Dado arbor for regular blade

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bcs
Silver Member

Dado arbor for regular blade

Post by bcs »

I realize this might be a foolish question, but why can't the 5/8" dado arbor be used for a regular blade?
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Dado arbor for regular blade

Post by Hobbyman2 »

?
I use myn on standard blades ?

Maybe I am doing it wrong?

Hobbyman2
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

As long as the washers/spacers are properly positioned I think it OK.

However putting a dado blade on a standard blade arbor is NOT.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bcs
Silver Member

Post by bcs »

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... oarbor.htm

Just above the "add to cart" button the SS site says it can't be used with regular blades.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

It may be because the blade may not center in the table depending on the spacer washer used on the left side of the blade. The standard blade arbor is designed to provide proper centering of the blade in the table slot
Bill V
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

It may be because the blade may not center in the table depending on the spacer washer used on the left side of the blade. The standard blade arbor is designed to provide proper centering of the blade in the table slot
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bcs wrote:http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... oarbor.htm

Just above the "add to cart" button the SS site says it can't be used with regular blades.
OK I missed the 'question'.

I cannot say why SS says no, but I suspect it has to do with the 'proper' positioning of the spacers/washers and the fact that there are likely not enough to accommodate a thin standard blade without causing interference of the end of the threaded part with the trunion. Also the 'self centering' feature' will be impossible.

So if you are leery of going against the mother ship's recommendation, do not use it for that.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

In the past, I used my dado arbor with a regular saw blade when needed. I didn't have any issues doing it that way, so I don't know why it isn't supposed to be done that way.
bcs
Silver Member

Post by bcs »

Ok, I think I can trust my eyes to get it centered. I just wanted to make sure that there were not major safety issues that I wasn't aware of.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bcs wrote:Ok, I think I can trust my eyes to get it centered. I just wanted to make sure that there were not major safety issues that I wasn't aware of.
The 'critical detail' to pay heed to is the positioning of the washers against the blade. The under cut side(center is thinner than the outer edge) MUST face the blade(both sides of the blade). That insures nothing around the hole interferes with the pressure against the blade at the periphery of the washers.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝