Spouses and woodworking

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Spouses and woodworking

Post by masonsailor2 »

We had a discussion recently about getting the spouse involved with woodworking so I thought I would post my wife's latest idea. Our relationship over woodworking has developed into a she designs it and I build it. In this case she brought me the drawings and the wood. She always has several projects in the cue so to speak and some of them remain in the cue for lengthy periods. Sometimes she brings me drawings and sometimes just a verbal concept and I have to work out the details. The materials budget has to be worked out before I start because sometimes she has a poor concept of what things will cost. This project is probably going to be a good example of that. She has no idea what the five pieces of beveled glass will cost. I sent the detail drawings of the four double beveled diamond shaped pieces and the top to our glass guy yesterday and we will get the quote today and I am pretty sure she will be set back a pace. Over the years she has developed a pretty decent idea of what the shop is capable of but sometimes she comes up with concepts that really stretch my limits as well as the shop. The codex jewelry armoir was a good example of that. It is still in the cue but a fair distance back. After we worked out the engineering difficulties ( thanks to several forum members ) I gave her the time frame to build it and she decided to put it low down on the cue. The pictures are of the drawing she did for this project and the bubinga she bought for the project.
Paul
Attachments
IMG_3917.JPG
IMG_3917.JPG (189.82 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
IMG_3918.JPG
IMG_3918.JPG (170.83 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Spouses and woodworking

Post by dusty »

Be thankful that she is involved. Mine cannot be because she is allergic to most wood (especially soft woods).

As far as cost. Well, if she gets a quote and runs with it there will be no problem other than her paying for the. She will have learned again about the cost factor.

Good luck in all your wood working endeavors.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Keep working together and you will be amazed at what you can accomplish.
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

The extent of my wife's involvement, and it is very significant, she used to tole paint some of my work. Added quite a finish to the end product.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Dansmith wrote:The extent of my wife's involvement, and it is very significant, she used to tole paint some of my work. Added quite a finish to the end product.
Well Now. That is a new perspective (for me). My better half is quite involved with my wood working. She does all of the painting (except maybe a base coat on the larger items) on my smaller projects, (doll furniture, jewelry boxes, cosmetic boxes, lamps).

I jus don't consider it wood working unless it results in saw dust.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Sanding and painting definitely qualify as participating in the process. Sometimes I think that is the part I have the most issue with. My mind is already processing the next project and it's hard to have the patience to give everything a good finish. I wish I could master the art of laquering because it takes so much less time to produce a great finish.
Paul
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

The finishing process is my least favorite as well. :)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Mine too and I show witness to that in all of my shop jigs, Not an once of finish to be had anywhere.

Some of the members do as much work on the the finish as do on a complete project. One pays the price, however. A good finish is function and not just attractive. My out feed table is an example. It gets a workout and it shows. It would be a lot better today had I used some paint or varnish or anything even a wide on oil.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
ecom1
Gold Member

Post by ecom1 »

dusty wrote:Mine too and I show witness to that in all of my shop jigs, Not an once of finish to be had anywhere.

Some of the members do as much work on the the finish as do on a complete project. One pays the price, however. A good finish is function and not just attractive. My out feed table is an example. It gets a workout and it shows. It would be a lot better today had I used some paint or varnish or anything even a wide on oil.
I too would rather make sawdust and kindling than apply finish and clean paint brushes! I keep a small can of premixed shellac and some disposable foam brushes for this exactly - once I make a jig, I give it 2 quick coats with a light sanding in-between. It's done in a few minutes, then throw the foam brush away, move the jig, and make more dust. I try to include my jigs as part of my equipment maintenance routine, but they often only get waxed when I use them and notice some drag. Oh well.
Ed

Shopsmith: 2 Mark V 510 (1988,1993), bandsaw, jointer, mounted planer, belt sander, scroll saw, strip sander, lathe duplicator, conical disc sander, biscuit joiner, free standing router table with Jointech IPM-1
Other stuff: Bosch glide mitre, Ridgid 13" planer, Rikon drill press, routers, drills, and other toys
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

My wife has no desire to help in the shop, and that is fine with me. That is my alone time. She has her sewing room in the house. I don't help her sew and she does not saw.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless