Help Needed on obtaining drive bearings for a 1954 Greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Re: Help Needed on obtaining drive bearings for a 1954 Greenie

Post by ERLover »

I love the Greenies I think they where better built then later models and run quieter then them, maybe because less Horse Power, I dont know, my grayling and nephews grayling are noisier then his greenie was. Just more something, could not put my finger on it.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

ERLover wrote:I love the Greenies I think they where better built then later models and run quieter then them, maybe because less Horse Power, I dont know, my grayling and nephews grayling are noisier then his greenie was. Just more something, could not put my finger on it.
Less HP probably has a LOT to do with it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I do not have much experience with my greenie headstock, but I think the gilmer belt would have more to do with 'apparent' quietness. The tension is slightly less.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ERLover wrote:I love the Greenies I think they where better built then later models and run quieter then them, maybe because less Horse Power, I dont know, my grayling and nephews grayling are noisier then his greenie was. Just more something, could not put my finger on it.
Which uses a heavier casting
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:

Which uses a heavier casting
Early "A" ones , yes. Later "B" ones, no.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Glumma
Bronze Member

Post by Glumma »

Ok here is an update on my experience.

1) I was able to replace the bearings with some jig making and 'gentle' persuasion from a wooden mallet.

2)I was able to get the whole thing back together, but I still popped a breaker. I noticed that the belt slipped in between the upper sheave because I had opened up the quadrant too far. In an attempt to back that out I chewed the speed dial gear teeth. This was a noobie thing to do and the error of that action is now obvious to me.

I am getting that repaired by service through ebay.

3) Sense then I have purchased second Greene (1955) for spare parts, but it appears that I will have two functioning systems.

4) I am now a full blown addict and have sold all of my other standalone tools ( Chop saw, Drill Press, Belt/Disk Sander, Bench Jointer) and will be purchasing two more SS's ...this time both 520's

5) I am completely redesigning my work shop around my SS's:

a) I will be removing all of my fixed benches and making the The Ultimate Work Bench by Ron Paulk
b) 1 modified greenie ( the junky one) as a dedicated drill press

c) The other 'good' greenie as a dedicated jointer/Disk Sander.

d) The two 520's as a monster table saw

P.S. My Wife is going to put a missing persons report out on me soon!