Adding a new Incra fence

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BlueViffer
Gold Member

Re: Adding a new Incra fence

Post by BlueViffer »

RFGuy, the black knobs attach the rails to the tables. Each table has a L bracket bolted to it, I can disconnect any table individually to remove it for example the router table has 4 knobs holding it to the rails. The main table has 6 knobs holding it to the table. Think of the main table as the base and everything else is connected in via the rails. I can remove the router table loosen a few knobs slide the railing to the right raise the table assembly move the motor to the left and attach any attachment. Raising and lowering the table is easy with two carriages. Loosen the lock on the secondary carriage then loosen the lock on the main carriage while holding the adjustment wheel at the same time, reach over to the secondary adjustment wheel and raise both tables or lower both tables at the same time. When you reach your desired height you can either let go of the secondary and lock the main or you can lock the secondary then lock the main go back and give the secondary a slight adjustment up as it will have sagged just about a 16th of a inch. If I want to strip the unit down I take all the knobs loose and lift the rails off leaving the L brackets attached to the tables. Of course the end floating tables will have to be lifted off and set aside before the fall to the ground.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

BlueViffer wrote:RFGuy, the black knobs attach the rails to the tables. Each table has a L bracket bolted to it, I can disconnect any table individually to remove it for example the router table has 4 knobs holding it to the rails. The main table has 6 knobs holding it to the table. Think of the main table as the base and everything else is connected in via the rails. I can remove the router table loosen a few knobs slide the railing to the right raise the table assembly move the motor to the left and attach any attachment. Raising and lowering the table is easy with two carriages. Loosen the lock on the secondary carriage then loosen the lock on the main carriage while holding the adjustment wheel at the same time, reach over to the secondary adjustment wheel and raise both tables or lower both tables at the same time. When you reach your desired height you can either let go of the secondary and lock the main or you can lock the secondary then lock the main go back and give the secondary a slight adjustment up as it will have sagged just about a 16th of a inch. If I want to strip the unit down I take all the knobs loose and lift the rails off leaving the L brackets attached to the tables. Of course the end floating tables will have to be lifted off and set aside before the fall to the ground.
Thanks. Good to know. So, the table would have to come off to use as a drill press. Of course, I may not use the drill press often enough to be a concern. I have also thought of trying to get a 10ER to mount vertically on the wall as a drill press. Only other hiccup for me would be that I also have the Shopsmith planer that I use fairly often and I don't know how easy it would be to move the table and carriages far enough to the right to permit mounting the planer with your setup. I'll have to see how much clearance I have in my shop to possibly do this with the tables extended for SPT operation.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BlueViffer
Gold Member

Post by BlueViffer »

RFGuy,
That is why I have knobs on all the tables. Just take all the knobs off remove the rails and you have a clear path to removing the table tilting it or whatever you would do normally with out all the tables or rails in the way.

Vince
BlueViffer
Gold Member

Post by BlueViffer »

If you had the extension tables and tubes set up on your mk5 you would have to remove all of them for putting the planer on or using it as a lathe. Same thing with my setup.

Vince
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

BlueViffer wrote:If you had the extension tables and tubes set up on your mk5 you would have to remove all of them for putting the planer on or using it as a lathe. Same thing with my setup.

Vince
Vince,

No, you are right. It is a cool setup you have got. I have a small shop and only 1 Shopsmith, so it can be a challenge to try to think through all the ins and outs of trying to make everything work. There are compromises that have to be dealt with in trying to make one tool do everything. In this case, it seems that I want my cake and eat it too. If I hadn't purchased the Shopsmith planer, I could have done a benchtop model which would have been easier to store (and not require the headstock to power it).
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BlueViffer
Gold Member

Post by BlueViffer »

[/quote]
I have a small shop and only 1 Shopsmith, so it can be a challenge to try to think through all the ins and outs of trying to make everything work. There are compromises that have to be dealt with in trying to make one tool do everything.[/quote]

RFGuy,

I understand I have a garage wall with a radial arm saw and the shopsmith. Some hand held tools and that is it. Toolbox, leather working bench and reloading bench take up the rest of the usable space right now.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Vince,

In your pics, it doesn't look like you use the telescoping legs with this Incra setup. How stable (no sway or deflection) do you find this setup? I assume the 2nd carriage helps immensely in providing support and stabilizing the platform. Of course the one piece front and back Incra rails should make the platform very rigid to begin with. The floating tables and telescoping legs make the Shopsmith very adaptable which is good, but they can also be a PIA sometimes and get in the way. How about when you use the router on the left hand side? Does it wobble any or do you use telescoping legs to stabilize it?
📶RF Guy

BlueViffer
Gold Member

Post by BlueViffer »

RFGuy,
No I do not need the stabilizing legs. If you look at the rail cross section you will see that there is a lot of strength in it. If you are concerned they also have a set of legs that could be used off the rails. Yes the second carriage adds a lot of stability and ease of raising and lowering. It is more stable than using the SS stabilizing legs. The router table does not flex as it is mounted to the front and back rails just like the tables are.

Vince
Attachments
TS-IIIMOUNT-fslash-RAIL72-3T.jpg
TS-IIIMOUNT-fslash-RAIL72-3T.jpg (16.68 KiB) Viewed 73751 times
TSLEGS-2T.jpg
TSLEGS-2T.jpg (8.91 KiB) Viewed 73751 times
doggiedaddy1
Bronze Member

Post by doggiedaddy1 »

Confession, I am an OCD tool whore who believes that the guy who dies with the most tools wins. I have and have used alternatives to Shopsmith, but I really like the platform. I own 5. 2 510's that I use regularly and 2 more plus a greenie that I'm converting to dedicated shorties. Looking for another as wall mounted drill press. Yes, I have a metal working floor drill press too.
So, after scouring posts everywhere, and talking to Incra, the Incra customized fence was discontinued due to insufficient volume. I didn't like that it didn't lock down on the ends.
So here's what I'm pondering. Why couldn't the Shopsmith rail system be mounted in tandem with the Incra? And the Incra is only real sensitive about left right alignment, it doesn't ride the rails or rely on them except to lock. Cut the rails in chunks per table. Then you preserve table system expansion/flexibility and can remove the Incra easily to default to the Shopsmith fence for those setups Incra can't do. If you need to lengthen the Shopsmith fence, hit Grainger for a piece of t track framing extrusion and thread a rod for a longer rear lock rod. There are stock extrusions the right size with t tracks to sub for either 510 or 520 fence. I'm going to experiment when the desert weather cools.
Trying to think modular like Shopsmith designs. Thoughts? Suggestions.
BlueViffer
Gold Member

Post by BlueViffer »

doggiedaddy1 wrote:Confession, I am an OCD tool whore who believes that the guy who dies with the most tools wins.
So here's what I'm pondering. Why couldn't the Shopsmith rail system be mounted in tandem with the Incra? And the Incra is only real sensitive about left right alignment, it doesn't ride the rails or rely on them except to lock. Cut the rails in chunks per table. Then you preserve table system expansion/flexibility and can remove the Incra easily to default to the Shopsmith fence for those setups Incra can't do. If you need to lengthen the Shopsmith fence, hit Grainger for a piece of t track framing extrusion and thread a rod for a longer rear lock rod. There are stock extrusions the right size with t tracks to sub for either 510 or 520 fence. I'm going to experiment when the desert weather cools.
Trying to think modular like Shopsmith designs. Thoughts? Suggestions.
I thought about the same "Cut the rails in chunks per table." I even looked into connectors for the rail when cut in to two pieces to make it more sturdy. I just have not done enough other work with the SS lately to justify cutting my rails yet. As far as using the SS and Incra rails in tandom, removing the Incra setup to re setup the SS rails would be a bit of a pain in you would have to reset the Incra rails and adjust everything over again. Once set up the Incra fence system has repeatability that the SS will never have. So I don't see a need for the SS rails now that I have the Incra system set up. I can remove the Incra rails and put them back on without having to reset the rail height. But if I were to put the SS rails back on I would have to remove from the tables the Incra rail brackets and then upon re installation it would require a complete reset of Incra rail height and adjustment.