Bandsaw throwing circuit

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Bandsaw throwing circuit

Post by kalynzoo »

Can't figure out what is the problem with my SS 520 bandsaw. The main drive using the tablesaw, drillpress or the lathe work just fine. When I use the left side powerdrive I throw the circuit breaker. I cleaned the bandsaw innards, lubricated the wheels at the bearings, checked the spacing on the cool blocks, and repeated the process numerous times. I have a brand new plastic attachment bar, the old one finally wore smooth. I removed the left plate on the SS 520 and the belt looks in good condition and I see no debris. The plastic attachment bar seems level with the two tools and there is no wobble. Any ideas? Trying to rough cut some 2x4s into 7" race cars to be assembled by my daughter's special ed class. Just frustrating, the scroll saw will take forever.
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Re: Bandsaw throwing circuit

Post by kalynzoo »

It's working! I never gave my SS a name, but perhaps a female name would be appropriate. It just wanted me to pay more attention. Anyway, perhaps the lubrication just sunk in, or perhaps I had the plastic connection pressed in too tight, (I re-adjusted it twice before). Anyway, I just finished 4 more car bodies without a problem. I keep watching the post in case any of you bandsaw users have advice for me.
Thanks. Gary
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

Glad we could be of help. :p

I notice the bandsaw has very little internal drag. If you can't easily spin the input hub (and the installed blade), then there's something wrong.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I do not know what made the 'problem' go away, but, the coupler should not be tight to the shafts. A little slack(1/8"?) is needed.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

Thanks, I do think I had the coupler too tight. But lubricating everything was probably a good idea anyway. Works great now.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

I by far not an expert here, I dont think it was the coupler position.Resistance to turn would trip the breaker. What speed was it set on when you went to start with the BS connected?
What else is on that breaker that may have been on?
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

I had a client a 15 year house, built about 1980, 2 story, master bath upstairs had a GFI in it near the vanity/sink.Does not work, 1/2 bath on the first floor off the laundry room and kitchen out too. Kitchen on one of its own, working.
Freezer in the garage, a warm winter here for WI, this was late Jan. I am checking for other dead electrical outlets. Well the freezer was bleeding red beef blood when I opened it up, outlet in the garage they had an extension cord going out to Xmas lights under the overhead door was cut/shorted. All on the upstairs Master bath circuit. Nut so wiring, to put the master bath outlets on the garage outlets, 4 hours to figure it all out. Not even code, bathrooms need a 20amp dedicated breaker and only 2 things can be on them, the outlet and light or fan.
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

I had the good fortune, or bad luck, of having my house destroyed by the 1994 Northridge Earthquake. My home was taken down to the foundation and re-engineered in the rebuild. I worked with the contractor, so my garage/shop has a 20amp dedicated circuit for the SS and SS dust collection vacuum. I turned off the vacuum and the SS still thru the circuit. I do think I had the coupler too tight and the resistance to spin was the trigger. Anyway, I hope it was that simple. Thank you for your thoughts.
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

kalynzoo wrote:I had the good fortune, or bad luck, of having my house destroyed by the 1994 Northridge Earthquake. My home was taken down to the foundation and re-engineered in the rebuild. I worked with the contractor, so my garage/shop has a 20amp dedicated circuit for the SS and SS dust collection vacuum. I turned off the vacuum and the SS still thru the circuit. I do think I had the coupler too tight and the resistance to spin was the trigger. Anyway, I hope it was that simple. Thank you for your thoughts.
I had a client, breaker kept tripping, the bolt to hold the wire/feed line in the breaker box on that breaker was loose. Just something to check
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

shut off the MAIN first if not comfortable working on live electrical juice.