Storage Cabinet System

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Lodgepole
Gold Member

Re: Storage Cabinet System

Post by Lodgepole »

Thanks for all of the information. I do have some of the rubber stoppers. So, thanks to your suggestion I will probably make replacements out of wood. I look forward to seeing how you mount your cabinets under the Shopsmith. Thanks again for all of the information and ideas!
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Lodgepole wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:40 am Thanks for all of the information. I do have some of the rubber stoppers. So, thanks to your suggestion I will probably make replacements out of wood. I look forward to seeing how you mount your cabinets under the Shopsmith. Thanks again for all of the information and ideas!
I'll describe what I have in mind for mounting them, but as soon as I get this project complete I will post several pics as well. IF you attempt it before I get to it, please post your findings and your solution here. So, the nice thing about the red cabinets is they have 1/4"-20 threaded inserts on both sides which was intended for mounting the carry handles that come with these cabinets. Since these 1/4"-20 inserts were mounted in the cabinet frame and intended to carry the weight of the cabinet and its contents for moving, they should be quite strong mounting points (assumption though). I am going to try to connect the three cabinets to each other to make them one solid piece by inserting 1/4"-20 threaded rod to connect them. You have to be careful about clearance issues with the drawer slides, but I think it could be possible to do this. For mounting to the Shopsmith legs I intend to use the outer 1/4"-20 threaded inserts to attach it to the left and right legs. The 2 holes on each side of the legs used for mounting the Shopsmith accessory shelf is at about the correct height for mounting a wood bracket to connect the Shopsmith legs to the sides of the red cabinets. I also intend to put a wood top on the red cabinets, but under the lower waytubes to hold lathe chisels, etc. I will do a cutout in this top to make compartments to hold lathe chisels or anything else I put here, like the 5/32" allen wrench, etc.

Benefits that I believe I will get from this permanent mounting of the red cabinets are:
  1. Easier to move my Mark V around the shop and keep the red cabinets always in perfect alignment and in place.
  2. Added weight and lower center of gravity will help with lathe turning, particularly bowl turning.
  3. Improved rigidity of having cabinets mounted between the legs should stiffen the entire frame which should lessen lathe turning vibration.
  4. Extra small shelf storage space between lower waytubes to hold tools while machine is in use, i.e. not permanent storage.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

It sounds like you have really thought this through. I think your list of benefits are on the money!
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

I was missing a number of the rubber pieces on each end of the drawer handles. I just finished cutting tool drawer liners for each of the drawers. The drawer liners are a black foam rubber. They are 1/8" thick. I got to thinking that I should be able to make something out of the pieces of the liner scraps to replace the rubber pieces on each handle. So, I cut the drawer liner scraps into 5/16" x 7/16" pieces. These pieces fit flush with the edge of the handle. But they have enough flex to stay in place. So far they seem to be working out. If this doesn't work I will then cut some pieces of pine that would wedge in place. If someone else has any additional ideas I would be interested in "hearing" them.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Lodgepole wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:13 pm So, I cut the drawer liner scraps into 5/16" x 7/16" pieces. These pieces fit flush with the edge of the handle. But they have enough flex to stay in place. So far they seem to be working out.
Sounds like a great solution to me. The original ones in mine aren't that attractive, but functional. I'll bet yours look as good or better than the original. :)
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

Does anyone have a locking caster for the Shopsmith Storage Cabinet System? Or a link where I can purchase one? I have tried searching the internet. But the number and types of casters appears astronomical!
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Lodgepole wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:32 pm Does anyone have a locking caster for the Shopsmith Storage Cabinet System? Or a link where I can purchase one? I have tried searching the internet. But the number and types of casters appears astronomical!
Yeah, there are a gazillion different caster companies and all with varying levels of quality. I have used https://www.castercity.com/plate-casters/ many times for shop furniture, etc. and they are high quality, but I don't think they have anything under 3". I believe the Shopsmith cabinet casters are 2" plate casters. You would need to check the size of the hole pattern for mounting and shop around. Just a quick search, I found these from Home Depot that might work and look similar to the Shopsmith ones, but I can't speak to their quality. Good luck.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-2- ... /203661074
📶RF Guy

Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

Thanks for the help! Next time I am near a Home Depot I will take a look. Again, I really appreciate the help!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

On topic, but questionable purpose.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

First I would say the castors on the SS storage bins are not furniture castors. The purpose is SPAM regardless of being on topic. The second link is a company in China for furniture castors with no retail sales. They are a wholesaler looking for business prospects.The contact information is a Chinese phone number and address.

Just being "on topic" should not be the criteria for letting a SPAM post on the forum.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT