all that regalia above the table. Furthermore, my DC3300 will not lift the saw dust high enough to go overhead with the hose.

What would really solve this dilemma for me would be to have a dust collector that resided in the space beneath the Mark V.
I've thought many times about buying a SharkGuard. I may still. But clearly some kind of bracket is needed to keep the upper hose out of the way, while not running the hose so high that the DC3300 can't keep pull sawdust up through it.

Not sure why putting the dust collector under the Mark V solves your dilemma.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

algale wrote:
dusty wrote: It works well but it is not perfect. The current short coming is that the blade still brings some saw dust up above the table. This deficiency is corrected by the SharkGuard because it also collects topside but like I said, I prefer to not have all that regalia above the table. Furthermore, my DC3300 will not lift the saw dust high enough to go overhead with the hose.

What would really solve this dilemma for me would be to have a dust collector that resided in the space beneath the Mark V.
I've thought many times about buying a SharkGuard. I may still. But clearly some kind of bracket is needed to keep the upper hose out of the way, while not running the hose so high that the DC3300 can't keep pull sawdust up through it.

Not sure why putting the dust collector under the Mark V solves your dilemma.
Think small shop-vac! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG wrote:
Of course that's what I'm thinking but I'm embarrassed to admit that I still don't see what the advantage is to the subject under discussion.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote:
JPG wrote:
Of course that's what I'm thinking but I'm embarrassed to admit that I still don't see what the advantage is to the subject under discussion.
This thread has been like many others on this forum. The subject of the thread has changed. Now I do admit that the title leaves that statement open for discussion but if you read my initial comments/questions - I was looking for a more convenient way to connect the dust collextor hose to the Mark V and to route it to the dust collector. I was/am looking for a way to do this that is not compromised when either the carriage or the headstock are connected.

Now,having allowed myself to be redirected, if I connected two hoses to the lower saw guard and tee'd those into the DC3300, would I gain, lose, or retain air flow (330CFM).

I am actually digressing back to an attempt at doing this very thing several years ago.

Yes, I could spend bucks pipeing my garage and buying a big , powerful dust collector but is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A small shop-vac provides greater static pressure(vacuum) that could 'pull' debris a greater vertical distance than the DC3300. Also a smaller hose would somewhat alleviate the above table clutter.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I am back working on an old concept; two dust collection points (one higher than the other) in the lower saw guard.

Preliminary tests indicate that "it works" but I have to make a lot of saw dust to know if it works any better than using just the normal setup. Success would be defined by "virtually no saw dust" above the table top.

With what I have right now, I could connect the ShopVac to one hose and the DC3300 to the other but that would not be my first choice.
Attachments
dust collection point 004.jpg
dust collection point 004.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 13924 times
dust collection point 006.jpg
dust collection point 006.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 13924 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Nope! Still too much dust not being collected. However, this setup seems to put more saw dust topside. Topside being dusty indicates that the blade is carrying the dust up on the outfeed side through the ZCI. The collection system works fine except for that. The dust is from one (1) pass of that 2x through the blade
Attachments
Still Dusty 001.jpg
Still Dusty 001.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 13903 times
Still Dusty 002.jpg
Still Dusty 002.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 13903 times
Still Dusty 003.jpg
Still Dusty 003.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 13903 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I know I can do better than this.

I thought that maybe the topside dust was due to the fact that I was cutting very thin slivers off the work piece. Yup, ripping more reduces the topside dust but still does not pass muster.

I am thinking now that maybe my auxiliary port needs to be moved back (forward the outfeed side of the lower saw guard). This would having it collect dust just as the gullets approach the underside of the table.

Move the collection Point.
Attachments
Still Dusty Even Now 001.jpg
Still Dusty Even Now 001.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 13900 times
Still Dusty Even Now 002.jpg
Still Dusty Even Now 002.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 13900 times
Still Dusty Even Now 003.jpg
Still Dusty Even Now 003.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 13900 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Dusty, I have a wild and crazy idea for avoiding top-side dust collection. It just might work, probably isn't terribly practical.

Saw-blade gullets are designed to carry dust. Being that those gullets are flat-edged, I figure that some dust is going to want to ride in the gullet all the way through the dust-collector shroud and back up through the ZCI, where it is can come off top-side. The slipstream along the sides of the blade is probably pretty symmetrical, and passing through the ZCI on the upstroke may actually create turbulence that helps dislodge the remaing dust particles from the gullets. Your test results would seem to corroborate that theory.

The airflow in the shroud from the dust collector is pretty low velocity in comparison with the blade-edge speed, and I suspect that it does little to dislodge dust from the gullets.

So here's the idea. Instead of trying to suck the dust from the blade gullets, use an air jet to blow it out. Mount an air nozzle to the shroud such that the air jet is in line with the blade gullets, hook it to your compressor, and let it blast while sawing. It would probably be best to mount the air nozzle directly across from your DC port, so that the dust gets collected immediately, rather than swirling around in the shroud for a while.

Now personally, I think I'd rather deal with top-side collection hardware than listen to a noisy compressor. But it would be an interesting experiment.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote:
JPG wrote:
I'm not sure there is an advantage but but if it worked I could free my shop of that DC3300 which is noisy and consumes space.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty