Storage Cabinet System

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jdonovan
Gold Member

Storage Cabinet System

Post by jdonovan »

I picked up a set of the Shopsmith storage cabinets this weekend. Each drawer has a rubber plug on either side handle/pull. It looks like these rubber pieces have 2 functions, to keep the label for each drawer in place and to keep the drawer from opening up on its own. I have one of these rubber plugs missing. Anyone know if shopsmith has parts for the cabinets ? Any member have an extra one kicking around they want to sell? Thanks in advance..Joe
Attachments
IMG_1358.JPG
IMG_1358.JPG (578.09 KiB) Viewed 5825 times
IMG_1355.JPG
IMG_1355.JPG (250.13 KiB) Viewed 5825 times
Last edited by jdonovan on Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Re: Storage Cabinet System

Post by ERLover »

Well I got I got your finger prints on file. Sent off to HLS data base!!!!LOL
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
jdonovan
Gold Member

Post by jdonovan »

Your right, probably isn't a good idea to have a photo of my finger prints on the internet.
pilvr83
Gold Member

Post by pilvr83 »

I did not know ShopSmith sold cabinets like that.

Very nice.

I am just guessing you must have purchased them in the Ohio region.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I too am missing a couple of the ends you mentioned. I guess the clean up got them as I have not seen them in years. I have not found replacements.

I see you are also missing the plugs for the top holes. Those I have found replacements of sorts for. Rubber stoppers work and I have a post some where here on me doing that. Of course it is not rocket science.

I was in the process of buying the trio but never did get the last one and then they stopped selling them. How ever that is not a bad thing as you can't get three of them under the shopsmith (with wheels on) after you add the lift. In fact two will not fit unless you rotate one of them 90 degrees.

Anyway good luck with the search and if you do find something please let us know because I doubt we are the only ones missing these parts.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

If you look carefully at the cabinet frame you may find the actual manufacturer's name stamped on it. I have a Sears large tool storage roll around and the name of the manufacturer is stamped on the frame on the lower right. On my older boxes the name is inside the top lid and they were from 1972 and 76.
Bill V
PS If you can find the manufacturer and a website they may have the part.
jdonovan
Gold Member

Post by jdonovan »

pilvr83 wrote:I did not know ShopSmith sold cabinets like that.

Very nice.

I am just guessing you must have purchased them in the Ohio region.
I actually found them for sale in Vermont..
videobear
Gold Member

Post by videobear »

They used to, but they don't sell them any longer.
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

Yesterday I picked up a set of these cabinets. Did anyone find where these rubber plugs can be purchased? Also, does anyone know how much Shopsmith sold these cabinets for? I bought the 3 cabinets for $200. So I am interested in finding out if I got a good deal. Last question what years were these cabinets were offered by Shopsmith.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Lodgepole wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:13 pm Yesterday I picked up a set of these cabinets. Did anyone find where these rubber plugs can be purchased? Also, does anyone know how much Shopsmith sold these cabinets for? I bought the 3 cabinets for $200. So I am interested in finding out if I got a good deal. Last question what years were these cabinets were offered by Shopsmith.
I have these (all three) and bought them directly from Shopsmith but I don't remember what I paid for them. According to the link below these were $474 + shipping (for all three) back in 2008 so I would say you got a great deal. I LOVE these cabinets and have used them for years. IMHO they work much better and store more under the Mark V than the accessory shelf does. I even store some non-Shopsmith tools, e.g. marking, measurement, etc. to keep them close at hand by my Mark V. I have never seen the rubber stoppers on each end of the label notches in the drawer handles available on any other metal garage/shop storage cabinet. I don't know where Shopsmith bought these but I highly doubt anyone, anywhere has replacements. I have never put labels in mine, but even if I did I am not sure that the rubber stoppers are necessary. IF you want you could probably make a suitable wood/plastic replacement for these rubber stoppers. Let me know if you are interested and I can picture one of mine and take measurements if you want to try to re-create them. The only complaint that I have with these cabinets is I wish they were integrated with the Mark V frame so that when I move the Mark V they easily go with them. I haven't done it yet, but I have plans to build a mount to attach the red cabinets to the legs on each end of the Mark V. Once I get around to it, I will come back here and post pics of my design to mount these cabinets permanently to the Mark V (suspended underneath it). These are definitely one of the most underrated Shopsmith accessories in my opinion and I am always surprised how few of us own them on this forum...

viewtopic.php?t=7855
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor