Shopsmith Air Compressor System

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Bronze Member

Shopsmith Air Compressor System

Post by 0480 »

Does anyone know if shopsmith ever made an air compressor that mounted on the shopsmith and was powered by the headstock? Someone has it advertized for sale and I was curious if and when shopsmith manufactured it?
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

0480 wrote:Does anyone know if shopsmith ever made an air compressor that mounted on the shopsmith and was powered by the headstock? Someone has it advertized for sale and I was curious if and when shopsmith manufactured it?
Yes they did, and I can knot give you the dates. Maybe someone else can? There is some discussion about them on this forum. Try a search.:)

edit: here is one such mention of it: http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=1823&highlight=compressor
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

This is new to me! This sounds like it would be an interesting new thread to start: What have been the attachments the Shopsmith made in the past that are no longer available?

BPR
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

Attachments as well as other SPT such as the Crafters Station 518510, the Joint-Matic 555458 and the Routing System 555413.
MarkFive510
Randy
Gold Member

Post by Randy »

0480 wrote:Someone has it advertized for sale and I was curious if and when shopsmith manufactured it?
Early to mid 90's if my memory is correct
tedious
Bronze Member

Post by tedious »

Actually, there were two. There was a model in the 60s that used a diaphram. In the 90s, there was a piston-driven model...noisy and barely able to keep up with some of the tools. TDS
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

I have the later model, which is manufactured by Campbell-Hausfeld. So, you can still get parts for it. The package included a portable air tank.

I've enjoyed having it. I just finished making a wood cradle to hold the portable air tank. I then mounted it to the ceiling.
recurvearcher
Gold Member

Post by recurvearcher »

I had the Shopsmith Air System made in the early 90's. It was a small Campbell Hausfeld model adapted to run on the MkV. Nice little compressor,very noisy and light duty. I never used mine for much more than filling tires and blowing dust off in the shop. With the optional air tank, it could run small nailers or a Critter type sprayer. I sold mine and moved up to a Porter Cable pancake unit. Here's a link that has more information http://shopsmith-tool-hunter.blogspot.com/
rwecke
Bronze Member

Air Compressor

Post by rwecke »

Shopsmith did indeed have an air compressor that mounted on the Mark V. As a matter of fact I have one and the sprayer that goes with it. I also have the kit to replace the filter, diaphram, etc. It came with an air hose with a coupling in the middle that allowed a garden hose to be inserted that permitted using the sprayer at a longer distance away from the machine. However the air hose became brittle and had to be discarded.
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

As you can see from this page from the Owner's Manual, Magna Power Tool Corporation did offer a compressor for the Shopsmith Mark 5 (what we now call the "500"). I believe this manual is from about 1984. I have also seen old advertisements where they used a standard garden hose as the means to connect the compressor to the spray gun.
Attachments
Page 26.pdf
(264.67 KiB) Downloaded 3168 times
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln