Drum Sander

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Drum Sander

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Hello

Is there any one here who has created a drum sander for their SS?

I am currently in the process .

Cant post pictures yet,,,, however when the bugs are worked out I will then.

The drum = 3" pvc with 2.5 thick inch oak tapered ends made on the lathe so the lathe centers line up .

Using the dead center w/bearing on the tail stock ,, my question is ,

I really don't want to use the drive center on the head stock to turn the drum ,it seems to be eating the end of the drum pretty fast .

Is there a better way to turn the drum?

Maybe install a axle all the way through the drum?

Has any one made one ?

Should scrap this thing and start over with a heavier but solid drum?
?

I haven't seen a SS drum any where .

Thanks for any advice .

Hobbyman2
Last edited by Hobbyman2 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Drun Sander

Post by everettdavis »

Try these:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 55#p104655

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 85#p197685

http://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic ... 79#p157479

Also R.J Decristoforo showed in the 1970's in his Shopsmith documentation how to build one in the sections about building DIY Jigs.

Hope it helps,

Everett
LR1231
Gold Member

Post by LR1231 »

Everett,

I think my buddy and I are going to build one like the one the guy documented on Lumberjocks for his Shopsmith. I am glad you posted this. I think his parents are lining up repair projects for us in their house already.

I've been meaning to ask for a while, what is that patch you are using for your avitar?

Lewis
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

:)

Thanks

Those look really good,,,exactly what I was looking for,,,,in fact they gave me more ideas,,,, I will try to post pictures when I get done with this one.

Has any one used the hook and loop felt backed paper rolls ?

I am using it now on my prototype and so far it is working very well.

It might take a while to finish the project.

Too many things on the honey to do list.

:rolleyes:

Hobbyman
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

There might be a few ideas you can use from this post:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/begin ... t5342.html

This is a sandflea like project but it had a turned pvc drum with velco and a lot of build details.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I just took delivery this morning of a 30" Flatmaster from Stockroomsupply.com. I chose the prebuilt model, but a kit can be had and modified for a Shopsmith. Check out their videos. You can build one similar.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Drum Sander

Post by everettdavis »

Hobbyman2,

I am glad you found them helpful.

I would suggest that you go back to the original post and select Edit. Correct the typo Drun vs Drum in the Subject Line so others searching for the same type of content in the future can find it when they go looking. See above where I edited my Subject Line and compare to the original post.

Please do come back and post your build pictures here as you go along. You will be rewarded with the input and knowledge, even recommendations from other forum members.

You may have to resize them, but if they are too large it will give you a message and tell you how large your submission is, and what size it must be reduced to in order to upload.

While in create or edit mode, below the text posting area is an Upload Attachment link. Click it, then you can browse your computer for the file you want to upload. Once you select it, and choose upload it, it will be either added, or the message will tell you it is too large. You may have to scroll up or down to find the message. Once you get your picture uploaded, you can go back into your text area, and use the Place inline button to place it at a specific point in your post.

Word to the wise, place a copy your photos into an upload sub-directory so when you resize them you won't be losing the original larger file by overwriting it. Been there, done that. You can erase the scratch area files you uploaded afterward.

I look forward to seeing your project!

Lewis,

COBRA (Chemical Ordinance Biological and Radiological Agents) Patch is from the Center for Domestic Preparedness in Anniston, Alabama.

It is the Emergency Management civilian training facility where I trained in Incident Command for WMD/All Hazards.

Everett
Cobra CDP.png
Cobra CDP.png (210.31 KiB) Viewed 14172 times
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

There are several of us who have made them with very good results. When I built mine I went through several design changes. I ended up slotting the melamine surface to reduce friction and also to give the dust somewhere to go during sanding. I also used 5" aluminum extruded aluminum with 3/8 wall for the tubes instead of pvc. The other change I made was my first version used standard 1/2" all thread for the screws to raise and lower the table which did not give me enough control. I switched to 1/2" fine thread ( 32 TPI I think ) which was available as all thread in 36" lengths at a local fastener supply. Also I had issues with the controls moving during operation so I changed to an adjustable friction type control using a 12 point socket ( 1/2" drive) drilled out to allow the threaded rod to pass though and an O ring which allows for adjustment of the friction on the controls. One thing I would do differently next time is I would not true up the drums myself on the SS. I would pay a machine shop to do it. It worked but it was a real pain. I used a carbide turning chisel to get it close and then used silica carbide sand paper to finish the job. One warning is wear a good dust mask. Aluminum dust would be dangerous to the lungs. The other mistake I made initially was sanding the drums to a very fine finish. I ultimately went back and roughed them up with 80 grit sandpaper which improved the grip of the paper to the drum.
Paul
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Paul,

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 85#p197685

I have admired your workmanship on everything you have done, and your photo quality is exceptional.

Everett
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Drum Sander

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Sorry for the spelling,, old eyes and dirty glasses I guess.

Thanks again for the information,,

What I am seeing here,,, are several great ideas,,,, as well as professional workmanship.

This is exactly what I am looking for.

I think I am going to scrap the three inch pvc drum and go to 4 inch,, ,,,,it seems I am getting a slight bow ,, about 4-6 thousandths in the middle when I run a board through the drum.

Thanks again.

Hobbyman2