First project on the Shopsmith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gsmyth
Silver Member

First project on the Shopsmith

Post by gsmyth »

My first real project on the Shopsmith, wrapped up just in time for Christmas. So I decided my first project with Dad's Shopsmith would be bunk beds for my grand daughters who were turning 3 and 5. I could not find any plans that I liked so I just went by photos I found on the internet and a friend of my son had a similar bed they let me take photos of and some measurements to get me started. Cleaned up, oiled, and adjusted the Shopsmith and began reading the manuals and practicing, starting from scratch. Made some mistakes and had some do overs but I guess that’s part of learning the craft. I chose to build a stairway because they are so young, and they have a baby sister arriving next spring and I didn’t want them using a ladder. I put in drawers underneath for storage, and built in drawers on the sides of the stairway for all their special stuff. My grand daughters were excited about getting bunk beds so I wanted them to have a part in making it. I used some wood I salvaged from their dad’s bed he had growing up, and some wood from both their great grandpas, including pieces from their great grandpa’s baby crib. The girls got to learn about sanding wood, clearing sawdust, staining, and they helped put it together by pounding in carriage bolts with a rubber mallet, using a screwdriver, putting glue in holes and pushing in button caps to cover screw holes. They were great helpers and they now have their own tool belts to help out their papa around the house. Have a few pieces of trim to finish but they are using it now. I built it solid enough to hold a herd of girls when they have friends over and hope that the bunk bed will be something that will last for generations and be handed down. Looking forward to all the projects I will make in the future.
DSmyth_20161224_Bunk_Bed_113525_4414-reduced.jpg
DSmyth_20161224_Bunk_Bed_113525_4414-reduced.jpg (821.04 KiB) Viewed 20133 times
newportcycle
Gold Member

Re: First project on the Shopsmith

Post by newportcycle »

Most awesome, great project and great idea to involve them in it.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Veeerrryyyyy nice!!!!!!!!

Interesting use of stairs.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

That is incredible! Beautiful work and a nice outcome. Love the picture! :cool:
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Beautiful work.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

Looks great, the photo says it all!
ecom1
Gold Member

Post by ecom1 »

Great work, and a great story - thanks for sharing!
Ed

Shopsmith: 2 Mark V 510 (1988,1993), bandsaw, jointer, mounted planer, belt sander, scroll saw, strip sander, lathe duplicator, conical disc sander, biscuit joiner, free standing router table with Jointech IPM-1
Other stuff: Bosch glide mitre, Ridgid 13" planer, Rikon drill press, routers, drills, and other toys
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

Very nice. The stairs look much better than a ladder - safer, too, I think.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

That is VERY nice!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Welcome to the forum and what a great way to get started with your shopsmith, well done!

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]