Carbide Spiral Cutter Head

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Carbide Spiral Cutter Head

Post by masonsailor2 »

Has anybody tried the Spiral cutterhead for the SS surface planer ? https://shelixheads.com/SHELIX-heads_fo ... _SHOPSMITH
I am considering ordering one.
Paul
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Carbide Spiral Cutter Head

Post by wa2crk »

Paul
The woodworking club in my retirement community bought a DeWalt planer about 2 years ago and upgraded to the Shelix Carbide head. It is a bit pricey and I would not go that way again for a community woodshop. I am not familiar with the construction of the SS planer but changing the head on the DeWalt was not difficult. The reason I would not do it again in the community shop is because the membership varies widely in expertise and they do not treat the equipment like they would treat their own. (far worse) However for personal use I would recommend it. They do produce a very smooth cut and the cutters are easy to replace. The most remarkable attribute is how much quieter the planer is when making a cut. The carbide teeth take much smaller bites than the regular cutter does. The 12" blades really make a racket by comparison.
The cutters are compatible with many of the square cutters used in carbide lathe tools
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

wa2crk wrote:Paul
The woodworking club in my retirement community bought a DeWalt planer about 2 years ago and upgraded to the Shelix Carbide head. It is a bit pricey and I would not go that way again for a community woodshop. I am not familiar with the construction of the SS planer but changing the head on the DeWalt was not difficult. The reason I would not do it again in the community shop is because the membership varies widely in expertise and they do not treat the equipment like they would treat their own. (far worse) However for personal use I would recommend it. They do produce a very smooth cut and the cutters are easy to replace. The most remarkable attribute is how much quieter the planer is when making a cut. The carbide teeth take much smaller bites than the regular cutter does. The 12" blades really make a racket by comparison.
The cutters are compatible with many of the square cutters used in carbide lathe tools
Just what kind of abuse does the planer receive in the community shop? I would think that easily-replaceable cutters would be great if it is of the edge-dulling variety. :confused:
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

They take cuts that are too big or run stuff through that should not go through a planer such as boards that have large splits in them. They will also run through pallet wood or rough cut lumber without checking for foreign matter that damages the cutters. It is mostly carelessnes or an "I don't care attitude".
Bill V
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Thanks for the input. I am mostly looking for anyone who has done the SS o version. Back in the day of my large shop I had a Grizzly jointer and planer with the Spiral heads and loved them. They are pricey but when you get down to it they probably save money in the long run. Especially if your time and planer down time have any value. Also the finished surface is far superior to knives as well and the dust collection is far better. I am going to order one and will let everyone know how it goes.
Paul
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

masonsailor2 wrote:Thanks for the input. I am mostly looking for anyone who has done the SS o version. Back in the day of my large shop I had a Grizzly jointer and planer with the Spiral heads and loved them. They are pricey but when you get down to it they probably save money in the long run. Especially if your time and planer down time have any value. Also the finished surface is far superior to knives as well and the dust collection is far better. I am going to order one and will let everyone know how it goes.
Paul
I will be very interested in your opinion.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

masonsailor2 wrote:Thanks for the input. I am mostly looking for anyone who has done the SS o version. Back in the day of my large shop I had a Grizzly jointer and planer with the Spiral heads and loved them. They are pricey but when you get down to it they probably save money in the long run. Especially if your time and planer down time have any value. Also the finished surface is far superior to knives as well and the dust collection is far better. I am going to order one and will let everyone know how it goes.
Paul
I too am looking forward to your review. I've had my eyeballs on those Shelix heads for a couple of years. Half of me cringes at the thought of quadrupling my investment in my Pro Planer, and the the other half thinks it would still be a bargain for an even greater machine.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I too have been looking since I have both versions of the Shopsmith Planer.

It is very hard for me to reconcile the SHELIX for CRAFTSMAN (Sears) 13'' Planer, 351.217430 $437.00 or SHELIX for DELTA 12'' Planer, 22-540 for $437.00 vs. SHELIX for SHOPSMITH 12'' Planer, 555082 $651.00.

The $214 difference in price for a Shopsmith Planer head makes it very hard to justify.

I can buy the Craftsman planer used, and the SHELIX for it, for less than the Shopsmith part alone. Just a little more than the Craftsman for the Delta.

The replacement knives are the same price.

So, why should I go ahead get the Byrd Shelix at that price?

I understand it is quiet.

I understand it takes less power.

I understand it has less tear out.

I understand if I accidentally run a nail, the stagger design allows replacement of the 1 or 2 tips that have been damaged, but only if I have used all 4 faces already on those cutters. They can be rotated 90 degrees, to use new cutter faces like the Easy-Wood Carbide lathe chisels.

Ok, I am not helping myself here…. Oh it requires more purchasing power….. Whew! I almost ordered one….

Everett
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Holy Smoke!!! These cutting heads cost real HUGE money. Is the Shopsmiith planer so poor that we are thinking a helix head will improve the cut?

If that is the case, and money is burning a hole in your pocket, buy a DeWalt 735 thickness planer. With that machine you will get fantasticly smooth surfaces and blade changes are simple as well as truly exact. Plus this 13" planer opens to 6". This wide mouth allows for edge planing.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Not at all... I love my Shopsmith planers. The Spiral Cutters are efficient, quiet, and actually economical in use as you can change a segment face of a single cutter, affecting only a small segment of the cut in a very short time to get back into production.

It is exactly the quality of the Shopsmith planers that makes such an upgrade hard to justify.

It is an improvement in cutter head design that some in the industry have begun moving to, either in OEM production or in after market offerings.

You can upgrade the DeWalt 735 for a mere $405.00
https://shelixheads.com/SHELIX-heads_fo ... r_(DW-735)

Everett