Anyone noticed this yet?

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss/summertwo.htm

Wow!
Chris
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

Yep!!!

Got the email a few days or so ago. Can you believe the sale price is what the normal price was in 2002 when I bought my newest Shopsmith Anniversary Edition 510. Go figure.
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Now if gas prices would only go back to what they were in 2002....:rolleyes:

I've been wondering why SS decided to put the 510 on sale but not the 520. Maybe a large excess inventory of 510 parts?

Gary
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Perhaps the 520 will be next months sale item.
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If only I could come out of retirement for a year. :(

Let that be a lesson to all of you who are working and making good money. Set yourself out on a buying plan that will give you the shop of your dreams by the time you want to retire. Even if you have to work another year or two.

If I could do it over again, I have at least a quarterly purchase order.

Strip sander, sand-flee, opr, extra power station, mini-mark 5, blades, sand paper, small spray booth, precision straight edges, new brad point bits, new forstner bit set, sharpening tool and the list goes on. Oh yah - clamps, clamps and clamps.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Thanks for such a good Plan Dusty,

During the past two years I have done just as you suggested.

Now I want time to play with my new toys. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
dusty
Platinum Member

Normal Price for a Shopsmith??? Is there one?

Post by dusty »

woodburner wrote:Yep!!!

Got the email a few days or so ago. Can you believe the sale price is what the normal price was in 2002 when I bought my newest Shopsmith Anniversary Edition 510. Go figure.

Woodburner's comment sparked my curiousity. What is the normal price for a Shopsmith?

I have a significant stack of old catalogs and flyers and I started looking through them for the "advertised price of a Mark V". Much to my surprise, I know very little more about that subject than I did before I looked.

The best I can tell from the advertisements that I have, the last time Shopsmith advertised the price of a Mark V was in 1992 at the Texas State Fair when it sold for ($1999.00; until this year of course when it is advertised for $2449.00 in a sale flyer online.

I bought my current Mark V 510 that year for $1799.00 as part of a package deal.

A $700 increase over twenty years doesn't seem unreasonable. I bought my new Plymouth Barracuda in 1966 for $2600.00; what is the price on a small new car today. That year, Richard Petty was driving the "Hemi Under Glass" for Plymouth (maybe Chrysler Motors). I sorta thought I was "IT"; me with my two daughters and wife in that sporty little car.

Looking at these advertisements, it sort of seems that Shopsmith really doesn't market the Mark V. Yes, they sell it but they don't market it. Not unless you call one or two pages (without a price structure) in a 100 page catalog marketing.

I wonder why that is.

The prices on everything else (all the SPT) are shown in all of the advertisements that I have.

I sure wish I had kept all of the catalogs I received over the years. Maybe some of those have the price structure detailed. But, I really don't need to know.

I have enjoyed my Shopsmith and if I lost it for some reason I'd replace it - no doubt whatsoever!!
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi Dusty,
dusty wrote:Woodburner's comment sparked my curiousity. What is the normal price for a Shopsmith?
Dusty, I am sure that you must know the answer to this question can be found on the web site: http://www.shopsmith.com/markvsite/purchaseNB.htm

I have a significant stack of old catalogs and flyers and I started looking through them for the "advertised price of a Mark V". Much to my surprise, I know very little more about that subject than I did before I looked.

The best I can tell from the advertisements that I have, the last time Shopsmith advertised the price of a Mark V was in 1992 at the Texas State Fair when it sold for ($1999.00]I have to agree with you on the marketing comment. They must have their reasons, and I think that I remember Nick talking about them on a post somewhere here...but it does seem like they could do a better job! And why don't they list the prices in the catalogs? That does seem odd. Maybe it has something to do with their sales plan: They feel the need to show the tool in all of it's forms, before they shock the potential buyer with the high "made in America" sticker?
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Raging Sale Price on 510 ($2449)

Post by dusty »

In 1992, at $1799, the price was not exactly cheap. But cheap wasn't what I was looking for.

I wanted a "complete" shop that would fit in my garage and that had a good chance of fitting into the next garage that I might have. Back then, I moved a lot and I never knew exactly what the next place would be like. That unknown factor is what kept me from having a shop earlier.

Now I had seen it; exactly what I wanted and I wasn't taking a chance of leaving Allen, Texas without it. My next day off, I went to the Shopsmith Store in Addison, Texas and spent $6,299.89 on stuff for my shop.

To this very day, I kick myself for not spending a few hundred more. I should have also purchased the Joint-Matic and the OPR. I think I must have maxed out my credit card or I would have.

I think $2500 is a pretty darn good price for a brand new Shopsmith Mark V 510. I sure hope that includes the safety equipment package that I got with mine (push stick, push blocks, etc). No one should be operating a table saw without that equipment.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

dusty wrote:...I think $2500 is a pretty darn good price for a brand new Shopsmith Mark V 510. I sure hope that includes the safety equipment package that I got with mine (push stick, push blocks, etc). No one should be operating a table saw without that equipment.
I believe that every new purchase of a Mark V, regardless if it is a 505, 510 or 520 table and fence system, comes with the safety pkg and the book, PWFET, along with the self study course.:D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.