Wow! What a month!

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ericolson
Gold Member

Wow! What a month!

Post by ericolson »

Hi, guys. It's been a while since my last post. I've lurked from time to time, but I was suffering from a bad case of forumburnoutitis. I think, at last count, I was a member of 20 or so other forums, ranging from woodworking, to Lee-Enfield rifles, to Coleman lanterns, to dutch ovens, etc. Couldn't keep up with it all. So, I'm trying to winnow it all down.
The shop has taken a back seat the last few weeks as I had surgery to repair a torn tendon in my right elbow. That made it quite painful to type on a computer not to mention doing anything in the shop. Apparently, it was an injury originally sustained when I got blown up outside of Baghdad four years ago and finally gave way completely in May. Always wondered why it was sore all the time :) . I have a few photos to get posted, but just haven't been able to. I'm a klutz as a lefty and the right arm has been as useful as a club. Had my latest follow-up today with the doc and was able to remove the brace on my arm. The right wrist is extremely weak and my elbow hurts like hell and I'm struggling with the typing. Interesting enough, my doc said typing is a great rehab exercise because it flexes that specific tendon just enough to loosen it up and strengthen it. So, here I am, pecking away, and correcting numerous mistakes as I go. I'm going to try and do some light work in the shop in a few days as I've got some Japanese shoji-screen style table lamps to build, as well as a hickory and walnut dining table. I can't lift a board right now, so that one will have to wait. Anyway, fellas, keep the threads interesting. I may not be able to contribute as much as I used to just yet, but I'm still reading, and enjoying, everything you say.
Oh, one more thing, may God Bless and look after all those folks in the flooded areas, especially any of them that may be SSers!!!
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

It's good to have you back, Eric. I hope your arm is better soon. And thank you and your fellow soldiers for your sacrifice and all you have done.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Good to hear from you again. Sorry about your bad arm. Wonder if that Alaskan Sawmill and the hefting of that green lumber helped find the weak spot for you?

Hoping, along with you, I'm sure, for a speedy recovery!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

Chuck;

I was thinking along the same lines as you: the excessive vibration from the Alaskan sawmill, along with the constant tension on the forearm while holding the chainsaw, probably pushed it over the edge. Then lifting those ridiculously heavy green slabs into my truck probably didn't help, either. Now, of course, I'm a bit gun-shy at using the mill again. I think I might try it when I'm thoroughly healed up, with a good stiff elbow brace and anti-vibration gloves. If I get the slightest twinge I'll stop. I know a fella with a mobile Woodmizer type mill that I'm planning on calling to come out and mill up the big oak log I've got in my side-yard and I've still got two big hickorys that one of my neighbors will hook up to his tractor and skid out of the woods for me.
If anything, I can at least do some serious shop cleaning and machinery maintenance for when I can get back to cutting wood. All of my clients, except one (of course. There always has to be ONE!) have been very understanding and have kept their orders. The one was a complete jerk and and called me "unprofessional" and couldn't believe "how I was inconveniencing" him! I had even offered to put him (and all of my clients) in touch with several other woodworkers to get their orders completed! Oh well. Like I said, there's ALWAYS one that has an excessive amount of self-importance.
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Eric hope you are getting better and many huge thanks for your service. The wife and I will keep you in our prayers. Its sometimes hard to push when it hurts but it should pay off.
dusty
Platinum Member

Wow! What a month!

Post by dusty »

eric;

It is really good to be hearing from you again. You had said you were going to be busy and that we might not hear much from you but I had no ides.

I sure hope that you can bring that arm back into full service. Pay close attention to the physical therapy instructions. Sometimes more is not better. Be patient with the recovery; these things don't happen quickly. It has been three years since I had my last knee surgery and I am just now beginning to feel like it is all behind me.

In fact, I am scheduled for my last followup with the surgeon sometime in July. Man, do I hope it is the "last". This man has been great but if I never see him again, it will be too soon.

Good luck with your recovery. In a couple weeks you'll have the cleanest, best oil Shopsmith in the country.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Eric:

Sorry to hear about your arm problems, but glad to hear that you are in recovery mode.

Like others mentioned, your post have been missed and we look forward to more as things get better.

Take care!

John
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Eric,

Welcome back. I am saddened by your trials. Yes I am thankful for your service to mankind and also thrilled at your upbeat approach to life. Those who go after life with a steam shovel always make a huge difference in the world. Follow the advise of the therapists and keep the faith. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.