Shopsmith web sites down

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Shopsmith web sites down

Post by charlese »

At 5:03 PM tonight Pacific time we couldn't get in touch with any of the Shopsmith web sites. Only two things - I hope the problem is now fixed for a while! Don't think it was because of out going e-mails overloading the server.

We missed you! Couldn't help but notice there were no posts between 5:03 and 9:58 PDT

This outage couldn't have been a happy thing to the folks trying to order parts or SPTs - Not good for SS either! Glad it didn't last any longer and won't happen again.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

I noticed this too! At about 6PM Pacific time, I tried to "get on" and could knot! About every 10 to 15 minutes, I tried and was beginning to think that no one at SS wood be able to fix this 'till morning. Persistance paid off and I was able to "catch up" tonight.:D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Hi
Do you guys get a message that says "Internet Explorer can not display the website" ? I get this message very often at night and the SS website is the only one that I have a problem with. I have the same problem in St. Augustine on a different computer but that is caused by a vey weak signal on a LAN network at the site.
These types of problems can be caused by a glitch in the internet system any where along the path. The software in both of my computers have a self diagnostic program and there is nothing wrong with either of the computers.The problem as explained by a computer service company can be caused by an overloaded server or even overloaded phone circuits.
Bill
gregf
Gold Member

Post by gregf »

If you get that frequently then your ISP should be able to help with that.
But will they is another question, especially if it's in their network.

You will get the Page Cannot... message when your browser sends the page request to the server and doesn't get a response in a given time.
Anywhere along the path can be the problem. It can be congestion on a link/circuit or a link being down, or the server itself being down.
The path you take to a site can be different every time. The times you have a problem could be the same point every time.

If you have a PC and want to see what's going on, open a command prompt window and enter the following.

tracert shopsmith.net

This will show the path and how long each segment/hop took.
Cut and paste the response into an email and send it to your ISP.

To open a command prompt window you:
START > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

Last night may have been storm related.
Richwood, OH
There is no such thing as an unsafe tool, only unsafe owners. If you make a machine idiot-proof, God will invent a better idiot.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

gregf;

Thank you for this insight into the trace function.

The path that my connection takes to get to Dayton is quite interesting; I can't read (deciphor) all of the abbreviations but it is still interesting. Looking at this when things are working good and when they are not might show something.

When I do a trace, I get three columns of times. Can you shed some light on what is depicted here?

Is there a site that details all (more) of the available run functions. I know there are many but when I had direct access to this information I wasn't smart enough to pay attention?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dicksterp
Gold Member

Post by dicksterp »

Last nite Safari kept telling me it "couldn't find the server". I figured it was due to all the storms that rolled through the area last nite.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

It was storm-related -- a thunderstorm took our network routers out.

With all good wishes,
charlese
Platinum Member

Woodworking Sites

Post by charlese »

At least during the storm outage, I had a chance to view Shopnotes, Fine Woodworking, Shopsmith, Woodfinder, Blum, and others.

In my surfing, I found a site (can't find it any more) that touted a new updated way to count hits on a site by counting cookies. The good news is (if I understand it correctly) Shopsmith was right at the top of the list of many woodworking sites.

P.S. I found it! Am I reading this right? Shopsmith has many more hits than the others listed? http://www.quantcast.com/shopsmith.com
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

Nick wrote:It was storm-related -- a thunderstorm took our network routers out.

With all good wishes,
What a storm it was. I just happened to be driving by Shopsmith on I 75 when the storm hit. Traffic was backed up for miles.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

wa2crk wrote:Hi
Do you guys get a message that says "Internet Explorer can not display the website" ? I get this message very often at night and the SS website is the only one that I have a problem with. I have the same problem in St. Augustine on a different computer but that is caused by a vey weak signal on a LAN network at the site.
These types of problems can be caused by a glitch in the internet system any where along the path. The software in both of my computers have a self diagnostic program and there is nothing wrong with either of the computers.The problem as explained by a computer service company can be caused by an overloaded server or even overloaded phone circuits.
Bill
Hi Bill,
I am on their site frequently, and in the evening hours up and past midnight sometimes. I do knot get a message like that with any regularity. I did yesterday, but that was due to the storm...
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.