Tommy Gun toy plans?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Tommy Gun toy plans?

Post by reible »

My oldest brother use to make all sorts of things out of wood. One of them was a tommy gun with a crank that would produce a sound. It seems that he had a resource for plans that doesn't exist today, or at least seem pretty hard to find. Some of those secrets I've searched for and now one of my other brothers is on his own search. That being for plans for the tommy gun toy.

No longer politically correct in some circles he is 82 and can play with any toy he wishes.

Here is a sample of what he was able to find on the net:
tommy gun 1.jpg
tommy gun 1.jpg (150.17 KiB) Viewed 5779 times
tommy gun 2.jpg
tommy gun 2.jpg (129.4 KiB) Viewed 5779 times
Not likely this is one my brother made but it is the same style of plan so it is likely there was a source at some point. He did do a lot of his own designs and alterations of designs to fit his abilities and tools.

Funny how it is that we find questions that we should of or at least could have ask but never thought to when that person was alive. I find a lot more of that as I get older.

Anyway if you happen to have knowledge or remember owning one and fill in some of the blanks let me know and I'll pass it on to my brother. Thanks.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Tommy Gun toy plans?

Post by garys »

We grew up in a different era. Sticks and stones were our toys, and toys could be made from any piece of scrap wood we could find. Then, if Dad let us use his tools, it was time to build a toy. Today, kids don't know that they could do things like that. They buy Chinese plastic toys at Walmart and use them until the batteries are dead.
I never had a tommy gun like that, but hopefully someone here did and can help you in making one again.
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

I really hate to be negative. Like most of you, I made my toys from sticks, rocks or whatever my mind could adapt to. Toys were rare and some of them were from Japan. Like garys said, it was a very different time. Now, children are being killed by police because some one would call the police to say that someone had a gun. If you notice in the toy areas of the stores, the guns are now different colors to help folks determine that the guns are not real. I'm not blaming the police as they are responding to someone carrying a gun in the open. People are panicking because of all the terrorist being to bold and brave. But, I don't want a child to be killed either.

However, I really like the gun and the apparatus to make the noise. I am wondering if there is a small spring inside that rubs against dowels or notches in the wood to cause the sound. That will be a fun project and what young man wouldn't like to have something without batteries? I hope to see your finished project.

Steve, the old Florida gator
dynabase
Gold Member

Post by dynabase »

The noise maker was probably just a flapper. Think back to the old "playing cards in the bicycle spokes" trick.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I had a toy gun made from sheet metal that came from Japan when I was a kid. When you looked down the barrel you could still read the "Schlitz" beer label. They made use of everything.
Bill V
Woodchuck
Silver Member

Post by Woodchuck »

I know it don't look the same but here are some plans
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Tommy-G ... ans/T24226
Here is another one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSVZ_yWgZv4
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

So I went to sketchup and using the images he got me I did a few guesses and came up with a set of drawings for what I thought would work. I sent them to him with some basic dimensions and he got to making up a model. Playing card for the noise maker at this time so it is a working version.
PART95149141211342195IMG952017040595120657304.jpg
PART95149141211342195IMG952017040595120657304.jpg (397.84 KiB) Viewed 5626 times
He has a few improvements to make but general concept is there.

So at this point I think we can end this thread unless someone finds it interesting to continue. I do thank you for your considerations.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]